AVR Complete...back home and on the mend

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan CA

Hey Everyone,

Had my AVR and Bentall procedure to replace my Ascending Aorta on Friday June 20th. Surgery lasted just about 6 hours including 3 hours on bypass. I was extebated about 90 minutes after arriving in the ICU.

I received an ON-X valve. The surgery was done by Dr. Razzouk at Loma Linda University Medical Center in California. They have been phenomenal. Fantastic nurses and physicians, I really could not be happier with the care I received there. Dr. Razzouk has been extremely attentive and reassuring. The only down side was hospital food and the fact that it is an older building so the ICU rooms are all dual beds. That was a little rough at times.

I was blessed to go through the surgery and hospital stay with no complications. I was operated on on Friday, and ALMOST came home Monday buy my INR was off by a few ticks so I came home Tuesday.

Things are looking good and with lots of spirometer time and walking, I should be back on my back in a coupe months!

Thanks,
Ryan

Isn't it great to have that behind you! Here's to a smooth, bump free recovery!

oh i can't wait to be in your shoes. i had the catherization and i would say i was pleasantly surprised at how little pain there was if at all. the bad thing was the needle for the iv which she couldn't get a vein...tried once and oh boy , it hurt and she went and got a smaller needle and it was successful...wish she did the first time. the doctor came in and talked to me and he also showed me the pictures afterwards while i was still on the table and showed me a clean bill for the heart (not the valve) the nurse said it looked better than hers so i know now that i will not have to worry about by pass. first experience in hospital in 50 years and of course i was the only woman....in the whole ward waiting for this procedure..strange. well am back to learn more for myself here with u guys...thanks!

Back