AVR tomorrow

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I went home. I find it touching watching the kids very gently approach me and hug me. I am continuing to track along according to the ‘plan’. I am tired but able to gently do a few things around the house. Sleeping is uncomfortable. I find not sleeping on my side challenging. How much gentle tilt can you add (with pillows) without putting your sternum at risk?

Hi Astro - where are you sleeping ? I found I had to sleep on our sofa, propped almost upright with pillows and cushions, for the first six weeks or so. Sleep was still rather elusive as it's not a natural position for sleeping but lying down was impossible. As time went on I found I could experiment with lying down on my side for short periods each night, adding a bit more time on my side while being very careful of my sternum. At six weeks I found I could sleep more or less normally and was able to sleep in my bed.

Hi
glad to read that you're home

How much gentle tilt can you add (with pillows) without putting your sternum at risk?

basically if it feels comfortable its good (nerves are handy sometimes), as far as I know the biggest issue is the lifting and how you sit up. I was instructed to keep elbows tight into sides and pull with a rope that was at the foot of the bed (so you're sitting mainly with your abs).

I found I slept mostly on my back, but had a slender pillow under one shoulder / hip to tilt me a little onto one side.

No lifting for as you know the sternum is a slender and flexible bone.

Second week will be better :)

Best wishes

Last edited:
Congrats on coming home! What a relief that feeling is. Other than the discovery that sleeping isn't that much more comfortable physically despite the fact you are in your own place.

The only way Mathias could sleep for about 6 weeks was in a zero gravity chair...seriously, the ones you lounge in in the sunshine on your patio. He could use his legs to sit himself up, and we covered it with blankets and he had thin pillows under each arm and behind his back. It was the only way he could be comfortable for a few hours at a time. He is usually a side or stomach sleeper, so being forced to sleep on his back was really challenging. Also, one of the pain medications they prescribed kept him awake too, so we had to tailor that at our follow up appointments.

As pellicle says, the second week should be better. Honestly, I think for the recovery patient the time seems to snail by because of the limitations you have, but before you know it you'll be sleeping comfortably and back to normal activity!

Today I went home. I find it touching watching the kids very gently approach me and hug me. I am continuing to track along according to the ‘plan’. I am tired but able to gently do a few things around the house. Sleeping is uncomfortable. I find not sleeping on my side challenging. How much gentle tilt can you add (with pillows) without putting your sternum at risk?
Welcome Home @Astro!

I’d got myself a comfy electric recliner for my first post surgery weeks at home. Was a tremendous help for getting myself into the correct posture for relatively painless sleeping and resting. I never had it reclined flat at all. Always at an angle I felt comfortable with. The less strain (on the sternum), the less pain (and risk to the wound and healing bone).

Hope you find some good angles to sleep with and each day brings a healthy improvement. 👌🏼

Welcome home! I hope you keep feeling stronger and stronger!

Before I left the hospital, the cardiac nurse discharging me told me not to try to sleep on my side for 6 weeks. But it seems everyone gets different instructions. Hope you can find a way to become more comfortable.

Very late chiming in....but hope you are on the mend and scheduled to get home. Best wishes,
I see you are now home! Best wishes for a smooth recovery. I slept with ALOT of pillows the first few weeks home. I built a fort around myself. :) Hope you can find some comfort.

Thank you everyone for your support. I did manage to get useful sleep last night and feel better.
Be sure to rest as you feel you need to. Take light walks around the house and get out to get fresh air. Just take it one day at a time. You will be better soon.

Latest posts

Back