BAV tinnitus

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator23

Hi all,

I am a 37 year old male diagnosed with BAV 3 years ago. I'm not sure of my stats at this time, but I don't think I am having any stenosis yet. I kind of went to a place of denial and didn't want to know all of the details until lately. :frown2: It doesn't help that I am an RN and NP student so I have seen too much disease unrelated to BAV, but nonetheless it has increased my anxiety.

I wanted to see if anyone else here with BAV has experienced tinnitus (ringing of ears) with a possible association to BAV. I couldn't say whether my tinnitus or BAV turbulence came first. I have read that the turbulent blood flow caused by a valve dysfunction can cause a pulsatile (aligned with heartbeat) ringing in the ears. I also read that people with BAV may have the same connective tissue dysfunction in their head and neck vessels. So, my question is, has anyone else experienced this and has anyone's cardiologist talked with them about checking for problems in the head or neck (e.g., aneurysms)? Sorry to be so grim. I am just slightly and calmly freaking out. :eek2:

Thanks,
Gaydon

I have experienced tinnitus for many years.....too far back to remember when it started. My valve problem may have been BAV although it was, most likely, due to scarlet/rheumatic fever. I have been told by my cardio that the tinnitus is most likely due to some of my BP meds. I have never had a doc say it was related to "aneurysm" in head or neck. I do have degenerative disc disease in upper spine but no one has ever mentioned my neck pain causing tinnitus. BTW.....welcome to the forum....it is "chockfull" of good information.

Thanks for responding. This BAV is a sticky mess I guess. I do know that hypertension, some meds especially long term antibiotic use etc can cause tinnitus. I have had it for a long time. I just need to put it all in perspective and try to concentrate on my studies for a while. Nice meeting you.

Hi gator

I'm 31 also have BAV no tinnitus though. I'm also being watched for a dilated aorta (aneurysm). I've known about this for many years so far and was really anxious about it. I still am a little but it's getting better. I found that taking ownership and learning about it and where I stand helps. Also, and most importantly being part of this forum is a huge help and support. If you read many of the experiences by those here I'm sure many people would disagree with you that BAV is a sticky mess. In fact it's quit manageable and prognosis is terrific. There are many worse things that one could experience in life, that I guess you are aware of being an RN. Just keep monitoring it and you'll be fine

Thanks Ottagal, that is very helpful. It is nice to know I'm not the only one with that annoying sound that sometimes aligns with my heartbeat.
Thank you again,
Gator

Actually when I met with the surgeon he said they are no longer calling BAV a disease but I gene variant. Something to do with the fact that it's fully curable and 2% if the population has it.

Last year I was told BAV was a disease. It's not at all curable, you just replace valve failure (i.e. death) with one of two options; tissue valve and future stenosis/replacement, or mechanical valve and a risk of clots thus warfarin therapy.

Per my medical "synopsis" I get at the end of every doctor's visit, when the valve is replaced, you are still listed as having aortic valve stenosis, just now with a mechanical valve or biological valve prosthesis as a caveat.

Last year I was told BAV was a disease. It's not at all curable, you just replace valve failure (i.e. death) with one of two options; tissue valve and future stenosis/replacement, or mechanical valve and a risk of clots thus warfarin therapy.

Per my medical "synopsis" I get at the end of every doctor's visit, when the valve is replaced, you are still listed as having aortic valve stenosis, just now with a mechanical valve or biological valve prosthesis as a caveat.

The Cleveland Clinic still refers to it as Biscuspid Aortic Valve Disease (BAVD). http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/disorders/bicuspid_aortic_valve_disease.aspx

I have had an aortic valve replacement for BAV, and 7 years later had to have an ascending aortic aneurysm repair and graft. After that I started going to a cardiologist that specializes in cardiac anomalies, and he did advise me to have an MRI of the brain. I believe he said that we have about a 10% increased risk of cerebral aneurysm. I haven't had the MRI of the brain yet, not ready to deal with what might be. I just had my aneurysm surgery 5 months ago.

I've had pulsitile tinnitus in my left ear on and off for the past ten years. I have, or rather had, BAV, but no one ever suggested it was to do with that. I had an MRI to check for anerysms and that was negative. ENT guy couldn't find a cause and it was left. I've also had pulsitile tinnitus since aortic valve replacement in January this year. The only difference was the noise. The pulsitile tinnitus prior to surgery was a very loud heart beat sound in time with my heart beat, and after surgery it has been a loud whoosing sound in time with my heart beat. Never has there been "ringing" like regular tinnitus. I find that if I turn my head it can lessen the noise which I hate as it comes on all of a sudden when it comes on. Very disconcerting and loud.

The pulsitile tinnitus prior to surgery was a very loud heart beat sound in time with my heart beat
That sounds like one of my most bothersome symptoms pre-surgery. Most nights, I had trouble getting to sleep because of the loud heartbeat pounding in my ears when I lay down. Since surgery, I think it's happened twice.

That sounds like one of my most bothersome symptoms pre-surgery. Most nights, I had trouble getting to sleep because of the loud heartbeat pounding in my ears when I lay down. Since surgery, I think it's happened twice.
It wasn't like that with me, I probably didn't describe it properly, but it wasn't the sound of my heart beating in my ears when I lay down to sleep - I get that anyway all my life. Pulsitile tinnitus for me was/is a particular very loud sound suddenly starting in my left ear only, independent of my heart, originating in my ear but in time wih my heart when I checked my pulse, and when I am sitting upright - anywhere, talking to a friend, watching a DVD, any time, but nothing like the heart beat sound I always hear in my ears when I lay down to sleep !

Last edited:
Back