Auckland City Admissions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainbow

Hi all, I'm in Northland New Zealand. My husband was diagnosed with severe Aortic Stenosis last October. He had the angiogram and other pre-op tests about a month ago. We got a call saying we should plan to be in Auckland City hospital for a replacement in the first week of July (next week) but they couldn't give us an exact date. We are 2 hours drive from Auckland and have to organise accommodation for me, our son and daughter in law while he is in hospital but we can't book anything until we have a confirmed date. I hope they will let us know a date within the next day or two because it is stressful enough without having to worry about finding accom close to the hospital. They said he will be admitted the day before the surgery so my query is to anyone who has gone through this at Auckland City - what time do they usually want you there the day before? We are driving down from Whangarei so have to plan this out. Any tips would be most appreciated. Kia ora.

Hi Rainbow, welcome to a fellow kiwi.

I had my surgery in Christchurch which is an hours drive from where I live in Ashburton so can’t help too much, but I was admitted the day before I think it was 10am roughly, and then hurry up and wait like an airport. Was up at 6am for all the presurgery prep the following morning and then I went into theatre at 7.30am I think, the time went real fast.
A friends grandson had his 3rd avr a few weeks ago at Starship but I think they make things much easier for parents with accomodation provided, they travelled from Tepuke. Things not so good for adult spouses Im guessing.
Please give your husband my best wishes, and my best wishes to you also !

Hi Rainbow, welcome to a fellow kiwi.

I had my surgery in Christchurch which is an hours drive from where I live in Ashburton so can’t help too much, but I was admitted the day before I think it was 10am roughly, and then hurry up and wait like an airport. Was up at 6am for all the presurgery prep the following morning and then I went into theatre at 7.30am I think, the time went real fast.
A friends grandson had his 3rd avr a few weeks ago at Starship but I think they make things much easier for parents with accomodation provided, they travelled from Tepuke. Things not so good for adult spouses Im guessing.
Please give your husband my best wishes, and my best wishes to you also !
Thank you Warwick! If his time of arrival has to be 10am that's fine and we can drive down that morning. How did you find the journey home by car? We have been told he won't be able to fly so we will do the road trip. Given the bumpy roads in some places I was wondering how I can make sure he is as comfortable as possible on the way home.

Yep I know what you mean with the roads, I went home after 5 days so was still a bit shell shocked so don’t really remember much of the ride home, just discomfort not pain but had a cushion between chest and seat belt to hug.
Also the first night home when I tried laying down in bed to sleep was hell, I slept the first 3 weeks in a recliner chair, so perhaps something to consider. Its not a pleasant time but it quickly gets better and then fades into memory.

Yep I know what you mean with the roads, I went home after 5 days so was still a bit shell shocked so don’t really remember much of the ride home, just discomfort not pain but had a cushion between chest and seat belt to hug.
Also the first night home when I tried laying down in bed to sleep was hell, I slept the first 3 weeks in a recliner chair, so perhaps something to consider. Its not a pleasant time but it quickly gets better and then fades into memory.
Oh wow, yes a cushion for the seat belt. Wouldn't have thought of that so thank you. We have recliners so if laying down is hard he can sleep in one of those. Haha he sleeps in them now in front of the TV so he shouldn't have any problems! I'm also worried about him trying to do things too soon when we get home. If his chest is quite painful then that might prevent him from trying to do things he shouldn't. Not that I want him to be in pain, just scared he will do himself harm. How long before you were able to drive? That will be hard for him as he loves driving his cars.

You feel like youv been hit with a wrecking ball for the first few weeks so that should slow him down :)
I was working on my motorbike after 3-4 weeks albeit slowly, I wasnt told any driving restrictions persay as I had heard they took your licence but that never happened, It is meant to be 6 weeks no driving, I drove to my 6 week appointment to get clearance to drive 😜
As I understood it 6 weeks the sternums knitted but very weakly, so you have to take extra care for the first 3 months or so, I went back to work after 10 weeks as a heavy mechanic but that was my call, took it easy for several months.

He has to give his sternum the right amount of time to heal, thats a super important part of recovery, it was stressed to me you shouldnt compromise on the recovery time.
My uncle had bypass surgery 4 months before my op and he was still having problems 9 months later with it not knitting, he ended up with a plate screwed into the sternum. he had quite a bad cold a few weeks after his bypass which due to all the coughing and sneezing didnt help healing.
Coughing and sneezing are murder for several weeks after sternumotomy

Cardiollogy never put times, dates or restrictions on anything like I thought they would they just seem to let me set the pace.

Last edited:
Thank you Warwick! If his time of arrival has to be 10am that's fine and we can drive down that morning. How did you find the journey home by car? We have been told he won't be able to fly so we will do the road trip. Given the bumpy roads in some places I was wondering how I can make sure he is as comfortable as possible on the way home.
Why can’t he fly ? I flew home from Auckland to Napier no problem in fact the surgeon thought it was a better idea than driving.I had a bentals procedure which included the replacement of the aorta to the hemi arch
All the very best

Why can’t he fly ? I flew home from Auckland to Napier no problem in fact the surgeon thought it was a better idea than driving.I had a bentals procedure which included the replacement of the aorta to the hemi arch
All the very best
Why fly when they have a two hour drive to the hospital. Better to drive than fly, saves money and time. He will do fine riding home in the car.

All the very best
He will do fine riding home, bumps in the road is unavoidable in any country. He just has to keep a pillow close by and be in the back seat. Better for him not to wear a seatbelt on the trip home. He will do fine once the surgery is done and back home.

He can wrap the seatbelt over his shoulder. The cops will understand if you get pulled over. I held it away from my body with my hand. He'll be fine, if you drive carefully. I'm sure you'll be able to find accommodation, even if you have to organise it the day before.

I drove my ute at two weeks, and Pellicle told me off. No driving for six weeks.

You're not alone, you've got us. I'm happy to yell at him, if he does something silly. Been there, done that. Try not to fret.

Another member of our fellowship lives in Dunedin. She contacted me through this website because we had similar things happening: bicuspid aortic valve with stenosis. Mine was done almost 3 years ago and hers was 6 months later. She had some similar communications with New Zealand health. I will contact her and ask her to jump in and communicate with you.

Thank you all! It is a 25 minute flight in a prop plane but the road journey from the hospital to the airport can take 20 mins in traffic. I think it will be easier to drive and the suggestions about cushions and seat belts are very helpful.

Driving will be fine, & I found a folded towel far better than a cushion.
Does that go between the chest and the seatbelt? My car is quite low so now I'm wondering if he will be able to get in and out of it ok? Maybe I should take a cushion for him to sit on just in case?

Yes, between seatbelt & chest, not a huge towel & about 4 layers. Found the cushion I tried originally far too bulky. Used the towel for about 5 weeks as a passenger, but nothing when started driving after 6 weeks. Our car was also small & quite low, just had to careful getting in & out.

Finally they gave us a date! Well two dates really. Admission on the 8th and surgery on the 9th. Fingers crossed it doesn't get cancelled due to incoming emergencies - they warned us this could happen. Wow it's a bit scary really.

I will pray that the dates do not get changed good luck and keep in touch with us. Have a great week. Hugs to your whole family today.

Latest posts

Back