Back to surgery - at 7 months

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUST-WAITING

I found out about a month ago during a routine checkup - my valve had a problem. I was feeling good -had my strength back and down to 1/2 a BP pill a day. I was working my normal active life before. Now the axe falls- My surgeon said poss there was a problem with stitching or heart tissue it attached to. We are talking surgery 22nd this month. Last surgery I had time to prepare - but now things are moving fast. No need for second guessing by anyone on the site - I am already handling that. I had the ATS 3f through minimally invasive surgery - My doctor is one of the top ranked in the nation.
Was this right decision - who knows ? I have been devastated by this and but believe in my doctor- I knew the risks going in - there are no absolutes in life - and this site helped me deal with this the first time around. Please say a prayer for my sanity and journey. Life lesson- DO NOT GO TO THE DOCTOR IF YOU FEEL GOOD!!!

Just-Waiting its very upsetting to read this. I can only imagine going through recovery feeling good and than having to do this all over again. I will pray for a good long lasting outcome this time and just as importantly peace of mind. May this time around be a smooth recovery, much faster than the last. I'm asking for a miraculous recovery, make medical history. Amen.

It doesn't sound like it has a thing to do with the valve itself going bad or actually being the cause of your problem. Has your surgeon suggested a solution if it is the tissue itself that is causing the problem so that it won't become a problem with your next valve?

Honestly, I think short notice on surgery would be a good thing. The waiting for me was a terrible thing. I wish you the best...you will be fine. We will all be here cheering you on.

Kim

Yikes that isn't something anyone would want to face :(
I agree with Kim, the faster the better of course we aren't the ones facing what you are... you mentioned a life lesson... its a good thing you went to the doc for think of the outcome had they not found it... I wish you luck with your surgery and a speedy recovery! Hugs

I know a couple weeks ago, you thought there was a problem and waiting for the surgeon to get bck to you.. I am sorry to hear you will be needing another surgery so soon. I can imagine how you must feel, I remember when we found out a little ovr a year after Justin's 4th OHS his dacron conduit that SHOULD have lasted decades if not "forever", would need replaced. So sorry, I've keep you in my thoughts. IF it is weak tissue the valve was sewn to, its a good thing you went to for the check up and they caught it, before it got even worse and they can help you.
I guess your surgeon won't know what he has to do until he is in there and sees everything, I hope it is a relatively easy surgery. Please let us know how you are doing. You and your family are in my prayers.

I also agree that it is a good thing you went to the doctor. Things could have gotten worse without you knowing about it. Thankfully, the surgeon will be able to fix the problem, you will heal and put this behind you.
Wishing you an easy wait and good recovery.

Wow, that must have been a tough news to take. My prayers for your quick recovery. If it helps, I read about someone in this forum whose first valve repair surgery failed within 7 days and he had to undergo another OHS for valve replacement in a short period of time. If I remember correctly, he is the first On-X reciepient at CCF. He is doing quite well after his second OHS.

We never know how strong we are until we have to be. You'll find the strength and do what you have to do but it sure is lousy news.

We'll all help you in every possible way.
The wait will be difficult and the sooner the surgery, the sooner you can start recovery and get on with things.
ALL best wishes.

Just Waiting, you are on so many of our minds, can only echo what everybody else here has been saying. We are here, lots of us, marking our calendars or saying prayers for you, keeping you in our hearts. You can do this! You're part of one heck of one exclusive group, here! Keep us in the loop! Michelle

Similar problem

Similar problem

I have to have my valve checked out for a similar problem. It is not an unusual effect to have some scar tissue growth around the valve apparantly. I have to come off Warfarin for 5 days next week and have injections at the hospital, followed by a camera check from the inside out to view my valve. For me it is a precaution and it seems to be a routine test.
Good luck with yours and here's hoping for a full recovery.

I pulled the trigger today and my second surgery is scheduled Monday - week- - August 22- at hospital in Austin,Tx.

I only ask for a thousand prayers and or hugs. PS now I have to tell my mother- that will be fun.

You got both (((hugs))) and prayers coming from me.
Try not to worry about 'mom', there's not much she can do about it (sorry to sound rude).

Hope there is someone to give us up-dates.

This sounds similar to what happened to my sister several years ago. She began having issues around a year after her surgery. We thought she was going to have to have a new valve implanted but they discovered during the surgery that they needed to have the original stitches tightened up. It's never easy but I will be praying for you! PS i don't really agree with your life lesson mantra. I felt good, too, in 2006 but have no doubt I did the right thing when I started the process of dealing with my mitral valve disease.

Back