Barbara Walters Special

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njean

Premium Level
Supporting Member
On the View today, Barbara Walters will be airing a special this Friday, February 4th on ABC Network, called "A Matter of Life and Death". Special guests will be David Letterman, Charlie Rose, Robin Williams and Ex-President, Bill Clinton.

I'm looking forward to watching this special and just thought I'd share the info with you all. :)

Last edited:
On the View today, Barbara Walters will be airing a special this Friday, January 4th on ABC Network, called "A Matter of Life and Death". Special guests will be David Letterman, Charlie Rose, Robin Williams and Ex-President, Bill Clinton.

I'm looking forward to watching this special and just thought I'd share the info with you all. :)

I am setting my PVR / DVR for it Thnanks for the heads up

On the View today, Barbara Walters will be airing a special this Friday, January 4th on ABC Network, called "A Matter of Life and Death". Special guests will be David Letterman, Charlie Rose, Robin Williams and Ex-President, Bill Clinton.

Thanks for the heads-up. Do you mean Friday, February 4?

Among the guests participating are former President Clinton, David Letterman, Regis Philbin and, of course, Barbara herself had valve replacement recently.

I'll bet one, very special "guest" will be her surgeon, but she should also include her Doctor or cardiologist who identified her murmur. I'm not a BW fan, but from what I've seen she speaks thoughtfully about her OHS and her related feelings.

John

Thanks for the heads-up. Do you mean Friday, February 4?

Yes I did SB! (I corrected my original post!)

Thank you! :)

Do you mean I have to reset my PVR ?

xmaslaff.gif

Looking forward to this. I googled BW and came up with this from a Comcast site:

NEW YORK (AP) — It comes as no surprise that the legendarily competitive Barbara Walters was able to land former President Bill Clinton, TV host David Letterman, movie star Robin Williams and retired TV celebrity Regis Philbin for her ABC News special this week.
The selling point was what tied together all the celebrities, Walters included: open heart surgery.

As she recovered from her own surgery to repair a faulty heart valve last May, Walters, doyen of the popular talk show "The View," realized that the prevalence of heart disease and the fear many people have of a heart operation made for a good story. "A Matter of Life and Death" airs at 10 p.m. EST on Friday (0300 GMT Saturday).

Walters knew she needed the celebrity infusion.

"I didn't want people to feel that this was going to be an hour lecture," she said. "To have these very famous, and in some cases very funny, people, meant that they would watch."

Each guest agreed to talk about his experience. Clinton, the former Big Mac president, revealed that has become practically a vegan. The usually private Letterman talks candidly about depression and how he sometimes bursts into tears of joy that he is doing well, given his medical history and the knowledge that his father died of a heart attack at age 57. Letterman is 63.

Williams shows off his scar and so does Walters. Discreetly, of course.

Clinton and Walters shared a secret and a surgeon. Dr. Craig R. Smith of New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia performed a quadruple bypass on Clinton in September 2004 and replaced Walters' heart valve. (Disclosure: Smith performed a heart bypass on this reporter in 2008.)

When Walters, 81, first learned she might need surgery, she said Clinton was the only person with whom she discussed it, when they ran into each other at a holiday party in 2009. She did not even tell her daughter until shortly before disclosing it on "The View" in May.

"I had no one to kind of hold my hand, and I don't know why I didn't tell anyone (else)," she said. "Maybe it was a feeling that it was a shameful thing to have to do or that maybe they'll treat me differently."

She had no symptoms after finding out about the valve problem after a routine checkup in late 2009. She worried that surgery would be terribly painful, although it wasn't. She hoped she could wait it out a couple of years so a less invasive way of correcting the issue could be discovered.

It took on greater urgency last spring after Walters felt some shortness of breath while climbing stairs. Still, she tried to put it off. She was busy. She asked her doctor: What's the risk of putting it off for a while?

"A slight risk of dropping dead," he replied.

"I said, 'I'll go in next week,'" she recalled.

A private person in a public job, Walters lets viewers in on what she went through. She shows a picture of herself in a hospital bed, plainly giddy from drugs. She details the methodical recovery, gaining strength every day. She reads from a diary her daughter had written about the surgery and its aftermath.

"I don't know why I wasn't more scared, but I wasn't," she said. "And there were aspects of it that I enjoyed."

They included eating hot dogs and baloney sandwiches, as doctors encouraged her to gain weight she lost in the hospital. Walters was also touched by the people who reached out to her. Actor Tom Cruise called three times.

When she thinks about how the experience changed her, she noted that she is staying away from the "shoulds": events she thought she had to attend; work she thought she had to do.

"I don't do that anymore," she said. "I don't go to cocktail parties. I try, when I look at my calendar, to make sure that every day is pleasant, that I look forward to it. I did stories sometimes that I wasn't interested in because I should, so I'd appear on the air. I don't do that now."

The ABC special is more than celebrity tales. She talks to doctors, including her own, about prevention and the warning signs of heart trouble. Walters particularly wanted women to take notice, because many worry more about cancer than heart disease. Women need to understand that their symptoms of heart disease are often quite different from men's, she said.

In a sobering conversation, she spoke to Luke Russert, son of the late NBC newsman Tim Russert, who died of a heart attack even as he was taking medication and trying to stay on top of potential heart disease.

She asked Clinton about pictures taken of him at his daughter Chelsea's wedding last summer, and how some people believed he looked gaunt and may be sick.

No, Clinton said, he had been trying to lose weight and was sticking to a diet heavy on fruits, grains and vegetables. He has another incentive to keep healthy, now that his only child, Chelsea, was married last year.

"That's my next goal," he told her. "I want to hang around here to have grandchildren."

They all really sound like they could pull up a chair and be a part of VR.org!!! :smile2:

Marguerite

OMG, there's stuff everywhere... here's more especially for those who will miss it. After it airs, maybe you who are out of the country can catch it on Hulu.com?

http://www.takepart.com/news/2011/0...barbara-walters-to-host-heart-surgery-special

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/barbara-walters-heart-special-matter-life-death/story?id=12810130

I watched the little 40 second videos and felt the tears welling up when Clinton was speaking; and understood so well the "quiet" that BW's daughter wrote about. This will be good stuff!! Looks like she's done a good job with this; that she has been moved, personally by it all. Not so different, are we?

Marguerite

It sounds very interesting to me; thanks for the thread, Norma, and thanks for the article, Marguerite :)

I found it interesting too about what she said in the article about not wanting to tell anyone beforehand; I kept my looming OHS pretty quiet too, except for some family, until I absolutely had to call some of my best friends and tell them a couple of days before the surgery; and then they were all shocked, because I'd always kind of kept the problem quiet. I don't know either why I kept it quiet exactly but I did feel sort of weak and vulnerable. I thought those feelings were unique but evidently not.

Some of you others here must have felt like that too?

Not a fan of BaBa or her guests for that matter, but I will watch with interest. I do think she could have diversified the celebrity contingent a bit (or maybe even included a few non-celebrities) -- and I wonder if she tried to get Barbara Bush, who had a valve replacement last year. (One point of the show is to stress how heart ailments affect women, and BaBa apparently has only herself as an example). Also baseball player Aaron Boone would have been an interesting addition. Of course, I realize it's only an hour-long show.

Okay, picky, picky, picky...:p .. It will probably have much that will interest us.

Back