Best Time to Avoid a Heart Attack - When to take your meds!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXGal

Hello Everyone!

I know I always show up sporadically on the boards, but I saw a Dr. Oz episode last week and have been meaning to share what he explained as to WHEN to take your meds to help prevent a heart attack. He mentioned that most heart attack victims are found in their bathroom in the morning and explained why that is most common.

I found this interesting because I have never been told when to take my meds (Coumadin/Lanoxin/Magnesium), but I do take them at night. If you are taking BP meds, Coumadin/Warfarin, Magnesium, etc, then NIGHT-TIME is when he suggests you take your meds, and here's why:

It may sound funny, but it’s true. There’s one time of day when you can dramatically decrease your chances of dying from a heart attack. Here are the 6 things you need to know!

It’s probably no surprise in this overscheduled world of ours, that our bodies stick to a pretty rigid rhythm themselves. And understanding our internal clocks gives us the power to do everything we can to stay healthy, and, in some cases, stay alive. Here’s what you need to know to stop the #1 killer of women—heart disease—from stopping you.

Here are 3 reasons heart attacks are 3 times more likely to strike in the morning than the evening:

1. Blood pressure is highest in the morning because it rises quickly to get you ready for the day. In fact, your heart needs 50% more blood to go from being asleep to being awake, and as that blood pulses through your blood vessels, the increased pressure can tear the vessel lining.
2. Blood vessels are thicker in the morning. Just as our muscles and joints feel stiffer when we get up, our blood vessels are thicker and more rigid. It’s harder for them to bend and flex, which makes them more likely to build up plaque; combine that with high blood pressure, and it’s a recipe for artery rupture.
3. Blood is thicker in the morning. The platelets in our blood, which help it clot, are stickier in the morning and more likely to stick to blood vessel walls, plus the system that combats blood clots is not as active in the am. And when stickier blood hits the scars and tears caused by high blood pressure and stiff arteries, clots form, and the stage for a heart attack is set.

1. Take most of your meds at night.

* Blood pressure-lowering medications can ward off the morning pressure rise when you take them before bed.
* Meds to lower cholesterol also work better when taken at night, because the liver likes to make extra cholesterol while you sleep. Keeping your cholesterol down in the morning will help reduce the fragility of any plaque build-up in the arteries.
* Baby aspirin, which thins the blood and make it less likely to clot, can help your blood flow better in the morning when taken just before bed.
* Magnesium (500mg) taken before bed will help your blood vessels relax and open up. Pair it with 1,000 milligrams of calcium to keep the magnesium from causing runny stools and help stabilize plaque in the arteries.

To read the article on his site visit: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/best-time-avoid-heart-attack

Last edited:
No problem! My MIL just changed her meds now to night-time. What he described made sense, so I'm sticking to taking my meds at night-time! I'm glad I know now that it is the best time to take them.. I have always been told whenever it's convenient for me..

I am doing very well, thanks!! Todd, I love his show.. he's one of my top watched shows on my DVR! I love hearing his opinion on health and staying healthy!

Interesting. I do swallow one bp med at bedtime, so I guess that's good. I do think for various reasons there is more vulnerability first thing in the morning, however, I tend to be rather fatalistic about such -- when your time's up on this earth, it's up.

The best time to take meds is the time that the druggist instructs me to....I take 8 Rx meds in the am 15 Rx at bed time and 2Rx at 3am (Lasix) I take rwo insulin injections in the am one at noon,one at dinner and two at bedtime ....as it was explained to me by a doctor once that the practitioner knows the effective Rx but the druggist works with the companies to optimize the meds in a proper time and mix ....

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited:
The best time to take meds is the time that the druggist instructs me to....I take 8 Rx meds in the am 15 Rx at bed time and 2Rx at 3am (Lasix) I take rwo insulin injections in the am one at noon,one at dinner and two at bedtime ....as it was explained to me by a doctor once that the practitioner knows the effective Rx but the druggist works with the companies to optimize the meds in a proper time and mix ....

>>>>>>>>>>>>

The only Rx meds he was suggesting taking at night were the ones above.. Blood thinner, BP medicine, cholesterol... Non-prescription he suggested Magnesium & then Calcium to offset the nausea of Magnesium.. Of course if you're taking others and may have some type of other reactions, that's a case by case matter..

Jkm7.. Sorry to hear about your HA.. he said most happen in the AM, not all.. hope you're doing well!

Latest posts

Back