Before and after run times

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumoRunner

I was 43 when I had the AVR in 1991. Of course I did very little running the years prior and following OHS, but I was a runner for decades. So, I compared running times that I had 2 years before and 2 years after the surgery. Before the surgery I could run a mile in about 6 minutes and a 5K under 21. Then afterward the times were an 8 minute mile and 25 for 5K. In retrospect, I believe I could have trained harder than I did and come fairly close to the times I ran earlier. One problem with that is I was in virgin territory. There was no forum like this to help me and no one I ever met who had returned to athletics after OHS. In all, in 40+ years, I ran over 500 races from 200 meters to half-marathons, 150 before the AVR and yes, 350 events after.

Don’t forget you went from 41 to 45 years old as well. Even without surgery, that’ll take some time off. For me, my PR is 24:57 but I had an old school pediatric cardiologist who didn’t let me do anything before surgery. All my running has been after surgery. I was 24 years old and six years post surgery before doing my first 5k.

With a lot of training and a decent tail wind, I can still break a half hour after two surgeries now. Coming up on 48 years old.

About a year and a half before my surgery I ran a 21:55 5K, in April 2011. Had OHS in 2012 at 55. Ran my best post surgery 5K in 2015 at 58, time 27:14. This was a cross-country course that wasn't the fastest. So I think I lost about 5 minutes post-surgery. My EF is low and I'm on a beta blocker. I haven't run well for a couple years but I think I'm getting stronger and hope to be running better soon. I've run races since I was about 18 years old, distances from 5K to 100 miles. Covid has delayed racing and looking forward to a race next year.

Last edited:
Hey everyone I’m a little new to the forum, but I found it funny that this question was brought up about exercise tolerance after OHS. I was very very physical prior to my surgery and my paces were around 6 minute mile paces and I would typically run 30-40 miles a week. I am only 20 years old and had my surgery 3 and a half months ago. The doctor cleared me to go back to running and working out. I have had a more difficult time getting my paces back. That being said, I have had four months off of running and am out of shape from were I was. I now find myself tired after 2 miles and I can barely break an 8 minute pace. I am thankful that I still get to run and can be physical, but am hoping I can get back to the lower times I had previously. I was on a beta blocker for a short period of time, but am not on one any more.

Even though heavy (95kg) I run daily. Pre AVR surgery I was faster, but still find that with my doctor mandated max of 145 bpm I enjoy it. My best 1/2 was 1:47 and best full 3:59 (at 45). My 10 k is currently a leisurely 1 hour and 8 minutes.

At the time of my AVR, I was probably ~190 lbs (86Kg) but many years later it rose to 250 (113Kg) and I still ran daily, only slowly. I did roughly 1000 miles per year (1600 Km) over 40 years when I had to stop. It wasn't the heart that stopped me. It was arthritis in the back. I still walk 3-4 miles daily, and swim about 3-4 miles a week. My weight is back down to ~195 lbs now.

Before the surgery I could run a mile in about 6 minutes and a 5K under 21. Then afterward the times were an 8 minute mile and 25 for 5K.

I ran about a 20’30” 5K when I was in my early 40s. I’m 49 now, almost 50, and I haven’t done any races since my AVR in January of this year, because global pandemic, but my training times don’t seem any slower than just before surgery. I’ve run a couple sub-25 minute 5Ks without working too hard. I suspect I could get under 21 in a race.

I ran about a 20’30” 5K when I was in my early 40s. I’m 49 now, almost 50, and I haven’t done any races since my AVR in January of this year, because global pandemic, but my training times don’t seem any slower than just before surgery. I’ve run a couple sub-25 minute 5Ks without working too hard. I suspect I could get under 21 in a race.
I know this is an old post but this gives me some hope! I'm due for surgery next month. Over the last year I've run a 1h19 half marathon and a 16 minute 5km. I'm really hoping I can get somewhere close to that again post surgery.

Can I ask how you approached starting training again? Was it like starting from scratch?

Late to the party here -

Pre surgery I was running 20 minute flat 5ks and 45-50 min 10ks. Had my valve sparring david's procedure in Feb this year. I'm about to go for my first proper run this week. Will keep you all posted, but just quietly i think its going to be a horrific spectacle. I'm hoping to just being about keep moving for a few km's.

I know this is an old post but this gives me some hope! I'm due for surgery next month. Over the last year I've run a 1h19 half marathon and a 16 minute 5km. I'm really hoping I can get somewhere close to that again post surgery.

Can I ask how you approached starting training again? Was it like starting from scratch?
Those are some solid times. I had similar PR’s in my mid 40’s (I’m 56 now). I gave up running due to a heel spur in my early 50’s and transitioned to rowing and weight training so I can’t speak to how my post AVR running times would have compared. However, I’ve returned to rowing after my surgery on 3/2 and have steadily improved each week. I‘m on track to match my rowing PR’s by the end of summer. I wouldn’t be concerned about starting from scratch. Build slowly and progressively and you may surprise yourself.

I started walking right off the bat — even in the hospital. I went for regular brisk walks every day until I was cleared to run four months after my surgery, then I started running and biking on my usual schedule. It felt good — not like starting from scratch! I also did cardiac rehab for a few weeks in February and early March, but it got cut short because of COVID-19 — my surgery was in January, 2020.

I thought cardiac rehab was great, and I highly recommend going through the whole course. If I had completed it, I would have gone from moderate intensity to high intensity activity with supervision. As it was, I essentially did my own cardiac rehab course by easing into running.

I’m just as active now as before my surgery, and don’t feel as though the valve slows me down at all. If anything, I feel free to sprint, because my cardiologist says no restrictions, except for extreme sports in which bleeding is likely due to injury. Before my surgery my cardiologist said I couldn’t go all out when running, and now I have no such restriction.

I’m on Carvedilol, but it doesn’t seem to affect my ability to reach my peak heart rate.

Last edited:
Now that I’m 50, I’m eager to run competitively again to see if I can place in my age group!

I started walking right off the bat — even in the hospital. I went for regular brisk walks every day until I was cleared to run four months after my surgery, then I started running and biking on my usual schedule. It felt good — not like starting from scratch! I also did cardiac rehab for a few weeks in February and early March, but it got cut short because of COVID-19 — my surgery was in January, 2020.

I thought cardiac rehab was great, and I highly recommend going through the whole course. If I had completed it, I would have gone from moderate intensity to high intensity activity with supervision. As it was, I essentially did my own cardiac rehab course by easing into running.

I’m just as active now as before my surgery, and don’t feel as though the valve slows me down at all. If anything, I feel free to sprint, because my cardiologist says no restrictions, except for extreme sports in which bleeding is likely due to injury. Before my surgery my cardiologist said I couldn’t go all out when running, and now I have no such restriction.

I’m on Carvedilol, but it doesn’t seem to affect my ability to reach my peak heart rate.
Thanks John. I really appreciate the reply. Sounds like you're doing amazingly well! I'm keen to get signed up to rehab after the op as I have a habit of overdoing things.

jogged on the treadmill for the first time since my surgery this morning :)
now that i've been cardioverted i felt it was time to begin running again

did a light jog at a v v moderate speed (10km/hr) for 20 mins
no problems
felt easy, as it should have done
heart rate got up to around 115 beats/min
i'm on bisoprolol and was a bit worried it would feel like driving a car with the handbrake on

i reckon in a few weeks i should be running at 13km/hr for 30 mins...heart rate up to 130b/m

no problems
i'm on bisoprolol and was a bit worried it would feel like driving a car with the handbrake on

i reckon in a few weeks i should be running at 13km/hr for 30 mins...heart rate up to 130b/m
Congratulations! That's a great start. Do keep us updated - I'll be interested to see your progress.

First proper run since surgery today.
Surgery was 18 Feb 2021.
First 8 weeks I did daily walks
From there I graduated to stationary exercise bike every 2nd day.
Over the last 2 weeks I've added resistance bands and managing sets of 10 push ups

Here is the comparison data before and after surgery for a 4k route which I used to use train for a 5k
I am on Labetelol... which didn't seem to effect my HR that much, but I am on a low dose. It's a long way back to fitness but enjoying being able to get after it again. If anyone is on Strava let me know, and I'll give you a follow.

BEFORE
before run.PNG

AFTER:
After.PNG

Long way to go... but I feel pretty happy with this effort.

Last edited:
First proper run since surgery today.
Surgery was 18 Feb 2021.
First 8 weeks I did daily walks
From there I graduated to stationary exercise bike every 2nd day.
Over the last 2 weeks I've added resistance bands and managing sets of 10 push ups

Here is the comparison data before and after surgery for a 4k route which I used to use train for a 5k
I am Labetelol... which didn't seem to effect my HR that much, but I am on a low dose. It's a low way back to fitness but enjoying being able to get after it again. If anyone is on Strava let me know, and I'll give you a follow.

BEFORE
View attachment 887962

AFTER:
View attachment 887963

Long way to go... but I feel pretty happy with this effort.
Nice first run back. And as a bonus you managed to burn more calories this time around 😉

no problems

This is so good mate! a quicker pace than me on my first run, and I'm 10 years your junior!

Latest posts

Back