AVR Candidate Getting Dizzy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motozona

I am a 56 yr old male with a stenoic Bi- cuspid aortic valve ( moderate?). After getting dehydrated a couple of times this month I was very dizzy upon standing. I can still run 2 miles (its a chore) and ride my bike without chest pain, shortness of breath but this dizzy spell is concerning. Scheduled for a stress test tomorrow. Would you folks be kind enough to share your symptoms before your surgery. Thanks, Mark in Az

My only symptom was fatigue - the kind that feels like you haven't gotten enough sleep. My exercise tolerance was still normal. My valve issue was regurgitation though.

It sounds like dehydration may have caused your blood pressure to drop too much. Is it normally on the low side?

Mine included tiredness and shortness of breath upon exercise...Just didn't "feel right" ...I knew for 40 years that someday would come....was expecting it.....!

Thanks, I went 14 minutes on the tread mill and got the HR to 171. I was spent but my Ego was in the room with us :O .. I wanted to stop a lot earlier but pride wouldn't let me.. LOL. I did see visable calcium on the AV during the ultra sound , Yikes! Wouldn't it be wonderful if someone could discover an enzyme/ chemical combo that could reverse such build up and manage inflammation issues? I'll keep you guys posted after I discuss the results of the tests with the Doctor. Thanks again

Dizziness or lightheadedness upon standing is one of the "lesser" symptoms of a worsening stenotic aortic valve. What happens is that while you are seated (or even worse, kneeling) the body settles into a blood supply level to the brain that is adequate. Upon standing, your lower extremities need more blood flow, but your heart cannot pump enough blood through your valve quickly enough to maintain both the needs of your lower body and your brain. It is kind of an exercise in hydraulics. When a system has a fixed amount of fluid within it (like blood in your body), then you quickly enlarge the area you are trying to fill, the pressure in the system drops. So, what is happening is that temporarily your blood pressure is dropping and you get dizzy. Once your body re-regulates itself, things right themselves and you're back to "normal."

Sorry for the rambling explanation, but I hope it helps you to understand the issue. A stenotic valve cannot pass as much blood as a healthy valve, and eventually the heart cannot force hard enough to overcome the restriction. As this symptom progresses, it may be described as "pre-syncope" (almost fainting). Actually fainting (syncope) is one of the "cardinal symptoms" often pointed to in deciding when to have surgery to repair or replace a stenotic aortic valve. (For the record, the cardinal symptoms are usually listed as fainting, shortness of breath or chest pain).

Thank you Epstns, I have been staying hydrated and feel pretty good. The Nurse practitioner read the report and said I was good to go. That although the stenosis is considered moderate, the performance of the heart in this test gave reason to believe the reason for my dizziness was something else.

Latest posts

Back