Back in waiting room again

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Northernlights,

Thank you so much for your message - I’'m glad you are still on forum ! Nice to hear you have fond memories of the Brompton, that gives me more confidence, though I understand it has a reputation as one of the top heart hospitals in the world (Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospitals). The cardiac surgeon I’'m seeing there is Neil Moat.

My BSA at surgery was about 1.5 m2 and due to that the 19mm valve means I have mild patient prosthesis mismatch, but, like you said, that’'s not taking into account my active lifestyle. And I do wonder how accurate or applicable BSA is with someone like me who is basically a big build (big feet, big shoulders, big legs) but lean with a below normal BMI - shouldn’'t they take into account the size the person should be ? I don’'t think the cardiac surgeon I was under then took on board that I did weight lifting, even though I told her, never mind superslow which I doubt many cardiac surgeons or cardiologists are familiar with unless they do weight lifting themselves. I am now making a point of saying to doctors: “"I don’'t do Hollywood girlie weight lifting, though neither am I a power lifter !” " I will start mentioning the actual weights, good idea, though at the moment my cardiologist has told me to not do any weight lifting.

The echo technician prior to surgery must have noticed my heart was strong which is why he asked if I did weight lifting. Pity he didn’t refer to that in the echo report as athlete’'s heart or whatever, but he didn’'t, he wrote “"hyperdynamic left ventricular function”". Neil Moat is asking the hospital where I had those echos done for copies of the disks. He also wants to find out the size of the annulus I had before surgery. When I pointed out that previous surgeon had written in the Operation Note that the annulus was sized and the 19m valve chosen, Neil made a kind of face ! He's going to look at the CT angiogram I had done before surgery which I gave him a copy of.

The Ross procedure sounds interesting, I’'ve seen it mentioned sometimes on forum and just found a link to a study about it which says it can be done on those over 60: "The major indications for the procedure are: isolated aortic valve pathology; prior prosthetic valve failure; endocarditis of the aortic valve only"; Here’s the abstract: https://www.ahcmedia.com/articles/62...older-patients Sounds a long and ocmplicated operation ?

I should know more in a couple of weeks - TOE on the 19th, just waiting to find out when I get a follow up appointment with the surgeon for the results of that.

Reading this, I'm surprised they can match for an appropriate valve size based on BSA. This makes the mismatch potentially preventable. I empathise if you are angry. If it was me, I wouldn't let it go, but you have other priorities right now.

Your pompous ex-surgeon needs to be put on notice, so there is no repeat performance.

Hi Aglan - once I find out exactly what is going on with this valve I will ask for advice as to whether it warrants a complaint about the previous surgeon. With stuff going on I would feel very vulnerable complaining about a medical professional - it could be that the ex-surgeon put in that size valve in good faith and that she was just a bad communicator...... Or it could be that the valve has a problem in itself which is nothing to do with her. But I have complained informally to both my cardiologist and to the new cardiac surgeon and they both understand.

Just catching up and glad to hear you are getting a TEE on the 19th. Hopefully, you will get some answers. BTW: saw my cardiologist and he belives yy higher pressure gradients are being attributed to a perivalvular leak. In monitoring mode...

Just catching up and glad to hear you are getting a TEE on the 19th. Hopefully, you will get some answers. BTW: saw my cardiologist and he belives my higher pressure gradients are being attributed to a perivalvular leak. In monitoring mode...

ottagal;n877092 said:
BTW: saw my cardiologist and he belives my higher pressure gradients are being attributed to a perivalvular leak. In monitoring mode...
I know that's something they always check for in the echo. When will you get your next echo ?

Paleowoman;n877095 said:
I know that's something they always check for in the echo. When will you get your next echo ?

He doesn't seem too concerned as no signs of heart failure etc. I get another one in a year!

Back