AVR Friday - Home Wednesday

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PhilCraun

I want to thank all of you for your support. It was extrememly helpful (as all of you know full well).
Here's my report:
I went in on Thursday for a Cath. expecting to find how far along the valve deteoriation was. Well, I guess we found out. By the way, your help going in to the cath was enormous alkso, thanks.
We found the aortic stenosis was .4, so when I asked them when they thought we should do the AVR, they said, Oh, anytime within the next WEEK." I was thnking perhaps withing the next 6 months. Since they said that, I responded with, "Let's get it over with." So the next morning at 5 AM they had me up getting ready. I was out of the OR into CICU by 10:30 or 11 (they told me). I remember all the tubes in my throat but no real discomfort. By Saturday, I was up walking around with a minimum of problem. The only pain I remember (and it is still there sometimes) is when I cough. But the nurses gave me advice before it began when they said for me to ask for MORE DRUGS. So I did and have had nearly no pain. I was actually ready to come home by Monday(surgery was Friday) but we had to wait for the coumadin to get regulated. It's fine now, so I get to sit home and play on the computger all day long if I want to.
Again, thanks to EVERYBODY.

Hi Phil,

Congrats on a successful surgery and on being home! Don't over-do things. Those pain killers really do make you feel better and stronger than your body really is, So, just take your time and enjoy playing on the computer as your body heals.

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery,

Rob

welcome home

welcome home

The Bum Ticker Journal

Glad all went ok. To help you thru your recovery you might enjoy and get some support from my journal that I kept during my recovery almost 3 years ago.

Please check it out at my web site above.

Good luck,
Steve

Glad you are doing well. I see you got a post from Steve--DO read his journal. He and I went through this just about 3 years ago and were in a different site at the time so I anticipated each chapter as they were being written. In the meantime, a good key to recovery is to walk, walk, walk and breathe, breathe, breathe. All you can stand! Good luck--keep us posted--Susan:cool:

Phil... Fast little devils when they want to be, aren't they???? lol

Glad that you are home and not in too much pain.... keep on feeling good and grab a pillow when you cough!!!

Take care,
Zazzy

Hi there Phil..

Wow, you sound so up beat. Isn't it great to be on the other side of this big hill? And it wasn't that bad eh?
Glad you are home and able to play and feel as good as you do. Keep it up, but do be careful with that Coumadin. It isn't anything to fool around with.

Keep us informed, and glad we could help you over this hurdle. Now it is your turn to help others that may come after you. That is what we are here for.

God Bless!

Christina

Great to read your message. And wonderfully encouraging for all the people who are still waiting.

Congratulations Phil

Congratulations Phil

Great news! May all your mountains be little hills from now on.
Here's to better health.

Hi Phil

You certainly didn't waste much time worrying about it beforehand - what a way to go. Well done. I remember I was so scared about my cath, I was so glad when it was over, I too felt like I wanted to get the AVR over and done with immediately; but I had to wait a month.

Everybody says take it easy during recovery, so here's a short summary of a few do's and dont's that I learnt :-

DO NOT sneeze, whatever you have to do to prevent it!!!!

DO plenty of walking, including hills

DO keep trying new things (in moderation) and if they hurt, then stop and try again a few days later

DO stay positive - it's amazing what positive thoughts can do

DO NOT drive a car until cleared by your doctor (usually about 4 weeks post op)

DO eat plenty of fresh fruit and maintain a healthy diet

DO get plenty of sleep

DO NOT lift anything heavier than a coffee cup. Gradually work your way up to the coffee pot.

DO NOT go for a swim for at least 2 months, unless your surgeon gives you a clearance earlier

Do NOT put anything on your chest wound that you wouldn't put in your eye

DO keep your chest wound clean and avoid infection at all cost

And finally, remember that healing is all about amusing the mind while nature cures the body.

Good luck and keep in touch

From way down under....

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

All good advice in the prior posts, but I just wanted to let you know that I join the crew in congratulating you and welcoming you to this side...and do try hard not to sneeze until about January!:) Good luck and continued improvements.

Congrats! So many of us are making this seem like no big deal, but we have to remember to take it easy in recovery or we can get real messed up real quick (like busting our chest wires, which was an excruciating painful mess for a fellow CICU resident when I had my surgery two months ago). Also, what Rob said about the pain killers distorting the true picture is very true. In any case, you're doing extremely well, especially compared to the very few who unfortunately have complications (whom, like Christina, we should not forget and have great sympathy for). Keep us posted and if you have any bumps on the road, please let the wealth of experience here help you through it.

Ain't it much better on this side?!!!!

Great Recovery

Great Recovery

Phil,
Congratulations!!! Enjoy your new-found health..

Gerry, your great advice sounds like the 10 commandments (or more) of valve replacement surgery. I think everyone going through this should get a copy of "Gerry's Rules".

fdeg

Well, golleee, Phil. We thought you, like most of us, would have to walk a mile first, but you just jumped right in there and GOT IT DONE! One more special miracle and we are so happy you are over the mountain with us. Just don't forget, there will be others coming along who will need your support and information. God bless:)

Latest posts

Back