AVR done Nov 19th, Post Op Update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishnFool

First off thanks to the staff at Centennial Heart Nashville. Amazing care and a great experience from the whole team. My Surgeon was proactive and I am really glad he empowered me to do my own research.
At age 28 I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease. After a splenectomy and radiation at age 28 I have been in remission ever since. However the radiation caused calcification of the aortic valve.

1. I am 55 and choose the INSPIRIS RESILIA Aortic Valve. So far so good, although its early.
2. First 24 hours were the hardest, Those tubes against my chest as I lie down were brutal. It wasn't until I got in a chair that I felt I could breath.
3. I was up and walking the next morning. Back pain was the worst for me. My pain finally got managed on day two. I slept in a chair the nights 2-4 By day 5 I was off my pain meds 95% and heading home , I only have had one pill since coming home last Monday.
4. My Dr Subramaniam put this this plate in my chest. He has used it for professional athletes with great success. And so far I love it. My healing has been quick.
5. Been walking and riding stationary bike daily. Did mild Yoga today and started stretching.
6. I am on 12.5 mg of Metoprolol twice daily, 80 mg aspirin, 10 mg Statin and Eliquis twice daily, Lasix and potassium. The Eliquis is temporary for 30 days. Then the hope is to be off of it.
7. I have always had a high resting heart rate 90-105, although the Metoprolol is supposed to slow it down that has not been my experience so far. However I am hoping getting my health back will slow it down. Still in the same range.

So I want to share a little story and only time will tell if I made the right decision. But perhaps it is a lesson in research. My heart team first recommended a double mechanical valve replacement. Mitral and Aortic. Even though the Mitral valve was working and barley leaking they saw calcium build up. Then I did my pre op MRI. My Dr and I discussed the MRI and he said after further review that valve appears to be in much better shape than we originally discussed.

So I choose to go with the Aortic valve replacement only, I also choose the INSPIRIS RESILIA because I travel a lot and I was hoping to continue that life with out thinners.
After surgery the Dr came in and Said "I want to give you credit, Once I got to the Aortic valve it was clear that is was so calcified that it actually was infringing on the Mitral valve. Once I remove the Aortic Valve it allowed the Mitral to work even better. I cleaned up a little bit calcium and the Mitral valve was almost like new. I think you made the right choice, had I gotten in there and saw it different I was ready to do both valves."

All in all a long road to go, but I wanted to thank this board. It was a life saver for me. I was scared to death pre op and this helped me calm my nerves.

Last edited:
So happy for your positive outcome! This site is outstanding for any post op questions.

what medication (other than warfarin) is typical following AVR ?
and how long do you typically have to take the medications for?

After , say 5 years, can you expect to just be taking warfarin ?

what medication (other than warfarin) is typical following AVR ?
and how long do you typically have to take the medications for?

After , say 5 years, can you expect to just be taking warfarin ?

It depends upon your recovery. I had a mechanical valve, so warfarin and baby aspirin is forever. After release, I took pain meds, stool softeners, a muscle relaxant (my shoulder was injured during the 5 hours), and metropol. In the hospital, I don't remember what they gave me.

what medication (other than warfarin) is typical following AVR ?and how long do you typically have to take the medications for ?
Following AVR, I was on Heparin, a blood thinner, for three days if I remember right, Omeprazole (a proton pump inhibitor to protect stomach) for one week, a diuretic for just over one week, and Atenolol (a beta blocker) for just over six weeks, the dose of Atenolol was halved at three weeks.

I had a mechanical valve replacement 15 years ago. Warfarin is for life but i have learned to manage it . I was 47 at the time and very active. I still am which of course lowers the INR abut. My surgeon said to let the Warfarin adapt to you - don’t you adapt to it - and I have made peace with that advice. It took time to adjust. I do recognize certain foods make my INR go up & down - so i adjust accordingly. The only time i get into crazy town with INR is certain antibiotics which wrecks havoc with INR levels. The newer thinners are not for us mechanical values - however it may be a blessing as the cost of those meds are so high. Maybe by the time they are for us the prices will be generic. At the time of my surgery I was put on Metoprolol as my heart rate went high a few times. The pill is settled things down - but I did get off if after 8 mos. Good Luck to you!

How long were you on Metrophol?

Metropol kept me really relaxed so when my wife and kid fought, I didn't care. However it also cased erectile dysfunction. I noticed that and discussed it with my Cardio at about 4 weeks post surgery and he took me off it.

Well I met with my cardiologist and surgeon post surgery. My echo and ekg came back good. The valve is working great and the mitral is working good.
I am getting off all meds except metaprophol, statin and asprin. Hopefully I will get off the Metaprophol in a few months.
I started cardiac rehab today. I enjoyed it.
My heart rate is around 100 all the time. I hope it comes down but my Drs don't seem worried.

I asked if I can travel mid Jan. They gave me the green light to hook up the rv and head to a warmer climate (Florida) for Feb March and April.
I am not rich, but after this whole process I have made the decision to spend the money I have saved my whole life over the next 15 years. We are going to see the USA while we can. Life is short and I am itching to get my semi retirement on.
If I have to work as a greeter at walmart when I am 70 and live on SS so be it. I am getting my health back and living my life. Time is the most precious asset I have....not money.
Funny how a new heart completely changed my out look on my future.

I asked if I can travel mid Jan. They gave me the green light to hook up the rv and head to a warmer climate (Florida) for Feb March and April.
I am not rich, but after this whole process I have made the decision to spend the money I have saved my whole life over the next 15 years. We are going to see the USA while we can. Life is short and I am itching to get my semi retirement on.
If I have to work as a greeter at walmart when I am 70 and live on SS so be it. I am getting my health back and living my life. Time is the most precious asset I have....not money.
Funny how a new heart completely changed my out look on my future.
Stay safe, enjoy life, and see as much as the world as you can!

Latest posts

Back