Been a while since I've been here! ON-X questions....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6 for Sarah

My human tissue AVR is failing now 12 years post op. I went from trace to mild regurgitation last year to moderate to severe this year. I am researching options for a new valve. I cannot take NSAIDS at all, ever. Not oral, nor topical nor systemic. I was reading with the On-X they recommend daily aspirin also. Does anyone have this valve and do Coumadin only? Any personal experiences with surgeons in the Boston area? Mass General in particular?

I would think you could go with an On-X but you would simply have to keep Coumadin levels at a higher INR level... interesting question.

6 for Sarah;n869627 said:
I was reading with the On-X they recommend daily aspirin also. Does anyone have this valve and do Coumadin only?

I think quite a few do warfarin only. Maybe not on the site, but in the general population.

I have the ATS valve and do warfarin only.

I self test and fully self manage, aim for a target INR of 2.5

I have taken a 81mg asparin along with warfarin(Coumadin) for the past 2-3 years. Prior to that I took only warfarin for about 47 years. My Cardio told me that the introduction of the asparin to my meds was the "new thinking" and was to make the blood cells a little more slippery......and had little to do with anti-coagulation therapy. It did not alter my INR as far as I know. I have taken the same dose of warfarin(37mg weekly) for the past decade or so. I would contact On-x for their input.

Hi!, I had also a B-AV replaced Nov-9-2015; during the first 6 months i was mainly learning to deal with ups and downs in the INR, but kept it checked once a week, one time at home one time at lab. During those initial months i was taking both ASA and Warfarin. After those first 6 months, i learnt how to keep my INR stable within a range and Stop Taking the ASA 81,mg. BUT, even though On-X tells we can keep the INR between 1.5 and 2; I keep it between 2 and 2.4; most of the time it is at 2.3. I am very happy with choosing the On-X valve, i only hear it in a couple of positions when i sleep, other than that "is not there". Good luck,

jasond1979;n871042 said:
Good feedback. . . my question to the on-x users on Warfarin can you do normal sports say jogging bicycling ect? Or can you only walk for exercise

jason

On-X or otherwise, unless there is a greater health issue, nobody that I know of is limited to just walking for exercise because of a tissue or mechanical valve or warfarin. Some people on here are avid marathoners, others do mountain biking, road biking, snowboarding, skiing, etc. You get the idea. I did a fair amount of mountain biking in my 20's and ran a 25k a few years ago. Used to play some pickup basketball at a local health club too.

Regarding meds from the OP - I took only warfarin for the first 19 years, then when I had my aneurysm fixed, they added aspirin and metoprolol. New thinking combined with not being a teenager anymore contributed to med changes. Not the valve by itself. For the record, I have a St. Jude mechanical.

jasond1979;n871042 said:
. . my question to the on-x users on Warfarin can you do normal sports say jogging bicycling ect? Or can you only walk for exercise

jason

Unless you have other conditions that might limit activity you can do literally anything that interests you. About the only thing you should not do is "run with scissors", or "chain saws".......I've found everything else is fair game.

There are only two mandatory issues with warfarin. (1) take the warfarin as prescribed and (2) test your INR on a regular basis.........it's really that simple.

jasond1979;n871042 said:
. . my question to the on-x users on Warfarin can you do normal sports say jogging bicycling ect? Or can you only walk for exercise

I know that On-X is the site sponsor, but the reality is that On-X or St Jude or ATS Or any of the modern bileaflet mechanical valves are barely distinguishable from each other.

I don't know what level of bullshit and who had been feeding your information processes, but if you aren't otherwise handicapped by medical problems then you can do anything you would normally consider, I cross country ski and I have an ATS valve and am on a warfarin like any other mechanical valves.

But don't just take my word for it (or all of us here pretty much)

This is about as hard as it gets and she did it with a mechanical valve...
http://www.heart-valve-surgery.com/h...e-replacement/

Lastly, all On-X users are on warfarin, or are supposed to be.

Sarah, I had my AVR on November 1 and am on Coumadin and no aspirin. I have a liver disease called PBC (primary billiary cirrhosis) so no nsaids for me. Operating room nurse said I was getting a St. Jude and final papers from Mayo says they used On-x (not that it matters as pellicle has said.

Back