Back to work

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil

Hi All,

It was 12 weeks on Wednesday spsince my AVR, MAZE ablation and aortic root replacement. All has gone very well and I'm feeling pretty good. I returned to work last week (gradual return to work program), but it has been hard. I'm not as quick, cognitively sharp and alert and I'm having trouble remembering things. I have a job which requires a lot of attention to detail and I feel as if I'm struggling somewhat. The other things I have noticed are:

It's great doing a phased return to work program, but the reality is if I'm not there to do the work everything backs up and timelines are not met. This adds to the stress.

The noise of my mechanical valve - when I'm stressed I really hear it which was not the case when I was at home recovering.

Sometimes I think did I get through my third heart operation to do this crap? What I'm crudely saying is - the surgery has caused some reflection and as a result I'm thinking do I really want to be doing what I do...

This is not a winge - I was very fortunate to have had 10 weeks sick leave before having to go back to work.

Have others similarily struggled returning to work?

Cheers

Phil.

Yeah, I did as well!

Your post really hit a chord with me - I went through similar experiences as you did when I returned back to work....the stress of being there part-time for a while but not being able to do much for a few weeks....my mind being a lot slower.....ME being a lot slower....trouble remembering.....

But I think the biggest and most significant thing for me is what you mentioned about the surgery causing some reflections....I'm still at my current job.....but have been doing a TON of thinking about what I really want to do.

I do remember having an easier time at work after about 9 months from surgery when my energy levels and confidence came back…. But in so many ways my OHS was not only a life-changing experience, but also a positive one because it did help me to reevaluate what's important and what's not – and I'm still deep in that process.

Thanks for your post – I can relate and I hope that you find your answers as well.

Last edited:
Before my surgery I thought I would continue working until a) I couldn't any more, or b) they wouldn't keep me around any more. Now that I'm going back to work in a week or so, I'm rethinking that - I'm 70 and have been working for over 50 years. Not many people on their deathbeds say they wish they had worked more. Even so, I'm not sure what I would do with myself if I didn't have my work. And so it goes...

Being self-employed and still having kids at home, I have to go back to work soon but I sure sympathize with you not wanting to continue doing unfullfilling work after OHS. I'm on my 18th POD and am going into the office for a few hours tomorrow to see how it goes.

Here's an idea that I've found helpful. Various web platforms allow you to create groups of like-minded people. About 5 years ago I created a group on Meetup.com called "Brighton Photographers" (http://www.meetup.com/Brighton-Photographers/) where I host events, workshops, and social gatherings around my photography business. It's really been a great way to meet new people and steer my life in the direction that I wanted it to go in. How about creating or joining a local group of like-minded people in your area and start doing what you love?

Just an idea...

Well, I'm about 2 1/2 months out from AVR and aortoplasty and other than 2 setbacks requiring hospitalization, I really enjoyed my time at home. I just finished up my second full week at work (office job) and on reflection I can honestly say i enjoyed my time at home. My wife and I are set to retire in 4 years and we plan on retiring the SAME day I become eligible. I will then have a decent pension (defined benefit) nailed down that will carry me for the rest of my life and I can start thinking like a kid again. Perhaps not work again or perhaps working in an area that vie thought about my entire adult life. The point is, I'm thinking more and more about my upcoming freedom in 4 years and what that will mean for me and my wife. This convalescing period has allowed me to have a deep appreciation for my wife and it has really improved our relationship and respect towards each other.

Back