Avr surgery scheduled for Oct.25,2012. Requesting prayer

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bravo64

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to the site, which I have to say, is a wonderful help site. Anyway, let me introduce myself. My name is Ralph and have been married to my beautiful wife, Laurie for 25 years next May. Laurie has congenital heart defect, more specifically, avr with mvr regurgitation. Interestingly, she has had no apparent symptoms until recently. Unbeknown to me, she has had some shortness of breath and swelling to her lower extremities. Laurie has always attributed everything to her allergies and post nasal drip. As for her swelling feet, she blamed it on the job. She would come home and elevate her feet until the swelling subsided. Well, she began to notice that this was no longer happening. Approximately 3 weeks ago, I was finally able to convince her to go to the ER. once there, they did a full work up. The dr's in the ER stated she had CHF, severe aortic stenosis and on top of all that, she had pneumonia. Needless to say, she was admitted to the heart center for further testing. Needless to say, she had a plethora of doctors/nurse practitioners/technicians poking and ordering many, many procedures. Ultimately had to find a cardi-thorasic surgeon, whom I had no knowledge of. Finally located a group that were supposed to have a good reputation, however, found that to be incorrect. Unfortunately, we were misguided and I believe, taken advantage of due to Laurie having good insurance company. Everyone got a piece of the pie before getting rid of us. After approximately 2 weeks at this hospital, the surgeon came and told us they were unable to perform the surgery at this hospital because Laurie was considered high risk/critical care patient plus the fact they didn't have a ventricular assist device machine that they would need. My question to them was, "you new she was "high risk/critical care" patient 2 weeks ago and you knew you didn't have this machine 2 weeks ago. Then why didn't you come to us in the beginning to tell us." maybe we could have been transferred to the proper hospital in the meantime and possibly already had the surgery and on the road to recovery. Well, they couldn't give me a logical explanation nor look me in the eye. Anyway, thank god we are out of there and currently dealing with Shands in Gainesville, FL with a great group of doctors/staff.
Laurie's surgery is scheduled for Next thursday, Oct 25. We have to be there on Monday. The cardiologist group of doctors want to attempt to lower the pressures in her lungs. She also has pulmonary hypertension. They want to try and lower thos pressures by inserting some type of catheter(swan) in her neck area where they will be able to administer a scope to measure the pressures in addition to medicines. Hopefully they succeed. Needless to say, we are both terrified. I feel so bad for her. I wih that I could trade places with her. I try to stay positive, especially in front of her. I've always been the strong one in the family, physically and mentally, however, lately, I feel helpless. Like I explained to Laurie, we have done everything we could to have a positive outcome but in the end, it's ultimately in gods hands and I'm sure he will guide the surgeon and his team and give you calm and peace. We will overcome this and continue with our lives.
If I could ask you all to please pray for my wife when she undergoes her surgery on Oct. 25, 2012. That would really mean a lot to us both. Thank you all and god bless!!

Last edited:
Good luck to Laurie on Thursday! I will keep you both in my prayers. I have heard good things about Shands so I am sure you will be in good hands.

Ralph, my thoughts and prayers will be with you and Laurie on Thursday. I look forward to hearing from you when she is in recovery. Good luck and take care!

Tom

Ralph, I will be sending prayers up for you and Laurie starting right now and most especially on Thursday. My husband and I had been truly happily married for 32 years when I had my AVR. He was my rock just as I had been for him through previous medical issues (not heart related). In any case, just remember to listen to her, and smile and kiss her bunches. Oh yea and on the day of surgery have a pen and some paper handy in your pocket in case she wants to tell you she loves you and the breathing tube is still in. Take care of yourself also. Try to get some rest too. You and she are a team and you both will come through this with flying colors. I shall look forward to hearing that she is in recovery and doing well. God Bless you both;)

Praying for Laurie and wishing the very best with her upcoming surgery. My prayers for you also....stay strong and think positive. Will be waiting for an update from you when you can.

Godspeed.

Sending prayers Laurie's surgery went well today.
Hopefully she is being kept comfortable now and is starting her recovery.
Please let us know how she and you are doing.
Best wishes.......

Prayers for both of you. I found your post today, I hope Laurie is in recovery and over the mountain so that you both can enjoy the best that is yet to come. Take care of yourself, you need rest too.

Update: 10/27/12

Update: 10/27/12

Laurie underwent approximately a 9 hr surgery. We were finally able to briefly see her late that afternoon. She was hooked up to all these machines, including a breathing tube, some nitric oxide machine and a machine that worked with a balloon that was inserted into her heart. I'm sure you all can relate and know exactly which machines I'm referring to. She was heavily sedated so we said good night for now. The following morning, my kids and I were grateful we didn't receive any phone calls throughout the night. Friday morning we visited with Laurie, who was more alert, however, seemed very agitated and was complaining of the breathing tube. I felt so helpless, unable to help her. Due to her being very upset and agitated, the nurse increased her sedation medication. Laurie appeared to be stable and resting more comfortably.
Saturday, 10/27/12: we arrived at 9:00 am and found Laurie to be much more alert and responsive. She was able to communicate with us by writing on a pad. She expressed her dislike of the breathing tube and was thirty. The doctors then informed us that they were satisfied and happy with her numbers, therefore, they were planning on removing the machine with the balloon. As a result, they had to increase the sedation medication to remove this. I noticed the pulmonary hypertension numbers prior to the surgery were in the mid to high 90's now the were in the 40-50 range. I also noticed her BP prior to surgery was in the low 90's/70 now it's around 115/77. Anyway, getting very tired, going to bed. My children are leaving tomorrow. Gonna miss them. Thank you all for the concern/support. Till the next time.

At least she is feeling better. When I was on the breathing tube and was coming around, all I could do was to bang the bed railing and the nurse kept reassuring me it would be out soon. Then, before I knew it, I woke to it being taken out. But glad the vitals are great, sound on the great road to recovery. She just does what the doctor tells her, she will be just fine. Hope you more better news today when you see her. Hugs for all of you. Have a great day.

It is great that she seems to be doing well. For the most part her condition is a lot more severe than most of us were. For instance the CHF concerns aren't that much of a concern for most. Breathing tubes usually can come out shortly after waking. Mention of VAD and heart transplants pre-surgery aren't too frequent, etc.

What is the ballon with a machine thing? Is that some type of VAD device?

From what you say, she seems to be doing well. I imagine she will see quite a big improvement from her pre-surgery condition as she recovers.

Latest posts

Back