AVR Scheduled for March 10

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echoguy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hey Everybody:

I am not sure how things are working with the new system, although I certainly was so new with the old one that I didn't have that one figured out yet anyway.

I am looking forward to aortic valve replacement on March 10 at the Cleveland Clinic with Dr. Eric Roselli. We will be heading up from Cincinnati (four-ish hour drive) on Sunday March 7 for pre-op testing on Monday morning. I hope to spend Tuesday at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (avoiding all other people and not touching any surfaces with my hands:))

The plan is for a bovine valve, although I have not yet discussed this with Dr. Roselli, just Dr. Stewart, my cardiologist up there.

My current state of mind is good although I am having a little trouble sleeping. My level of anxiety reminds me very much of the anticipation of a big race. (I am a distance runner) I hope that my athletic training pays off in pacing myself to a smooth recovery. We'll see.

Happy trails.

Hey Everybody:

I am not sure how things are working with the new system, although I certainly was so new with the old one that I didn't have that one figured out yet anyway.

I am looking forward to aortic valve replacement on March 10 at the Cleveland Clinic with Dr. Eric Roselli. We will be heading up from Cincinnati (four-ish hour drive) on Sunday March 7 for pre-op testing on Monday morning. I hope to spend Tuesday at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (avoiding all other people and not touching any surfaces with my hands:))

The plan is for a bovine valve, although I have not yet discussed this with Dr. Roselli, just Dr. Stewart, my cardiologist up there.

My current state of mind is good although I am having a little trouble sleeping. My level of anxiety reminds me very much of the anticipation of a big race. (I am a distance runner) I hope that my athletic training pays off in pacing myself to a smooth recovery. We'll see.

Happy trails.

I think your physical condition will help your recovery immensely.
Your anxiety sounds like it's less than what mine was, and comparing the surgery to a race is a pretty good one. As everyone says, the waiting is the worst part.
We'll be looking for more posts before you take off for CC.

Echoguy,

Your running background should help you "go the distance." We will all be with you in spirit. Going to the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame beforehand is a great idea. Of course, you have chosen a first-class venue at Cleveland Clinic. Will be sending you good vibes on the 10th.

Hey Everybody:

I am looking forward to aortic valve replacement on March 10 at the Cleveland Clinic with Dr. Eric Roselli. We will be heading up from Cincinnati (four-ish hour drive) on Sunday March 7 for pre-op testing on Monday morning.

Happy trails.

You are going to be just fine! Have you set a goal for recovery? I ran Army 10 miler 11 months post op. My thread is probably long gone from the cardiac athletes forum, with the forum change over, but you can pm me when you are up to it. I'm a native marathoner, maybe one day again soon...Tom is also a distance runner so you may want to hop or run on over to the cardiac athletes forum and do a search. Cardiac Athletes is arranging relay teams for Harrisburg, PA this November, I have not committed yet but who knows?

My cardiologist put it best: "Having the surgery now preserves your heart health in it's current state. Waiting will deteriorate that health, and even if you have the surgery later, we can't give back what you have lost."

The anxiety is the hardest part leading up to surgery, even the strongest admit their feelings. The day of surgery you will feel an eary sense of calm. I did, and I'm almost 3 years post op. I'm one of those types that worries about everything!

Lean on VR as you need to. We're all here for you in some form, whether it's posts, thoughts, prayers.

Good luck on surgery day. :)

Echoguy,
I am a runner (age 48) and had an AVR on 9th Feb 2010. My general fitness seemed to help me recover from the anasthetic quicker that other people who were on the same ward. There was another man who was 75 but had kept himself fit who also recovered fairly quickly. The whole thing is not as bad as you think. I felt really calm once I was in hospital. There were people who were on the same ward who had their operation 4/5 ago and looked fairly normal which helped a lot. The hard bit is after the op, forcing myself NOT to do too much too soon!!!!

All the best
Martin

You are going to be just fine! Have you set a goal for recovery?
Thanks LucyLou and Everyone!

I have learned over the years of marathoning to have many different levels of goals. My main goal is to be able to hike strenuously but safely at altitude. I would like to be able to run again, and if I can, and if my recovery goes great, I would like to run the Comrades (ultra) Marathon in 2-3 years. How's that for a big goal?

I thought today about a concept in ultra running that I anticipate will apply to surgery recovery. We know it as RFM, relentless forward motion. I'll keep you all up to date how that works out.

Echoguy:

Best of luck with your surgery and recovery. I am sure your running will help your recovery. Enjoy your trip to the rock and roll hall of fame. Waiting is the hardest part. For the most part i dealt with it pretty well but there were days i had a hard time with the upcoming surgery and the people on here helped a great deal. Cleveland Clinic's new heart wing is amazing. With it being march when you are having your surgery you probably won't have a chance to go up to the rooftop terrace in J wing but they do have an inside part to the terrace and it was real nice to go up there and just get away for a couple of minutes from all the hospital stuff.

We're here for you, but you'll do fine. The Comrades is a lofty but great goal. I have thought about that one myself...

Thinking of you and sending good vibes from this neck of the woods.. I acho the eary calmness a day or two before the surgery. In the end also decided on a CE Bovine pericardium valve. At 66 I was sort of borderline and was keen on the On_X but my surgeon convinced me of the advantages of being free from anticoagulation at my age.. You will do just fine.

Last edited:
EG, I think most us of us had problems sleeping during the time before surgery. The only thing I found that helped was to make time during the day for periodic cat naps. As for your background as a runner, you should find that it will give you an excellent foundation to build on when your heart can move blood around normally. Your body will bounce back as long as you are deliberate at pacing yourself. Listen to Martin, his advice is good.

Larry

Is WiFi available in the hospital at the Cleveland Clinic? If so, can I use my laptop in the waiting room to use on Monday while I am waiting for my tests? Can I use it while in the hospital?

Last edited:
Echoguy...

Your gonna be tickled when your done with this whole surgical scene. I was a wanna-be runner who struggled mightily to do 3 or 4 miles pre-surgery. I didn't know I had a heart issue, thought it was conditioning or something to that effect. I had my procedure on 2/29 which tomorrow will kinda be my 2 yr anniversary. Today I ran 5 EASY miles with my wife as Im training for my 2nd 1/2 marathon. Last year was my first.

Your gonna bounce right back form this and within four or five months be back to running with authorirty...

Best of luck to you....

Well, I just went out and bought myself my first MP3 player, an iPod Nano, so that I can download the Guided Imagery Program from the Cleveland Clinic. Now I have 10 days to get the thing figured out so that it can be of some use.:rolleyes:

Echo, I have the feeling you are going to come through this surgery with flying colors! Anticipating all the whatifs and wherefor's puts you ahead of the pack.

Good luck and godspeed.

Wishing you the very best as you wait for your surgery. Those of us who have made it to the other side of the mountain, all dealt with variations of the same kind of anxiety that you are now experiencing. I was relieved to find a comforting word or two from VRmembers--even in the middle of the night! Hang in there, you're in good hands at the Cleveland Clinic and your past running experience should give you a leg up on many of us. While you're waiting, enjoy the Rock n' Roll museum and let us know if you spot Elvis! Jane

Latest posts

Back