AVR next week (9/11 or 12?)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dorie

Oh wow...hope I am doing this right?? Found a great site by Steve Goldberger who had his avr in 1999. Found the site by typing in "angiogram". Sent him an email to thank him for all the good info I received from his journal. He has/had a music group called the Bum Tickers...is from Canada, and gave a blow by blow description of what was going on and his reactions to everything.
He emailed my back last night with a suggestion to this site.

I am quite anxious to say the least. I had my exam w/cardiologist last Friday the 31st and was scheduled for the angiogram today but was postponed to next week due to problems at the hospital's end with scheduling. They plan to do both the angio and the avr and most likely by-pass in one go round. Will be in Mercy General in Sacramento, CA and from what I can find on the net, it is one of the top places for this procedure. Sure hope so!!
dorie

Hi Dorie-

Welcome to the site. You'll find so many people here that have faced heart surgery. There's a wealth of info. from what to do before surgery to how to manage after the surgery is over and you're recovering. We'll all be happy to help you get through the difficult days prior to surgery.

Sounds like things are coming along nicely and you'll have a new "you" in a few days. You'll do fine, and will feel so much better afterward.

Good luck,

Hi Nancy...thanks much for your encouraging response. I am so happy to have been directed to this site. I also contacted Diane in Ohio re: the Guided Imagry tapes and they are on the way.

Just waiting now to hear back from Dr. Lee re: when I go in this next week. Found Mercy General's web site and another hoorah!!They are touted as being #1 in cardiac stuff and avr as well - in California.

dorie

RP???

RP???

Sorry to sound so "out of it" but what is the Ross Procedure?
dorie

Hi Dorie-

The best thing you could do is to go into the members section, top of this page and look for Peter Easton, then his thread "Making the choice". He did EXTENSIVE research on all the different types of valves. Very interesting. Much more info. than I could ever impart.

Happy reading!

Hi Dorie

Hi Dorie

The Ross Procedure? it's cool. If you chechk out this site as Nancy suggested you will see a lot of my ramblings on it. I had it. Basically, the surgeon takes out your aortic valve, trashes it, takes out your pulmonic valve and moves it to the aortic position and then puts in a homograft valve in the pulmonic position. Simple enough? Wll, actually very demanding and long, and not right for everyone, but has benefits to young patients ages 1-50.

Good luck wiht yours!

Come back anytime and ask questions, that's why we are here.
Keep us posted and let us know how you did.

-Mara
Ross Procedure
7/12/01
Indiana Heart Institute

dorie
you have come to the right place!! Everyone here is so great about information, support, etc. Like having your own personal cheering section! rah rah! I wish the best for you in your upcoming procedure, and will keep you my prayers!

hey dorie,
welcome to this site. i am also new. my husband, joey, 49, is scheduled for a ross procedure this wed., 9/12.
as mara said, and she has been so helpful to us, there is an age span that is ideal for it. also, if you look into peter easton's research (and his research has saved me soooo much time!) , peter said he was too old for the RP and opted for a tissue valve ( one of 2 choices).

whatever you decide, we met with a surgeon early on to get more info and knowledge, thinking it would give us some sense of control. the surgeon we met with a month ago on a flier, is the one who is doing the RP on joey this week.

it helps to gain info and this site is certainly the place to do that. peter had posted a thread entitled "making the choice". if you can find it, i found it so helpful (but had a hard time finding it).

please let us know what you decide. everyone is here to help.
-sylvia

Hi Dorie

Hi Dorie

There is a great site My Ross Procedure where you can all the info you need it also links to other sites that give a wealth of info too. One good one is by a Dr. Stelzer it explains it in great detail. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi all...many thanks for the great responses in the pre-surgery section. This is an unbelievable site and a boon to those of us so new to heart problems. Didn't know I had a problem until my echo in August. Now all is moving so fast but I came down with a cold last night so doubt I will get to surgery this week!

dorie

me too...on Thursday!

me too...on Thursday!

Hi to all and thanks for the many good wishes. In light of today's N.Y. tradgedy and more, i feel my problem is pretty minor.
Have to be at the hospital by 3pm tomorrow for the heart cath at 5pm and then stay over and have the avr on Thursday. Will be back online when i come home! Best wishes to Chris and Joey too!

dorie

Latest posts

Back