Before and after run times

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The question is when before surgery. I'm a cyclist, and I had steady clear decline in performance in the years before surgery. I'm three months post-op, and I am already ahead of where I was last summer but a ways to go to where I was the previous year. Now if I can hit my performance from a decade ago...:LOL:

Had my AVR about 4 months ago. I am 63 y/o and I never was into running, couldnā€™t do it. My old bav would leave me gasping like a fish out of water after a block. Yesterday I ran ( very slow jog). 2 1/2 miles and did it with smile on face. Truly a miracle. Not only that but several systems in my body seem to be working so much better, eg knee pains going away, less migraines, vertiginous feeling gone, increased agility and stamina. I can also think better.

I thought I would give a quick update on how I've found running post surgery. My first jog (all of about 800m) was 8 weeks after my operation. It was a terrible mistake. Everything hurt and my heart was not happy at all so I returned to fast walks.

I tried again at 10 weeks and it was still incredibly hard. My pace was around 10 minutes per mile and I could just about make it a mile and a half before needing to walk.

Fast forward to today (roughly 4 months post surgery). I'm running 6 days a week and covering c. 30 miles. The furthest I have run is 10 miles but I struggled towards the end and it took 1h20. My 5km time is 21:30, which is 3 minutes slower than one I ran a few weeks before surgery.

In general I'm feeling positive. I'm about 6kg heavier than I was and I'm lacking some muscle strength so there are still gains to be made. My next goal is a half marathon in early March but for now I'm just enjoying the journey and making the most of my new life.

I had my second AVR in 2004 at the age of 22 where I had a homograft inserted. In 2012 at the age of 30 I ran my quickest 5 km at 20:27. I found I was able to live a full, active and carefree life while this valve was functioning. At 38 I noticed I was running short of energy after exercise. I had my third AVR last year at the age of 38. I had a mechanical valve installed and needed a pacemaker installed also. I'm walking about 3 km a day and am mentally fine with the idea that I won't be returning to being physically extremely very active. I guess for me I packed into the years I could, all the physical activity I needed

I'm walking about 3 km a day and am mentally fine with the idea that I won't be returning to being physically extremely very active.

Hi TomM. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for sharing. I'm curing why you believe that you won't be able to return to being extremely very physically active? Are these doctor's orders, or do you not feel like you can?

8 months ago, I had my aortic valve replaced with a mechanical valve, as well as a good amount of my aorta with a dacron graft. I've had the clearance to return to hard physical training for about 4 months now and have done so.

Hi Chuck. It's really my own estimation of my situation. Not doctor's orders. I've a pacemaker installed also since the last AVR. I went to cardiac rehab about two weeks ago for the first time since the surgery and done a step test. The physio said I was not able to break out into a run as yet. Judging on where I'm at from previous avrs I'm not in the same league physically as before. For instance in 2005 5 months after a homograft AVR I went on a three month trip around Australia trip full of activity. I am a little wary of over exerting myself this time. Possible when I finish out the cardiac rehab course I'll be in a different position with regards to exerting myself

Hi Chuck. It's really my own estimation of my situation. Not doctor's orders. I've a pacemaker installed also since the last AVR. I went to cardiac rehab about two weeks ago for the first time since the surgery and done a step test. The physio said I was not able to break out into a run as yet. Judging on where I'm at from previous avrs I'm not in the same league physically as before. For instance in 2005 5 months after a homograft AVR I went on a three month trip around Australia trip full of activity. I am a little wary of over exerting myself this time. Possible when I finish out the cardiac rehab course I'll be in a different position with regards to exerting myself
Give it time. Stick with the rehab and stay positive. It sounds like something from a cheesy motivational poster, but belief that you will improve and determination will take you a long way!

I was 43 when I had the AVR in 1991. Of course I did very little running the years prior and following OHS, but I was a runner for decades. So, I compared running times that I had 2 years before and 2 years after the surgery. Before the surgery I could run a mile in about 6 minutes and a 5K under 21. Then afterward the times were an 8 minute mile and 25 for 5K. In retrospect, I believe I could have trained harder than I did and come fairly close to the times I ran earlier. One problem with that is I was in virgin territory. There was no forum like this to help me and no one I ever met who had returned to athletics after OHS. In all, in 40+ years, I ran over 500 races from 200 meters to half-marathons, 150 before the AVR and yes, 350 events after.
What did you get repaired or replaced?

Give it time. Stick with the rehab and stay positive. It sounds like something from a cheesy motivational poster, but belief that you will improve and determination will take you a long way!

I know this is an old post but this gives me some hope! I'm due for surgery next month. Over the last year I've run a 1h19 half marathon and a 16 minute 5km. I'm really hoping I can get somewhere close to that again post surgery.

Can I ask how you approached starting training again? Was it like starting from scratch?
I am starting my 5th week out of AVR and getting back to my all out hillwalking has been a non-issue with the exception of breathing restrictions due to the healing sternum. From day one Rehab had us on a bike which kept the legs in shape as well as the heart pumping.

I went out yesterday on a 2.7 mile jog and the last mile was mostly up hill. I was chugging a long breathing pretty hard listening to some music in my AirPods and caught my toe on lip of sidewalk (wasnā€™t paying attention) did an extension of both arms , turned head, arched back and grazed knees and landed on chest). Had strawberry on my upper maxillary area,superficial. Got up off the concrete (man that is hard) and noticed nothing broke and ran home. My wife looks at me and immediately asks ā€œWhat happened?ā€. Iced everything down and put some aquaphor on abrasion. Stiff as a board this morning but the hot tub saved me.
I really think I avoided a colles fracture by doing a ā€œSupermanā€ with both arms extended. Pay better attention could have been a disaster.

Latest posts

Back