BAV / 4.4cm ascending aorta dilatation weightlifting

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My experience with a bicuspid aortic valve was that I could lift moderate weights (10-12 reps per set) and be fine. I had the Ross procedure at age 20 and continued to lift moderately for almost two decades. When I turned 39 I had a bit of a mid life crisis I guess and started powerlifting. After 6 months I gained 15 pounds of muscle and was hitting new highs on lifts weekly. (To get an idea of what I was doing- I weighed 178 and was bench pressing 275+, leg pressing 450+. STUPID!) Then I went in for my yearly echo and the status went from pretty good a year earlier to "severe aortic insufficiency and severe pulmonary stenosis". No more lifting at all after that. I accredit the rapid progression almost exclusively to the heavy lifting. I had both valves replaced again recently and will only be lifting lighter weights from here on out. Enough to get my heart rate up some and stay in shape. What I was doing was just midless and crazy, but I would think that weights that aren't as heavy (but still on the heavy side) would have similar repercussions.

My experience with a bicuspid aortic valve was that I could lift moderate weights (10-12 reps per set) and be fine. What I was doing was just midless and crazy, but I would think that weights that aren't as heavy (but still on the heavy side) would have similar repercussions.
Yea im sorry to hear that, but same it will be for me , im gonna do 12 reps ( so not light, no extra heavy, something in middle) for each exercise, avoid valsalva manuever, and not going often to failure, and will use a lot machines and bodyweights exercises pull ups, etc.. instead of classsic bench, deadlift , squats.. i think that will be fine. Best whises.

As boring as it may seem, moderation might be the key. Go heavier on smaller, isolation exercises (where going heavy doesn't mean you have to hold your breath), find variation and challenge in training through something else than increasing weights.

I pretty much try to use as small weights as possible these days. I do drop sets, super/giant sets, slow reps and anything else I know that allows me to wear out the muscle without using heavy weights. I'm also constantly doing new exercises, which keeps the training more interesting.

Nobody wants to be in this situation, but let's hope we can one day (post-surgery) train without restrictions. Let's stay alive while we wait for that.

Back