AVR Day 10 Update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:



I am now ten days post op and doing well and wanted to post a little about what happened during and after surgery with me. I was in Parkwest Hospital in Knoxville,TN to have an Aortic Valve replacement. The surgery was preformed by Dr. Hesel . He was a good choice for me, an old military doctor, who spent several years teaching heart surgery at Bethesda, I have to admit his experience was a big comfort to me. From my side, I can say that pre-op was perfection very little discomfort with a lot of encouraging words from hospital staff. The last thing I remember is being told I was going to get covered up because it would soon be cold as the blanket landed on my lower body the gurny rolled through the door and I was out 8:17am.
During surgery the aortic vales was replaced as planned with a mechanical valve (still trying to discover which one) , it was also discovered during surgery that I had an aneurysm that must also be repaired so lucky for me they did it when they were in there. I was in surgery until about 1:30pm. My family was able to see me at the 2:30pm CICU visitation but I was still out.
The next thing I hear is my brothers voice saying "Dennis you did great" this was at the 5:30pm CICU visitation. I was not in any pain but was cognitive enough to write the word "tubes" in my brothers hand with my finger to confirm what was going on? and where the discomfort was coming from. The nurses in ICU later restrained my hands fearing i was trying to pull out tubes because i was scratching my head where IV lines in the neck were taped to keep them out of the way. Honest I wasn't It just itched because of the tape
So were am I today 10 days post op?. I was able to go out to dinner with my girlfriend and to sit through a youth football game today. I am currently walking 15 min at a time, 3 times a day and am almost at Pre-Op levels on the Voldyne . This is where i give credit to the forum members advice of focusing my recovery on walking, resting, and breathing. Any pain is controlled with a couple of Tylenol which for right now is mostly muscle discomfort from sitting.
My frustration levels have increased however, as a result of the INR testing situation I am having, not the tests themselves, but the fact I have to fill out ALL the outpatient admitting paperwork each and every time I go in for a test. even on a standing physicians order. I mean how many times do they need the exact same history, physical, insurance information in the same week it is taking approx 45 minutes to 1 hour each time in just paperwork for a 30 second long blood draw including the walk to the lab. Looking hard to change this situation ASAP.


Well-known member
Jan 21, 2008
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio USA
Great you seem to be doing so well. Your right, that is so annoying when they ask for your information time after time. What really tickes me is when you call somewhere and they said "on your dial pad, please put in the 10 numbers of your phone number" Then someone gets on the phone and says "could you tell me your phone number????? At any rate, you seem to be doing all the right things. Take care and don't overdo.


Well-known member
Dec 15, 2001
On The Hot Seat
I think I'd be getting a little bent too if I had to fill out forms everytime. That is nonsense. If were you, I'd keep a copy of them and simply make a ton of copies and hand them to them when going to the appointments.


Glad you are doing so well. Keep up the good work and you will be 100% before you know it!


I'm glad you're doing so well. I hope you keep it up and that you're 100% recovered before too long!


Dennis, welcome to the other side, sounds like you are doing great. Is your INR in range? Start nagging to home test at your next appointment with your surgeon and cardiologist. No more paperwork, no more office visits for draws, more peace of mind for yourself when you are in control of the testing process.


Active member
Jul 29, 2008
Central PA
That would be frustrating! I think the folks at my hospital were trying to melt my insurance card as well, must have 40 copies of that thing over there. Good luck on your continued recovery.

Latest posts