Banana/added potassium may prevent stokes

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LUVMyBirman

Some of you may heard of this recent claim. Thought I would post it for all to read.

By Jennifer Warner
WebMD Medical News

(Aug. 29) -- An apple a day might keep the doctor away, but a banana a day can keep stroke at bay. New research shows people who don't get enough potassium in their diets are more likely to have a stroke.

The study, published in the Aug. 13 issue of the journal Neurology, found that people with the lowest levels of potassium in their diet were 1.5 times more likely to suffer a stroke compared with those who had the highest levels of potassium in their diet.

Bananas are probably the best-known dietary sources of potassium, but other foods rich in potassium include avocados, citrus fruits, green leafy vegetables, milk, and nuts.

In the study, researchers followed about 5,600 men and women over the age of 65 who had never suffered a stroke. Over a four- to six-year period, they also tracked the amount of potassium the people consumed, the level of potassium circulating in their blood, and use of diuretics (water pills).

Diuretics are commonly used to treat conditions such as high blood pressure, heart failure, and kidney disease. These medications work by increasing urine production by the kidneys and reducing the amount of water in the body. A common side effect of diuretics is that they lower potassium levels.

Researchers found people who were taking diuretics and also had the lowest levels of potassium in the blood were 2.5 times more likely to have a stroke than diuretic users with the highest potassium levels.

But study author Deborah M. Green, MD, of the Neuroscience Institute of The Queen's Medical Center in Honolulu, and colleagues say those findings do not mean diuretics increase the chance of having a stroke.

"The question is whether diuretics would be even more effective with adequate potassium intake," says Green in a news release.

In an editorial that accompanies the study, Steven R. Levine, MD, and Bruce M. Coull, MD, say that's especially important for people who already are at increased risk for stroke due to diabetes, irregular heart beats (atrial fibrillation), and cigarette smoking.

Researchers say more study is needed to find out if increasing potassium intake or using potassium supplements would prevent strokes.

Reviewed By Michael Smith, MD
© 2002 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.

potassium/ bananas

potassium/ bananas

hi Gina,
interesting article.. i knew that being on lasik also pulls the nutrient from my body, and those horse pills they call potassium supplements are a pain to take.. since i end up chewing them and they say not too, i too try to also include some natural potassium in my diet to make up what i'm not getting by my chewing them vrs swallowing whole. . albeit not as much as i should.. the article listed other foods which contain potassium.. ironically, i'm in the banana business (whole fresh fruits actually) yet i'm not crazy about bananas, go figure - anyway, kiwi's i've found, have the same amount of potassium as the banana, stawberries are also another good source..

have a great holiday

christine

Gina

Gina

How did you know that I just bought some bananas today? HEHE! Just kidding. But bananas and other fruits are good sources of potassium. Thanks for sharing this information you came across. You keep getting informed. Thanks.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Back