BAV -- poll on passing it on

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAV -- poll on passing it on

• I have BAV, am female and have kid(s) with suspected BAV

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I have BAV, am female and none of my kid(s) have BAV

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • I have BAV, am male and have kid(s) with suspected BAV

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • I have BAV, am male and none of my kid(s) have BAV

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • No BAV

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
P

PapaHappyStar

I would like to make a ( very unscientific ) survey of the bicuspid aortic valvers here. I want to find out a) How many adults with BAV have kids with a murmur/BAV ( by echo or on physical exam ) -- if you dont know vote in the no BAV ( in the kids ) category ; b) Does the sex of the parent affect heritability.

I have three sons 30,28,26 none of whom have BAV I myself was not aware of the condition until a superannuation medical check at the age of 25.

Thanks, could you click the no BAV option in the poll...

Regards,
Burair

sorry I meant the no kids with BAV option.
but dont mind the new option...

male with no kids...but my grandfather had bav. never needed surgery for it though...passed away from liver cancer. but he was the old timmer type that hated doctors...thought it was all a conspiracy to take his money...lol

How about Female with BAV W/kids - unknown if they have it ?
I wouldnt say that they suspect my daughter has BAV, but they have never looked into it either. I was only recently diagnosed myself. Nobody in my family has it that we know of.

savysmommy said:
How about Female with BAV W/kids - unknown if they have it ?
I wouldnt say that they suspect my daughter has BAV, but they have never looked into it either. I was only recently diagnosed myself. Nobody in my family has it that we know of.

vote in the no BAV in the kids category

Hi, I have BAV, three children 39,36,34 all ok. My mother passed away at age 51, suspected BAV..... Rose

I would also like to know how many female members have a BAV. According to the literature, our numbers should be much lower, but do those numbers hold true in the forum population?

Wise,
If you read the previous posts, it appears that it was due to a misunderstanding glitch.:eek: :eek: I don't believe it was Burair's intent to have nonBAVers (what a word!) vote in the poll, but he offered no opposition when it was introduced.;) ;)

I wish the names were displayed so I could see who's in this BAV boat with me!:p :p :D :D :p :p

Wise said:
Straighten me out. Why would someone without a BAV vote in this poll? Just curious. I think this is a very interesting poll. I don't have biological children, but I do believe this to be a genetic condition; so, I'm looking forward to how this shakes out in this forum.

Yeah no need to vote if you dont have a BAV, unless you just feel like voting on something :) ( I know this feeling ... )

The fact that Turner syndrome children have BAV got me thinking about whether this fact can be used to narrow down the genetic cause of BAV -- its probably been thought of before ... . From this forum alone one can probably rule out the exclusively random occurance hypothesis -- ( and even do it somewhat quantitatively using the math of probability and hypothesis confidence levels ).

Here is my reasoning:
-- Turner's syndrome is due to a defective or absent second X chromosome
-- Turner's syndrome children have BAV 30% of the time.
-- Normal BAV occurs more frequently in males ( XY ) vs. females ( XX )
-- If the genetic cause of BAV lies in ( or due to ) the X-chromosome it would make sense of the prevalence of BAV in males and in Turners children ( since if the abnormality is in the X chromosome there is no normal X to correct it )
-- If this is true then BAV women ( who pass on the X chromosome to their sons ) would be most likely to have BAV sons

This is pretty naive reasoning and there is probably no way we could conclude anything here as well -- but was fun to think about it.

PapaHappyStar said:
Yeah no need to vote if you dont have a BAV, unless you just feel like voting on something :) ( I know this feeling ... )

The fact that Turner syndrome children have BAV got me thinking about whether this fact can be used to narrow down the genetic cause of BAV -- its probably been thought of before ... . From this forum alone one can probably rule out the exclusively random occurance hypothesis -- ( and even do it somewhat quantitatively using the math of probability and hypothesis confidence levels ).

Here is my reasoning:
-- Turner's syndrome is due to a defective or absent second X chromosome
-- Turner's syndrome children have BAV 30% of the time.
-- Normal BAV occurs more frequently in males ( XY ) vs. females ( XX )
-- If the genetic cause of BAV lies in ( or due to ) the X-chromosome it would make sense of the prevalence of BAV in males and in Turners children ( since if the abnormality is in the X chromosome there is no normal X to correct it )
-- If this is true then BAV women ( who pass on the X chromosome to their sons ) would be most likely to have BAV sons

This is pretty naive reasoning and there is probably no way we could conclude anything here as well -- but was fun to think about it.
Burair,
You're right; this is something fun/interesting to think about. I hope the women who post that they have a child with BAV will include the child's sex.
In my case, it's my son.

Husband has BAV

Husband has BAV

My husband had his failing BAV replaced with a St. Jude mechanical in November of 2005 at the Univ. of Washington Medical Center. After his surgery, he was asked to take part in a study being done through the UWMC and Children's Hospital here in Seattle. The study was to track the occurrence of BAV in families. We may have taken too long to submit our information and acceptance to take part in the study, because we haven't heard anything back from them, but, you may want to check into it to see if the study has been completed, and what their results showed. We don't have any children, so can't help with your poll. Good luck on your research.

Father/son BAV

Father/son BAV

for those of us without kids...that inherited BAV's from parent, you may want to add us to your poll. Me and my father both had BAV

Sorry, but I am new here, and don't even know what BAV means. My father was just diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve, after years of a "murmur." I have recently been asked about a "murmur" but don't know anything about it. My daughter, 16, has a biscuspid arortic valve, and many surgeries. So, what do we vote???

djexec said:
for those of us without kids...that inherited BAV's from parent, you may want to add us to your poll. Me and my father both had BAV

I think it is more easy to control if we consider only parents with BAV kids -- I dont know what the history of your father's diagnosis is, but in the early days w/o the resolution on the echo we have now the diagnosis was based mostly on hearing the murmur.

In the end you decide what makes sense for this poll, it is more like a group endeavor to discover patterns in something that affects many of us, vote on behalf of your father if you have some level of confidence

clouddancer22 said:
Sorry, but I am new here, and don't even know what BAV means. My father was just diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve, after years of a "murmur." I have recently been asked about a "murmur" but don't know anything about it. My daughter, 16, has a biscuspid arortic valve, and many surgeries. So, what do we vote???

A BAV is a bicuspid aortic valve, I think you can vote if you have one

Thank You Burair for posting this survey!! It would be interesting to do another as well, patients with BAV and their parents heart history;

I voted for Nathan, and our daughter has a 'suspicious' murmur, and they are treating her now as though she is bicuspid until proven otherwise so I voted her as being suspected. She has an appt for an echo in June by her Dad's doc. We have one son with no heart murmur.

Latest posts

Back