Austin got a spanking in school today.....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hensylee

Nine yr old Austin got into a fight - he got spanked at school for it today.

His teacher asked him what his mother would say when he got home. He said, through his tears, "She will say, God owns my soul and she owns the rest of my body".

Austin is my great grandson.

Spanking in School?

Spanking in School?

Thought that was outlawed many years ago?..Mary?Can you still spank?..Kameron was sent many times to Principal's office in Elementary school..:D ..Mostly, for talking in class, ect...I think he dreaded the most, knowing his Daddy would find out..:p and what his grounded rules would be for the week:D ..Still got grounded this week for not making up homework when he was sick with strep throat....(son goes thru all his work):p ..No talking on phone, ect..Can you imagine being a policeman.s son?:eek: Poor thing..but, Granbonny still spoils him on weekends.:D what Daddy don't know..stays at Granbonny's house.:D Bonnie

Ross said:
Check the laws of your state. Most, if not all, have banned corporal punishment.

It's legal in Missouri, and my middle school principal has spanked at least two boys at my request.
Mind you, these are 12 year old boys who believe there is no one bigger, meaner, or tougher than them. He spanked them to remind them that there is.
Actually, parents must give permission for the spanking to take place. If they don't agree to it, then the child is given three days of out of school suspension.
Austin wouldn't have been spanked for fighting at our school, but he would have been suspended along with the boy he fought with.

No spanking here

No spanking here

Spanking is not allowed in our school system. I do remember when I was in junior high it was allowed. One of the eigth grade english teachers had a paddle with holes drilled in it. He was very strict and I was terrified when I got him as my teacher. I must say that I learned more in his class than any other class I can remember EVER! Guess maybe there is a connection....?:rolleyes:

There is such a huge difference between corporal punishment and beating. I went to private school through high school and spanking was allowed. I do remember a teacher or two that had paddles. I felt that was unacceptable as it did not permit control, merely lack of control.

However there was control in our schools. Too bad the world can't find a happy medium.

Granbonny said:
Can you imagine being a policeman.s son?:eek:
Bonnie

I can relate to that. My father was the Sheriff of our county. I used to tell everyone that there were two sons you would not want to be in a small Georgia town: the Sheriff's son and the Preacher's son.:D :D :D Everyone watched every move you made and, trust me, it would get back to our Dads (USUALLY BEFORE WE GOT HOME) if we misbehaved. And there would be Hell to pay.:eek: :eek:

As to spanking, some states still allow it and I'm sure some of the private schools do too, with the parents permission of course.

We used to make paddles in shop class for the Principal in High School. Of course, it didn't seem to act as too much of a deterrent though.:eek: :eek: :eek: OUCH!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :( :( :(

May God Bless,

Danny

Corporal punishment is verboten in New York State schools...

In fact, physical touching is just barely allowed and even then, a lot of teachers are reluctant to come into physical contact with students unless it's for safety reasons.

My son gets hugs from his kindergarten teacher. That's perfectly fine and I would encourage that kind of contact. It builds confidence in him and reinforces the supportive rule his teacher plays. Towards middle school though? It really should be up to the students who are beginning to make those kinds of decisions for themselves.

No one spanks my son, period.

Not unless you want me to return the "favor".... :eek:

Anybody who spanks my kid gets a spankin' from me. About the vast majority of issues, I preach tolerance, diversity, and compromise. Not on this one. Zero tolerance. She's turning out just fine, too.

Johnny Stephens said:
Anybody who spanks my kid gets a spankin' from me. About the vast majority of issues, I preach tolerance, diversity, and compromise. Not on this one. Zero tolerance. She's turning out just fine, too.
I agree, i never got spanked when i was a child neither at school or home and i turned out just fine, well kind of:D . I don't feel anybody should be able to spank your child

I am sure the school had his mother's permission. She is a disciplinarian and tight with the school staff on all levels. I didn't mean to start anything here - I just thought Austin's remark about his soul being owned by God and his body by his mother was interesting coming from a 9 yr old. My granddaughter learned of it from his teacher.

Not on my watch and not in my house

Not on my watch and not in my house

I'm with Johnny on this. How is the name of all that is good can we teach our children to resolve their differences without violence if we can't resolve our differences with them without violence?
Blanche

Hensylee -

Hensylee -

I understood that you were telling us a "funny" - it was very cute. I love that - will have to tell my sisters that one so they can use it on their kids.

Everyone is different in how they discipline their children. A swat on the butt probably never did any harm - kids need to be taught limits.

However, that said, IF Wayne and I were to adopt, I know I could never spank or hit my child - we have never hit our pets - it only makes them fear you and besides, I just can't do it!! It's not in me. BUT again, that said, I have never had a child and I have had friends tell me they push you to the limit at times and you have to walk away and count to 50! :)~

Again, to each his own and as long as discipline is carried out judiciously, the child will do fine.

That little great-grandson of yours sounds adorable Hensylee. :)

Christina L

I am so shocked thats allowed!!! I'm a teacher and we have (rightly) such very strict laws about how we can even handle children - how we can restrain them in certain situations etc. Am just so surprised that even now, some places will still allowed physical punishment for children.

On the other hand - cute comment from your great grandson though! And I do understand the way in which your post was intended - nothing at all against you. Just have isses with punishments such as that for children.

Love Emma (stepping down from soap box now!)
xxx

hensylee said:
I am sure the school had his mother's permission. She is a disciplinarian and tight with the school staff on all levels. I didn't mean to start anything here - I just thought Austin's remark about his soul being owned by God and his body by his mother was interesting coming from a 9 yr old. My granddaughter learned of it from his teacher.
Hensylee you didn't start anything, it's just for us folk in states where this is illegal, it set off alarm bells. ;)

Whacks

Whacks

I had my share growing up, both at home and at school. I'd say most were the wrong response, but I'm not against it. I would've spanked my nephews at least once had their parents not forbidden it. Your point, and the punchline were terrific!:D Happy Thanksgiving! Brian

BDMc said:
I had my share growing up, both at home and at school. I'd say most were the wrong response, but I'm not against it. I would've spanked my nephews at least once had their parents not forbidden it. Your point, and the punchline were terrific!:D Happy Thanksgiving! Brian

Not against it either. My step daughter got after my wife today for telling her son (our grandson) to not throw things. He threw a hardcover book at my wife, who is blind, which MOST people won't get away with. My step daughter did nothing, didn't talk to him, explain to him that grandma can't see and don't throw things toward her...so, I had to cool off a little. But, he's a very good three year old, but I know him and he knew better and deserved to be dealt with instead of winked at.

I guess this just struck a chord with me....I'll be quiet now.

I'm a high school teacher in a northern Kentucky school district, and we absolutely don't spank here. The difficult kids I work with are so difficult because they've been knocked around or have seen it in their household. I can't imagine how that would straighten them up; I'm guessing that would only make them worse.

Latest posts

Back