Back from my one-week post-op checkup. . .

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epstns

Premium User
Supporting Member
Well, I'm back from the clinic at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. I had my one-week post-op checkup this morning, and everything is doing just fine. They tested my new lead, and all of its readings are back to the way a new lead should be - not like my old, failing lead. The pacemaker is working perfectly, although at the present I am once again in complete heart block, so I am pacing 99% of the time (in my ventricle, atrial pacing is still only about 10-15%). I should mention that I do have an "escape rhythm" of about 45 BPM, the rate at which my ventricles will beat absent the pacemaker, so although they label me as pacemaker dependent, if it fails, I don't pass out (or worse). All of the incisions, punctures, miscellaneous wounds, etc., are healing as expected. I am still sore in a lot of places, and my left shoulder is very stiff and cranky. Doctor says this is all to be expected, and the shoulder may take several weeks to fully limber up after all the contortions and procedures it has been through. OK - I can deal with this, as long as I know it is completely normal for this procedure at this point in healing.

I feel like I've been let out of jail. I can finally take a "real" shower, not just a sponge bath. I can drive a car, and next week I can go back to work - part time for the first two weeks, then back to it all. Now I'm looking forward to another long stretch of stability and heart health -- so my wife and I can get back to life and deal with the other issues we've put on hold while this one played out.

I go back to have the device interrogated and settings tweaked in 3 months (unless I find something amiss before that), as they set a few things higher than needed at first to be sure that the device paces me appropriately while the new lead scars into my heart muscle.

Thanks to everyone for all the moral support as I've traveled down yet another heart-related road. Thankfully, this one followed the original roadmap.

You can't beat "working perfectly" with a stick! Good to hear that you're healing up as you ought. Sorry your shoulder keeps paining you, but knowing that's part of the process must help.

Sounds like you're on a great trajectory, Steve! Congrats!

Steve, thanks for the updates. It all sounds good, but the pain part.

I'm still curious about the "device interrogated" comment. What/how do they do that?

Hope your other issues get resolved.

Fred - I always laugh at an "internal" joke that comes to mind when I think if pacemaker "interrogation." I always somehow imagine a picture of the little device sitting on a little chair with a big spotlight shining on it, and a mean voice in the background sternly instructing. . . "Tell us EVERYTHING."

Well, to "interrogate" the pacemaker, the patient just sits in a comfortable exam chair. The tech places a round pick-up coil on your chest directly over the device. A computer then reads all of the history data from the pacemaker via the induction coil. They can check your ECG, heart rate, number of times you may have experienced afib, arrhythmias, any strange occurrences, etc. - all via inductive pickup with no direct connection to the device. The device does "tell all" but totally non-invasively. The newest devices, like my new one, can also be programmed to periodically send data to a unit at your bedside, and that unit can send data to the clinic. This will cut my pacemaker clinic trips from twice per year to once.

The wonders of modern science. . .

Hi Steve,
I am VERY late in replying as I have been away. So happy to hear that the surgery went well and everything went as planned. It sounds like you are reaching the expected milestones. I hope things continue onward and upward for you and that you and your wife can 'get on with life'. May your 'get out of jail' card last you a very, very long time.
All the very best to you.

Thanks, again, everyone. I am happy to have gotten through this part of things, and look forward to completing the healing process calmly and uneventfully.

Now I can move on to the next crisis. . .

Latest posts

Back