AVR with Aorta Replace Tomorrow (Monday 10/22)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalz

Well, here I go. First in line Monday AM and while nervous, I am ready to get this over with. Thank you everyone for your sharing your thoughts, experience and well wishes. This website is a true blessing.

What a turn of life changing events over a few short months. Like many of you here, I got the surprise a little over a month before my surgery date. I was so lucky to find this website; first spending much time just hovering and reading everything I could from the posts on here. Then I posted a few questions important to me and was very lucky to get the responses, PM's, emails and even talking personally with many of you. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

Now I want to share, especially for those who have just been blindsided with their news. Early on I was numb, in denial, angry, and of course scared! Reaching out to others really, really helped. I have never been the type to ask for help, and this was certainly a good lesson. Funny, it took OHS to get the message across! Now that is stubborn!! If you have just gotten the news, please know that you are not alone. Everyone who is or has walked down this path is reaching out with a hand. Top things I have learned pre-surgery:

1st - Asking questions or for help is not weak. This will make such a huge impact on your state of mind prior to surgery. I have learned so much, which greatly reduces the anxiety.

2nd - Counseling and medication. Much like asking for help, I struggled with this. Now I realize what kind of backwards thinking this is. Counseling has given me significant tools to help get through this, and as far as medication goes, it is much like surgery, either do it or suffer the consequences (not only to myself but my family as well). Sometimes we don't get a choice. Live with it.

Last but not Least - This is the big one for me. All the way from the surgery tomorrow to life afterwards, I have to "let go" and realize I have no control of such things. I can only control my reactions. Really, I control nothing outside of myself. The first step to accepting this is to become willing to listen and perhaps even hopefully to accept this. Becoming willing; it's a start. Probably common sense to most people. Unfortunately, not me.

I hope this post finds everyone well and is of help to some. Please stay positive! This is a correctable condition! I am grateful for that!

Enjoy Life,
Dion

good Luck tomorrow. You may also find as I did, that the process in some sick,strange, sinister way was actually an enjoyable adventure.

Dion - Well, I just want to say...this is a fairly remarkable pre-surgery (afternoon before no less!) post. Your great spirit should serve you very well in recovery. People may start thinking we're all a little crazy around here, but I too echo the thoughts of the last two folks...it can be an enjoyable adventure. I think I usually use the word "rewarding" more often than "enjoyable", though. :biggrin2: You do have to "let go" as you say, but I have good news for you Dion...you get to take control of things again very soon. You will be in charge of getting yourself back to normal, and each step of progress should help you more and more along the way.

Anyway, you are already doing your best to get a good night's sleep I'm sure, so hope this finds you soon after the big day instead, and that you will have nothing but positive news to share on a successful surgery and smooth recovery.

Good luck buddy! Can't wait to talk to you in recovery. My thoughts and prayers will be with you tomorrow. I'm glad that I got the chance to meet you over the phone. Great post! Talk to you soon.

Tom

Best of luck from the UK

Had exactly the same operation six months ago!

Just trust in the surgeons all will be fine

Mike

What a trip! Day of surgery (Monday) mostly a blur (thankfully). Day 2 (Yesterday) OUCH!! Day 3 (lots of progress), Day 4 (feeling fine). I could actually tell Monday after surgery I was feeling better (other than surgery pain). I am very grateful! I keep trying to remind myself not to over do it, but i can't wait to spin the wheels soon!

As suspected, BAV was found and replaced (very flappy) along with replacement of Aortic root. Still a bit slap happy (from drugs/anathes?). Not able to concentrate too long on an email. Feeling like a new man though.

Thank you very much for your comments and well wishes. This website and members sure made the process go more smoothly.

Take Care,
Dion

Thanks fo the update. Glad things are going so well and you could feel the difference a "normal" valve made the first day. Now just focus on you. as you said dont over do, but get your walks, breathing exercises, naps in. Looking forward to reading that you are home

Excellent news! Welcome to the other side my friend. Spoiler Alert: your Bears prevailed Monday night and I actually lived up to my promise of rooting them on for you. (Not an easy task for a loyal Vikings fan). I'm really happy that you are feeling better than before. Get plenty of rest and don't forget to move around as much as possible. It really seemed to jump start my recovery. Hope your recovery goes smoothly and you get to go home soon. Thanks for the update!

Tom

I am 44 yrs old. The suspected bicuspid aortic valve was identified and replaced (regurgitating), along with the aortic root (SJM (St. Jude Mechanical) Masters HP Valved Graft).

Cheers,
Dion

Thanks Tom. I actually watched the game with you. Surgery was done around noon and they had a small tv by every bed hanging from a ceiling mounted swivel in in the ICU. Unfortunately the game was not all that good, but I'm blaming it on the meds. I'll catch the game tonight and root for the Vikings just after I return from my 5th walk (they are short walks). I hope to be out by Saturday but have been warned about INR levels (currently 1.2).

I look forward to talking with you soon.
Take Care,
DIon

Wow, I am impressed! That is amazing to feel improved so quickly! Congratulations and best wishes for a continued speedy recovery!

Carol

Thanks Tom. I actually watched the game with you. Surgery was done around noon and they had a small tv by every bed hanging from a ceiling mounted swivel in in the ICU. Unfortunately the game was not all that good, but I'm blaming it on the meds. I'll catch the game tonight and root for the Vikings just after I return from my 5th walk (they are short walks). I hope to be out by Saturday but have been warned about INR levels (currently 1.2).

I look forward to talking with you soon.
Take Care,
DIon

Can't wait to hear how things went. Good to hear that you're up and around. Go Vikings!

Tom

Latest posts

Back