AVR then I got covid 1 year later and I now have diabetes!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I work in medical field seeing patients and I don’t see a patient without a mask. I got diabetes 2 months after 2 nd infection of covid. I had 4 vaccinations and recently just took the bivalent vaccine as there are studies that show some reversal. Being diabetic sucks, I started taking an Sglp2 inhibitor, jardiance. Put a continuous glucose monitor on for first time after drinking a cold coffee slushy thing and the monitor was at 330. I ran a total of 5 miles yesterday and the levels are in green. Moral of story, don’t get covid protect yourself.

I got diabetes 2 months after 2 nd infection of covid
wow ... now that's interesting.

Before I go searching, is that like "winning the lottery" levels of chance?

Sorry to read that. Didn't want to click like, but I did like this bit:

Moral of story, don’t get covid protect yourself.

I attribute my tachycardia to a dose of COVID too.

sorry to use this opportunity, but a drum I've been banging for about 10 years now is:
People get hysterical about warfarin and testing once a week, but diabetics test more than 4 times daily and administer a drug which is far more potentially harmful than warfarin, and they administer it more frequently.​
So why then do people get anxious about warfarin when we (those on it) test once a week and revise our dose weekly and take it once a day?​

Seems irrational to me. Seems borderline immoral on the part of doctors to demonise it too.

I have a continuous glucose monitor implanted in back of my right tricep and it gives readings instantly with the wave of my iPhone. I have run 10 miles this weekend and cut back food and increase water to help compensate for the mechanism of hyperglycemia by having you piss out the equivalent to a candy bar (250 calories). Technology gives me instant feedback painlessly.

Sorry to hear about your diabetes.

However, good for you for using a continuous glucose monitor. I was diagnoses with pre-diabetes 4 years ago and, although I did not use a CGM, I bought a simple glucose meter and started testing myselft after each meal and several times per day for the next 4 months. I learned what foods caused my BG to rise and what activities controlled it. The bloodwork now shows that my pre-diabetes is in remission. A1c of 5.0% and normal fasting BG levels.

I have a good friend with diabetes. A doctor. Despite my encouragement, he has not yet used a CGM, nor does he use a meter. Still eats mostly what he wants, and has no idea how various foods affect his BG, except for assuming the obvious- sugary foods. Without feedback, it is very hard to control the damaging blood glucose spikes.

Hoping you can get you diabetes into remission.

My levels have been good all day with just the jardiance. Only ran 1.5 miles today with no frightening blood sugar readings. Looks like medication is doing well. Telling you guys it is a great drug to help with ASHD, remodeling basement membrane of kidney, decrease in stroke, and all cause mortality decrease. They need to put it in water. Probably appropriate medication for someone on this board. SGLT2 Inhibitors Produce Cardiorenal Benefits by Promoting Adaptive Cellular Reprogramming to Induce a State of Fasting Mimicry: A Paradigm Shift in Understanding Their Mechanism of Action

Hi

I have a continuous glucose monitor implanted in back of my right tricep and it gives readings instantly with the wave of my iPhone.
So, more than 4 times a day ;-)

This is consistent with what I usually say, electronics has given us the ability to measure more and more conveniently. That's the next major revolution in pharmacology.

Also, just because I have a mental problem with Free Advertising (and got tired of people touting their iPhones around me when they were actually inferior to what I was using back in the iPhone 3 daze), it doesn't have to be an iPhone ... all the other smart phones work too ;-)

Smartest thing Apple ever did was preset the email app to add the signature line saying:

"... sent from my iPhone"​

as if other phones before it hadn't been doing that for years. Cunning.

Insulin and monitoring, took diabetes from "death sentence" to manageable illness.

Best Wishes

I insisted upon it. I want to see what my diet and exercise do for the sugars. In my opinions cgm should be standard of care for diabetes. Especially important early on.

Thanks. Are you in US? Did insurance pay for it? I would like hubs to get one. I know he won’t do finger sticks unless he truly has to but monitoring his sugars with an Apple Watch - now we’re talking

I insisted upon it. I want to see what my diet and exercise do for the sugars. In my opinions cgm should be standard of care for diabetes. Especially important early on.
I was diagnosed with diabetes (monogenic) back in 2007. I immediately went on a very low carb way of eating after reading 'Diabetes Solution' by Dr Richard Bernstein, himself a Type 1 diabetic. In addition to very low carb eating I was testing my blood glucose levels too, both before food and one and two hours after food. My diabetes went into complete remission about three years ago !

Yes I live in states and as I mentioned I am in medical field and access is not an issue for me. Really helps to see what is well metabolized and what isn’t.

Dear op,
The effectiveness of masking has been proven to be not as strong as has been promoted. Also, i have been fully vaxed and had c19 a month ago. So sorry to hear about your other difficulties, that's a shame. I could say further things about C19, being skeptical inre of world governments, but I will bite my tongue. Hope wellness to you .

Won’t catch me without a mask now. I believe in Louis Pasteur with his goose neck flask experiment showing that germs are in air. You have to use a mask correctly or it won’t work. I didn’t get one cold when I wore it thru 3 years of covid and now that I relaxed it in past few months. Won’t do that again.

The effectiveness of masking has been proven to be not as strong as has been promoted
I think proven is a strong word, especially when they acknowledge themselves things like:

Evidence is limited by imprecision and heterogeneity for these subjective outcomes.
We are very uncertain on the effects of N95/P2 respirators
moderate‐certainty evidence
Wearing masks in the community probably makes little or no difference to the outcome of influenza‐like illness (ILI)/COVID‐19 like illness compared to not wearing masks (risk ratio (RR) 0.95, 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.84 to 1.09; 9 trials, 276,917 participants
Harms were poorly measured and reported, but discomfort wearing medical/surgical masks or N95/P2 respirators was mentioned in several studies (very low‐certainty evidence).

while forgetting it was not about the outcome of disease progression, it was actually about reducing the rapidity of progression of transmission within the community or the R value. I don't think anyone doubted that over time everyone would get it. I for one have said its a almost a certainty that I'd get it (and I did).

Using "proven" is like saying "all" ... if I were to say "all Americans are unable to read properly" it would be improper and wrong.

Its the correct and accurate use of words which distinguishes science and veracity from hype or marketing or pushing an agenda.

I wonder if you're watching a particular YouTube channel by a well known educator?

The Authors conclusions sums it up

Authors' conclusions

The high risk of bias in the trials, variation in outcome measurement, and relatively low adherence with the interventions during the studies hampers drawing firm conclusions.

proof indeed

Last edited:
I work in medical field seeing patients and I don’t see a patient without a mask. I got diabetes 2 months after 2 nd infection of covid. I had 4 vaccinations and recently just took the bivalent vaccine as there are studies that show some reversal. Being diabetic sucks, I started taking an Sglp2 inhibitor, jardiance. Put a continuous glucose monitor on for first time after drinking a cold coffee slushy thing and the monitor was at 330. I ran a total of 5 miles yesterday and the levels are in green. Moral of story, don’t get covid protect your

Yes the R knot value was as high as 17 which means for everyone that got it , it spread to 17 people. I have used masks all the time as a physician and a ton while I did some biochem research. To not use a mask with an aerosolized infectious disease is not advised and I will continue to use my fashionable N95. We don’t know what all the long term consequences from covid and all I was suggesting is protect yourself. I have seen Covid mess up people’s electrical system in their heart and they have all grown pacemakers since their last infection. Not even talking about the scores of people who have “long covid” . The virus was weaponized quite well.

I have seen Covid mess up people’s electrical system in their heart and they have all grown pacemakers since their last infection.
I am of the view that my tachycardia was as a result of an exposure to COVID. I don't recall suffering much but the person I was working with the day before called me to tell me he'd tested positive. I'm fortunate that I'm presently well controlled by small doses of Metoprolol.

Giving up drinking is a relatively minor penalty.

Latest posts

Back