BAVD And Weed?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I have really bad anxiety and (certain strands of) weed used to help that a lot. I hate medication and weed was always a great sounding alternative to me.
then I got diagnosed with BAVD and I have been scared of smoking ever since. I haven't asked my Doctor about it yet, but will in my upcoming appointment.

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

'Certain strands' LOL
What do you think your doctor is going to say?
BS aside, think of what smoking anything does to your health.

10061060.jpg

Can't imagine it hurts a BAV any more than the fact that smoking in general is bad. I'd smoke some then perhaps you wouldn't worry about it as much. A joke but it is a bit ironic that weed helps your anxiety but now you're anxious about smoking.

Why don't you try a little space cake instead so you're not clogging your arteries? However there is an argument that all weed causes anxiety so perhaps the fact that you used to smoke it has caused your anxiety and you'd be better off without. I dabbled when I was younger but these days an ice cold beer or rum and Coke makes any anxiety disappear.

Too much openness and you accept every notion, idea, and hypothesis—which is tantamount to knowing nothing.
Too much skepticism—especially rejection of new ideas before they are adequately tested—and you're not only unpleasantly grumpy, but also closed to the advance of science.
A judicious mix is what we need.

Carl Sagan

personally I believe I'm open to new ideas I just require adequate testing.

Too much openness and you accept every notion, idea, and hypothesis—which is tantamount to knowing nothing.
Too much skepticism—especially rejection of new ideas before they are adequately tested—and you're not only unpleasantly grumpy, but also closed to the advance of science.
A judicious mix is what we need.

Carl Sagan

personally I believe I'm open to new ideas I just require adequate testing.

Someone once said to me, “The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it’s open.” I’m sure they were quoting someone else.

I replied, “Just don’t be so open minded that your brains fall out.” I heard that somewhere else too.

Someone once said to me, “The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it’s open.” I’m sure they were quoting someone else.

I replied, “Just don’t be so open minded that your brains fall out.” I heard that somewhere else too.
there is a very nice point from Sagan where he mentions that without any training in the sciences that people lack the foundations to be able to undertake a critical analysis ... thus being sceptical is meaningless if unequipped to actually understand what you are sceptical of.

Last edited:
there is a very nice point from Sagan where he mentions that without any training in the sciences that people lack the foundations to be able to undertake a critical analysis ... thus being sceptical is meaningless if unequipped to actually understand what you are sceptical of.

Meh. I don’t buy it.

😉

I did not read the whole thread so maybe Carl Sagan was mentioned intentionally in relation to weed but if not it is hilarious ironic to see him mentioned above (to me at least). He was a major "pot head" and endorser of using it to open his mind & make all kinds of discoveries he would not have thought of otherwise, + enriching his life in a multitude of ways in relation to art etc (just google it).

I did not read the whole thread so maybe Carl Sagan was mentioned intentionally in relation to weed but if not it is hilarious ironic to see him mentioned above (to me at least). He was a major "pot head" and endorser of using it to open his mind & make all kinds of discoveries he would not have thought of otherwise, + enriching his life in a multitude of ways in relation to art etc (just google it).

Now that you mention it, Sagan did sound a little baked at times:

He was a major "pot head" and endorser of using it to open his mind & make all kinds of discoveries he would not have thought of otherwise
well firstly:
http://hermiene.net/essays-trans/mr_x.html
secondly "major pot head" is perhaps an exaggeration. Its well known especially in shamanic cultures that taking of hallucinogens needs guidance and is not to be taken lightly.

Just because it has benefits does not mean it should be open slather. Further there are most definitely people who react badly to it. I have the understanding that if you are even close to borderline schizophrenic it can tip you over the edge (as it did my friend and once good scientist).

Like all things it needs to be used with a steady hand and with an eye to control.

well firstly:
http://hermiene.net/essays-trans/mr_x.html
secondly "major pot head" is perhaps an exaggeration. Its well known especially in shamanic cultures that taking of hallucinogens needs guidance and is not to be taken lightly.

Just because it has benefits does not mean it should be open slather. Further there are most definitely people who react badly to it. I have the understanding that if you are even close to borderline schizophrenic it can tip you over the edge (as it did my friend and once good scientist).

Like all things it needs to be used with a steady hand and with an eye to control.

Fun fact: "Billions and Billions" Nearly all attribute this phrase to Carl Sagan. However, Sagan did not coin the phrase or use it on Cosmos. It was coined by Johnny Carson in his Carl Sagan impersonation:

Sagan was much more precise, and would say "Millions", "Billions" or "Twillions".

Although he did steal the phrase from Carson, which he used in the title of his book:

Billions and Billions: Thoughts on Life and Death at the Brink of the Millennium

Thanks for the info. All my friends are big fans of weed, and I got addicted. I smoke cannabis every day, morning and evening. If I manage not to smoke in the morning, I smoke a double dose in the evening.

I have really bad anxiety and (certain strands of) weed used to help that a lot. I hate medication and weed was always a great sounding alternative to me.
then I got diagnosed with BAVD and I have been scared of smoking ever since. I haven't asked my Doctor about it yet, but will in my upcoming appointment.

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.
Assuming you are not smoking all day long, I wouldn't worry about it . I stopped drinking 25 years ago. A toke now and then in the evenings takes the edge off.

Latest posts

Back