Barley-mushroom soup???

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catwoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Does anyone have a great recipe for barley-mushroom soup (with or without beef)?

I enjoyed it at a nice restaurant at Mall of America some years ago. It had a medium consistency, was not watery. Have tried to replicate it, but I'm not satisfied with the results.

I've got a crockpot of lentil soup cooking right now. Am off today (my United Way personal holiday -- if we donate $X per payperiod to United Way, we get a paid personal day each year), so I'm doing housework, errands and the slow cooker got hauled out of its storage box.

Would like to make some barley-mushroom soup too and freeze it. Internet searches indicate that both lentil and barley soups are very freezable, as low as you don't add tomatoes or potatoes.

Thanks!

Ponygirlmom:

Will find the recipe this evening and post it. I cooked it for 8 hours in the crockpot, then moved contents to an oval dutch oven (old Club Aluminum one). I wasn't happy with how the lentils were cooking, thus the switch.

I used my stick blender a little to thicken the soup.

It was pretty good, and I read online that lentil & barley soups freeze well. So I'll bag it up for freezing tonight.

Debby:

That recipe looks good. Will try it soon.

I thought that some rosemary might taste good in a beef-barley soup, and have found some recipes online.

I also own quite a few Culinary Institute of America textbooks & cookbooks (including one just on soups). Will search through those.

Jeez, that sounds yummy! I need to spend more time on this forum.

THANKS!

Latest posts

Back