AVR on Nov 21, 2022

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently in the waiting room waiting for the operations getting a bit nervous and emotional, operation will be in an hour, will update you guys when I can.
We've all been there buddy. For me, I was very calm leading up to surgery, but it did get to me the morning of the procedure, just as you are experiencing now. What you're feeling is totally normal. But, the surgery really is the easy part. Soon, they will give you an IV and when they turn it on you will start to feel super relaxed, like you want to close your eyes, and the next thing you know you wake up on the other side and start your recovery. You're in great hands and you'll do just fine.

Welcome to the other side!
Glad it has all gone well. The recovery starts now! Do lots of walking as and when you can👍

Congrats. Welcome back. Did you get a mini or full sternotomy? Keep up with the breathing exercises and walking. And rest! Every day gets better.

Thank you, today I had my first two walks after the operations,still a little hard to breathe with the chest tube still inside, and right shoulder pain is horrible.

Hang in there. Sometimes pain is due to the body being positioned on the operating table in the best way to allow access for the surgical team. Hopefully, it gradually calms down now that you are not in an unusual position.

Job #1 is to do everything possible to facilitate recovery. Spirometer, walking, sitting up, eating, etc.

Don't worry, you got this.

Just a quick follow up, after I got everything out drainage, pacing wires I started doing a lot better immediately, today is the first day I'm going without pain meds (been here for 4 days today's the 5th day).
Shoulder pain is a lot better breathing a lot better as well, having trouble getting my INR in range currently at 1.4 if my INR gets in INR I should be getting discharged on Sunday and the coming back for a check up Wednesday then I could fly home.

Only issue in facing is sleeping at night, but I think I can fix that if I follow a schedule and not sleep during the day.

Cleveland Clinic has been amazing I cannot complain, no wonder it has that many recommendations.

Sounds great, Dunwanted. Yes, INR can take a while to stabilise. Don't fret about it - things will improve.

Also, I am not sure what briefing you were given before the operation, but at my hospital in 2014 the Cardiac Nurse session said that the body is amazing at diverting energy from other parts of the body to help with the healing. However, the brain is the biggest user of energy, and so your ability to concentrate will be reduced for the first few weeks as energy is diverted elsewhere. They said you may not be able to watch a whole TV programme, or read for more than 20 minutes, but that this is normal and just nap a lot. Don't make any big decisions for the first three months!

Listen to your body: sleep when you need, and as you recover your sleep pattern will return towards normal.

Trying to, right should pain is dreadful
it took me a few months to be able to put on a T-Shirt my usual way ... use pain as a guide, don't do what hurts, but having said that you need to also keep mobility happening. Its a learning curve that's highly personal and hard to communicate.

Its like "stretching pain" vs "sprained pain"

slow and steady wins the race :-D

l, having trouble getting my INR in range currently at 1.4 if my INR gets in INR I should be getting discharged on Sunday
it takes time to "install" the right balance of warfarin in you and the interference mechanism to the machinery of your coagulation. No need to memorise this, but just look at the complications of molecules and pathways involved

1669419514417.png

the same goes with direct Thrombin and factor Xa inhibitors as mentioned above.

They need to
  1. make a dose estimate (which could be between 1mg and 10mg) {they usually start on 4mg}
  2. check INR and typically see in two days what the slope on the curve is
  3. determine if the slope is steadying off and taper the dose or not responding and increase the dose (you don't want the patient going too high in INR as that has other significant risks)
  4. repeat until in range.
The best system I've ever read about is 4 days on average.

HTH

Latest posts

Back