AVR tomorrow

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALTSELGREEN

Well the day of our 18 year old son's surgery has arrived. He had been originally been lined up for a Ross Procedure given his age but closer examination has shown his Aorta is too large to accept his pulmonary valve satisfactorily so the decision has been made to go with a tissue valve. We are at the Royal Brompton hospital in London and surgery is scheduled for 8am tomorrow. The only glitch is that there may not be an ICU bed available which could delay the operation. We are remaining positive though and all Sam's pre-surgery tests have been completed-so we are ready to go -so fingers are crossed!!!:wink2:

Sending best wishes and hugs. Hopefully it goes ahead on schedule -here's looking to a better future from a fellow Uk member x

Your family sounds strong and positive. I wish the best for your son’s surgery. It’s understandable to be anxious about such a large operation, but at the same time it’s reassuring to know that this surgery has come a long ways and the surgeons are extremely experienced with the techniques of this successful life saving procedure.

With ongoing research of various improvements it’s possible that there could be cause for added peace of mind for valve patients further down the road :thumbup:

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope the surgery goes perfectly. Fingers crossed!

Tom

Thank you for all your kind messages - I am pleased to say that everything has proceeded to plan and Sam went into surgery an hour ago. He was in high spirits without a care in the world due to that wonderful pre-med!!!!!!! Update later.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family. Will wait for your updates. :)[/QUOTE

Thank you all again for the kind words - surgery was completed about 3 hours ago - surgeon said procedure had gone well. Saw Sam about 2 hours ago - they had had a small bleed issue with his incision and have kept him asleep to keep his BP low- and have kept close monitoring of his chest drains while in ICU. I have just come from his bed side and they have now started slowly withdrawing the propofol to slowly wake him as the bleed is no longer an issue so he should be awake in the next hour or so. His girlfriend and mum with him now as only 2 at a time allowed in ICU. Will update further tomorrow.

Please add my prayers and well wishes for your son's successful surgery and recuperation.

Carol
(Just 3 weeks post AVR today and feeling better each day!)

Hi all and thanks again for your messages- Visited Sam this morning on ICU - he eventually woke at 9pm last night and they took him off the ventilator- He had a reasonably good night, but today his temperature is up and down and they are keeping him in ICU for now. They have run some blood culture and sputum test's to check for infection. Hopefully this will not be the case, but they are not taking any chances. He has eaten a little today so that is a good sign. We can visit again later so will update after that. Tony

Hi Tony,

I hope the tests came back ok. Still praying everything goes ok for Sam. Take care!

Tom

Hi everyone - no infection was discovered and his temperature became stable and he was transferred to the high dependency unit where he's made great progress. The drains were removed yesterday and most of the IV's. The good news is he is now on the regular care unit and is on oral pain killers. He has managed a short walk and had been craving a Mcdonalds! So the nurses said why not! Hoping for the neck cannulas and pacing wires to go tomorrow which will make things more comfortable!!

Fantastic news, prayers are with you.

Had exactly the same operation in April of this year, at the Derriford in Plymouth.

Everything will be fine!

Take care

Mike

These young kids can do everything in a flash. One day he's waiting for surgery, and seems like just a few days later he wants McD's. Great progress, and we hope he has smooth sailing for the rest of the journey.

Back