Bentall’s pricedure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you've already had your procedure? Or do you mean that either your aorta or your annulus are 19mm? You would not have a dacron tube unless you've already had your procedure, as dacron is the material used for the tube that replaces the aorta.
Thanks for your reply. My first surgery was David’s procedure . The valve has now prolapsed . This happened 6 mths after the surgery. Now LV is dialated and the aortic valve needs to be replace. Had a TOE and my native valve size is 19mm may be considering this the Dacron put to replace the aneurysm is 19mm. My surgeon has now recommended Bentals procedure to replace the root and put a bigger valve. Wondering on a 19mm tube won’t it be difficult to fix a bigger valve and root. As the Dacron tube is solid and stiff. ( that’s what I know) any comments will be useful
Thanks
Deepak

Thanks for your reply. My first surgery was David’s procedure . The valve has now prolapsed . This happened 6 mths after the surgery. Now LV is dialated and the aortic valve needs to be replace. Had a TOE and my native valve size is 19mm may be considering this the Dacron put to replace the aneurysm is 19mm. My surgeon has now recommended Bentals procedure to replace the root and put a bigger valve. Wondering on a 19mm tube won’t it be difficult to fix a bigger valve and root. As the Dacron tube is solid and stiff. ( that’s what I know) any comments will be useful
Thanks
Deepak

Well, you certainly don't want them to put in a valve that would be too small, and 19mm is very small, which can often result in problems down the road.

It is always a good idea to get a second opinion from another surgeon and I would suggest this would especially be a good idea for you, to get another opinion as to whether it is necessary to replace your Dacron tube in order to put a larger valve in.

When I discussed valve sizing with my surgeon, he indicated that the CT scan is only an approximation for the size, and that he will not know my size until he actually has me open and measures it by hand. He literally eyeballs it, and then tries a few sizes to see the right fit. So, it is important to have several on hand. He also indicated that he has a method he uses in the event that the annulus is too small, so as to avoid putting in a small replacement valve, in which he enlarges the annulus. But, given the fact that you have a pre-existing Dacron tube, I am not sure this method would work for you.

Last edited:
So you've already had your procedure? Or do you mean that either your aorta or your annulus are 19mm? You would not have a dacron tube unless you've already had your procedure, as dacron is the material used for the tube that replaces the aorta.
Hi Chuck
I had a David’s procedure later within 6 months the native valve prolapsed . Now my regurgitation is severe. The native valve is 19 mm and Dacron put is 19 mm. Now the valve needs to replaced along with the root. Bentall’s procedure this will enable the surgeon to put a bigger valve. I have been told that for the root and valve replacement the device comes with at judes valve. But I am wondering if my native valve is 19 , Dacron is 19 will a surgeon be able to replace native with a bigger valve and connect it to the 19mm hard Dacron tube ?

Latest posts

Back