Bentall Procedure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul

Just got back from my angiogram, spoke with the surgeon and he said I will require a root replacement as well as an artificial aortic valve. He refered to it as the Bentall Procedure. I was just expecting a valve replacement but when they took the measurements the root has to go as well.

That being said is there anyone else out there that had this done ? Is recovery longer? More risk? Any information will be appreciated.
He said I will be doing the surgery in the next two to three weeks.

Thanks in advance Paul

Hi

Yep, that's essentially what I had last surgery.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentall_procedure

As far as I know (and I would not know much) the recovery is the same. The point my surgeon made was that time in surgery was a little longer due to complexity, such as the arterial re attachment. This depends on your arch vascular anatomy. My own is what is referred to as bovine anatomy.

http://www.ajnr.org/content/27/7/1541.full
The bottom line is that it is good to get the aorta tied down as this is (after your valve replacement) a common cause of a redo surgery with a mechanical valve

This will be my second surgery, the first at age 11 with a bicuspid repair, now the replacement. The quick five min talk after my angiogram didn't quite get all my questions answered. All I know is he doesn't want to go in for a third time and repair the root.

I am assuming that life after surgery will be the same with a Bentall procedure as it would with just a valve replacement.
Thanks for your reply pellicle.

Hey Paul
What age are you now?
I had a valve repair at 10 and a replacement with a homograft at about 28
Had my mechanical in my third at 48 when they did the aneurysm
Life is fairly normal for a guy my age now.

Just turned 50. Going to be on warfarin so I guess enjoying a Jamaican rum buzz by the pool is out of the question from now on.

Paul;n869411 said:
Just turned 50. Going to be on warfarin so I guess enjoying a Jamaican rum buzz by the pool is out of the question from now on.

Bwaaaa

And yet another contestant fails the question

Sorry but that particular myth is my favourite wrong answer.

Tons of threads here about that, yes you can still drink. You can drink in moderation and have no observable effect or you can get staggering drunk daily and just adjust your dose accordingly

Self testing my friend is your answer. As London Andy just made an excellent post on

http://www.valvereplacement.org/foru...409#post869409

Next you'll probably be lamenting you can't eat salads (moving into myth #1)

Some reading for you from my blog
http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2014/09...ng-my-inr.html

I just travelled to Finland from Australia (oops, the can't travel myth busted) and because I self test and self manage that has had zero impact on my INR or my lifestyle.

I've been renovating my house this last year (sharp tools and power tools, cuts and bruises galore, not dead yet not did I bleed to death, so myth 3 and 4 busted) and this winter (as of winter 2013) I will be out cross country skiing most days (busting myths about it makes you feel the cold more) in temps as low as -20°C

Enjoy life with your new valve as really nothing much has changed

Paul;n869411 said:

No way! I was almost drunk last night (I said almost). ZERO problems with alcohol and Warfarin, other than I talk crap and giggle a lot.
Gives me one of doze boz tings wid dee ombrella, mon.

I'm two weeks out from aortic valve and root replacement with aneurysm repair. As has been said, it's more complex, and should you need surgery again, that one will be more complex. I don't think recovery differs.

Agian;n869429 said:
You bet.

Was waiting for you to resurface. How's Finland.

Good, things are falling into place here.
Bicycle tyres even held air after being flat for 2 years.
I have a bed today too, so no longer sleeping on the floor!
(...of course you can't sleep on the floor when you are on warfarin)
;-)

A typical detached house not far from my apartment
14706995_10154604805062498_3189425540912636933_o.jpg

pellicle;n869440 said:
(...of course you can't sleep on the floor when you are on warfarin)
;-)
You're taking unnecessary risks! Sometimes I'm forced to tie myself to a lamp-post, to be safe :-( People stop staring after a while: 'It's OK son... he's on Warfarin.'

Well its over.... got done on Oct 27th. Had a few hiccups but for the most part doing well. Still haven't quite got my Inr figured out but I hope that will be over within the next week or so.
Cant stand the TICKING.....they say I will get use to it but it doesn't seem possible. Cant wait to get to the six week mark so I can drive my self around, depending on other people is killing me it is not in my nature.

Hey Paul

Glad you are through and on the other side.

As to the ticking it's still something I am aware of from time to time (like right now). But you've got time to get used to it. With each passing year I notice it less and less.

Sometimes I like it. I often use it as a barometer of myself, like observation that my hr is high suggesting I am anxious about something for instance.

Lying around in bed I am more likely to notice it than out doing things. Saw a movie last night, don't recall hearing it.

Don't let it rule you, but no denying that it's there.

:)

At the very least I expect that by the time you may be wondering about replacing a tissue valve and getting anxious about the next surgery you'll be well used to it

Latest posts

Back