AVR and aneurysm repair tomorrow

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingster

I have been following this forum for a while without having an account. I thought it was time to join and post since my surgery is tomorrow. I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve. I have been followed since I was 3 months old. At my yearly cardiologist checkup in September I learned that I had crossed into severe territory and something would need to be done. I always knew this day would come but feel very fortunate that I was able to make it 38 years on my original valve. I was surprised to learn I also have an ascending aortic aneurysm. From reading the various threads, I now know aneurysms are common with a bicuspid valve. I have selected the On-x Mechanical valve. I am hopeful this will help me avoid another surgery in the future. The surgery will be performed at Buffalo General. I have faith in the team that they have assembled. It is wonderful that such a forum exists with so much information and truly inspiring stories. It has helped shed a light on what to expect. It also gives me hope that there is light at the end of this tunnel and I will go on to live a normal life with My Wife and son. :)

Last edited:
I certainly will! I really appreciate the posts that you have made on the forum.

Just seeing this and I guess the surgery has been done by now. Sending best wishes for a smooth recovery. I am of the bicuspid tribe as well -- yes, it is critical to have a skilled cardiologist to detect and monitor aneurysms. Had my first OHS 16 years ago (aortic valve and root replacement), and second one in fall of 2019. When you feel up to it, come back and post and let us know how your recovery is going. I found cardiac rehabilitation to be helpful both times, a few months after surgery when your cardiologist signs off on it.

Hi everyone. I made it through the surgery! If I understand what the doctor told me, a clamp came off my aorta while I was on bypass. Fortunately he was able to resolve it quickly. I did have to have some blood. I was out of it from around 7:45am Friday until Friday 10:30pm. The nurse woke me up slowly with the breathing tube still in. I had to keep it on until I could breath on my own. Everything is fuzzy from the first night but I recall being so thrilled that I could hear that mechanical valve working. I spent the past few nights in the ICU. They removed the chest tubes Saturday night. I was expecting the worst when they were pulled, however the nurse had an awesome technique. She had me lay way back in a recliner, take a deep breath and exhale while she pulled. It hurt very little. I am now out of the ICU and in what they call Coumadin jail. Hopefully once they get my level sorted I will be able to head home. I want to thank everyone for the kind words and positive energy. It is so helpful.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I made it through the surgery! If I understand what the doctor told me, a clamp came off my aorta while I was on bypass. Fortunately he was able to resolve it quickly. I did have to have some blood. I was out of it from around 7:45am Friday until Friday 10:30pm. The nurse woke me up slowly with the breathing tube still in. I had to keep it on until I could breath on my own. Everything is fuzzy from the first night but I recall being so thrilled that I could hear that mechanical valve working. I spent the past few nights in the ICU. They removed the chest tubes Saturday night. I was expecting the worst when they were pulled, however the nurse had an awesome technique. She had me lay way back in a recliner, take a deep breath and exhale while she pulled. It hurt very little. I am now out of the ICU and in what they call Coumadin jail. Hopefully once they get my level sorted I will be able to head home. I want to thank everyone for the kind words and positive energy. It is so helpful.
Well done KIngster! So glad that you are doing well and have shared your experience with us! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Hello again! I was released from Coumadin Jail on good behavior. I am concerned about the increase in my heart rate from pre to post surgery. I used to be anywhere from 60-80bpm resting and am now 100-120bpm resting. The releasing doctor called it sinus tachycardia. She said it may have been caused by them giving me too much diuretics. I have lost over 10 pounds. I assume a lot of that has to be water weight. Any thoughts on the issue? For the moment they put me on a higher does of metoprolol succinate to try and help. Thank you everyone.

Update: I went back to the hospital yesterday. They adjusted my metoprolol succinate dosage. This has corrected the issue. The doctors feel this is only temporary while the heart is healing and they will have to adjust the dosage again in a few moths.

Update: I went back to the hospital yesterday. They adjusted my metoprolol succinate dosage. This has corrected the issue. The doctors feel this is only temporary while the heart is healing and they will have to adjust the dosage again in a few moths.
My body did not respond well to metropolol. Have you tried atenolol? Very old yet effective drug. No side effects like metropolol.

Me too on the Metoprolol. Too many side effects, especially debilitating depression.
I tried no beta blockers for about 4 months. That didn’t work either.

Currently on the atenolol at the lowest dose 25 mg. It’s so much better. No side effects after the first 6 weeks, so far anyway

Latest posts

Back