Bav / AA Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hello all,

just curious what what the chances are you don’t make it out of BAV & AA surgery? My cardio said under 5%, is that true?

It depends upon age and health. At 55 when I had my BAV fixed and was in relatively decent health, I was told it was <1%.

Another way to look at it is that if it is not fixed and you have reached the danger zone, your chance of not making it is a certainty. My MIL was told that when hers was replaced that she wouldn't have made it much more than a week or two. I was told pre-surgery to get it done in 2-3 months or I might "experience the syndrome known as sudden death." Afterward my surgeon told me that my valve would not have lasted much longer.

Yep that true
If you think about the stats if its 1% then in 100 operations theres one that goes wrong,
I know a guy who was that 1% who had AVR and hes now got someone elses heart beating in his chest, and that was due to human error.
But that aside theres the other 99% that are doing just fine

Guest;n885866 said:
just curious what what the chances are you don’t make it out of BAV & AA surgery? My cardio said under 5%, is that true?

I agree with the others ...

if you have access to a computer connected to the internet you can search Google and get results like this
https://academic.oup.com/ejcts/article/44/5/875/351245

but as Tyler Durden says
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"510","width":"750","src":"https:\/\/callingdreams.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2014\/08\/Fight-club-tyler-durden-quotes-6.jpg"}[/IMG2]

and without that surgery it won't be as a long time-line as with it

Back to the more serious answers. . . ;-)

I was 63 at time of surgery, and had delayed beyond what most docs would have felt prudent, but my exercise tolerance was still above average for my age (30+ years as a runner/jogger/gym rat). My surgeon still told me that the mortality projection of about 1% applied.

If you're not in trouble when you go into the operating room, you probably will come out the other side just fine.

Warrick;n885869 said:
Yep that true
If you think about the stats if its 1% then in 100 operations theres one that goes wrong,
I know a guy who was that 1% who had AVR and hes now got someone elses heart beating in his chest, and that was due to human error.
But that aside theres the other 99% that are doing just fine

Actually, I think that guy's problem is not counted as a failure since he lived. You'd be surprised how doctors define success or failure.

epstns;n885873 said:
Back to the more serious answers. . . ;-)

Gee Steve, that's harsh my answer (if you read the link) was totally serious...

From my link:

RESULTS

In-hospital mortality was 2.94% (n = 972), 30-day mortality 3.02% (n = 998), operative mortality 3.57% (n = 1181), 60-day mortality 3.84% (n = 1271), 6-month mortality 5.16% (n = 1707) and 1-year mortality 6.20% (n = 2052). The survival curves showed a steep initial decline followed by stabilization after ∼60–120 days, depending on the intervention performed, e.g. 60 days for isolated coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) and 120 days for combined CABG and valve surgery. Benchmark results were affected by the choice of the follow-up period: four hospitals changed outlier status when the follow-up was increased from 30 days to 1 year. In the isolated CABG subgroup, benchmark results were unaffected: no outliers were found using either 30-day or 1-year follow-up.

Oh, and in case you are worried I'm worried, please add this into the analysis
:Kiss:

If you're not in trouble when you go into the operating room, you probably will come out the other side just fine.

Totally agree

Last edited:
tom in MO;n885877 said:
Actually, I think that guy's problem is not counted as a failure since he lived. You'd be surprised how doctors define success or failure.

couldn't agree more

pellicle - Hopefully "no harm, no foul." I was only trying to tug the discussion back to what seemed to be more serious attempts to help with a serious question. I was only referring to the caption of the picture.

I could have gone the "other" way and said that simple probability, with no prior knowledge of outcomes, would say the odds are 50/50 . . .

epstns;n885939 said:
pellicle - Hopefully "no harm, no foul." I was only trying to tug the discussion back to what seemed to be more serious attempts to help with a serious question. I was only referring to the caption of the picture.

totally ... hopefully you know me well enough now to know I don't take offense at anything you say to me ... I was just being "playful" in the protest, I did in truth mix in flippancy AND a good answer (making it unclear).

Back