away from light pollution...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

the skies look nicer at night
35183779894_5e59436aa7_b.jpg

I haven't seen the night time sky like that in years - probably since the last time we were out in Arizona, far from the cities, sight-seeing. Or maybe when I was in the military, out in Colorado in 1971. Anyway, a really cool image. For us "city kids" it brings back memories.

Maybe some day I can see the sky that way again.

We don't get skies like that near London, there is an orange haze all night long, BUT we do get skies like that when we go to our place in France - wonderfully clear skies with all the stars crystal clear and bright and the milky way showing.

How did you take a photo like that Pellicle ? Do you have your shutter open for a long time, camera on a tripod ?

Hi
Paleowoman;n877909 said:
...How did you take a photo like that Pellicle ? Do you have your shutter open for a long time, camera on a tripod ?

yes, on tripod, 2 second delay on shutter release (to allow vibrations to quell), 30 second exposure 100iso (for lowest noise in the image) f2.5 (for most light onto the sensor) ... wide angle lens (35mm camera equivalent focal length = 21mm)

My trusty rusty GH-1

I took it with a visible blue (last legs of the light from the falling sun) to give it more of a hue

thanks everyone for the kind comments. epstns, I hope you get to see it again too. Photos are a poor second.

When fully dark it looks like this :
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/c1.staticflickr.com\/5\/4307\/35850004582_188251f353_h.jpg"}[/IMG2]

(note the southern cross and two pointers in RHS)

Its nice to be home

something from the daytime:
35900273681_d7ebd3c7cc_h.jpg

35461220695_d33fe14eba_h.jpg

and a view of "the town" from the hill (where I take these shots) (phone cam shot)
35190464680_08cfb12314_h.jpg

its a hobby

I took some shots like that from a cabin in Utah between Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks. Amazing stuff.

It's funny explaining to people who don't know that those aren't clouds across the middle.

I got what I thought was a good telescope for my son, it cost a couple of hundred pounds. It's very excellent for looking at the surface of the moon, and quite good for focusing on Jupiter, BUT that's about it. The other planets don't look anything much through it, though much bigger of course, and stars are very non-specific and difficult to find - when you move the telescope just a fraction you move millions of miles when you're looking at stars ! And there's tons of empty space ! I realised we should have got a teescope which has tracking. That is even useful for the moon as when you have it in view on some interesting craters and go and tell someone to come and have a look, within a minute or two the moon has moved out of sight, or rather the earth's orbiting has moved us ! So a tracking one. They do some with software as well which help you locate particular stars.

pellicle;n877986 said:
Are you getting my sms messages?

some "hard to go wrong" starters

http://www.sirius-optics.com.au/telescopes/orion-skyscanner-100mm-tabletop-reflector-telescope.html

http://www.sirius-optics.com.au/telescopes/sky-watcher-5-inch-table-dobsonian.html

You'll learn a lot from either of these, and know what you need from that before blowing bucks on more expensive stuff than you need :)
Yep. I was thinking of a goto cassethingy. I raised it with the kids. They showed little interest. So the idea has died in the arse.

Latest posts

Back