Atrial flutter/fibrillation & Palpitations /

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hello all, first time poster. A bit of history first. I am a 30yr old male from Newcastle, Australia. Underwent a 'switch' operation (transposition of the great vessels) at 2 weeks of age. Lived an active life, played football, golf, cricket. Got into powerlifting etc. No issues until last year. Started getting quite severe palpitations and atrial flutters that would last hours (the longest palpitation I recorded was 8 hours and what I believe to be flutters (less intense) was around 18hrs.) Testing revealed that I have a leaky valve with moderate/severe regurgitation. I am seeing a surgeon next week, however my palpitations have eased a lot thanks to Sotalol. I was originally on Metoprolol but this didn't really help anything. My question is (and this is just because I'm curious as I don't actually know anyone who's had these types of problems) has/did anyone experience issues such as mine pre op. and did they correct themselves after surgery. My cardiologist mentioned that I may have them after surgery and their may be additional things to do to fix them. I'm interested to hear about your experiences.

Welcome ! I am really interested in following this post as lm look for same feed back.
I personally had this same sort of problem for 3 yrs pre op and now at 5 weeks post op experiencing more of same but maybe even more intense.
Best of luck .. for me seems the longer lm around the less l know.

Ive had palpitations for years, and a few episodes of fib where i had to be cardioverted. My aortic valve was replaced (mechanical) 6 months ago. Since my surgery I still have an occasional flutter or skipped beat once in a while but its far less often or severe than prior to my surgery. Im hoping it continues to improve. Right after surgery my heartbeat was rather rapid for the first few months, my resting heart rate was around 90-100 ppm and very heavily pounded. Now since then Ive done cardiac rehab and continue to exercise regularly on my own. Things have settled down quite a bit Im glad to say. My resting heart rate is now about 65bpm, very calm and quiet, and I have far fewer palpitations. My heart was slightly enlarged so I like to think things are reshaping back to more normal and hoping Ill continue to improve. Im feeling great!

I was wondering about the fast heart rate after surgery. Forgot to mention that to my cardio cause he did not seem worried. Glad to see that your experience show that it is getting back to normal over time.

JulienDu;n862516 said:
I was wondering about the fast heart rate after surgery. Forgot to mention that to my cardio cause he did not seem worried. Glad to see that your experience show that it is getting back to normal over time.

yeah i was rather nervous about it while it was happening... same thing for me, nobody was too concerned so i wasn't sure what to expect if that was going to be the new normal. it kinda scared me... but things are sooo much better now. Im very happy to be feeling so good!

I actually get scared. l actually crawled into bed with my nitro last night. Glad to read your post Almost_hectic and that your feeling good.

I would make sure the diet side is covered first, that can make a big difference. Stay hydrated, take lots of magnesium (2000mg, bisglycinate or citrate before bed), have some foods with potassium, and adequate sodium. If you're taking a decent dose of Lasix, the electrolytes are getting washed away (which can also be life threatening).

Other people also use taurine and arginine for palpitations http://www.drjanson.com/djhl-html/2010/news-2010-03.html

I wasn't instructed or ordered to take any of those things Almost_hectic when l was still in hospital they would give me these cocktails of magnesium and iron along with vitamin D 4000 units a day .. and gave me instructions for vitamin D but not the others although the pharmaceutical company at the hospital thought it strange. 😕

Medical doctors usually have little or no knowledge about nutrition. But my doctor is also an athlete around the same age as me, and we can bounce ideas off each other without all the misinformation.

Post surgery, after a lasix dose was increased (and subsequently dropping 25lbs of water), my heart went out of sinus rhythm after a session on the treadmill. I took care of the problem myself (lots of bananas, magnesium etc). Heart went back into sinus rhythm. Point is, sometimes you have to think for yourself if you want results.

It also depends on everyone bloodwork, deficiency and physical shape. For me what matter is excercise and proper diet, the rest is secondary and case by case not a general rule. And I already had one OHS (2 now I guess ), lots of fever and got hurt badly in my job or in the bush few times. Never been a fan of Vitamins for now.

(I AM A NOT DOCTOR, personal conviction)

JulienDu and MethodAir l appriciate the input. If lm relying on thinking for myself when it comes to nutrition and vitamins minerals etc. I will fail miserable as this is not my area of expertise. I have never been a vitamin taker ever so l'm kinda screwed here. So l need to rely on others experience and education as l don't know what any of those things do for the body or the heart.
Thx for sharing your experience and knowledge!

Just thought ld mention l also lost 22 plus lbs of water retention or fluid post surgery with the help of Lasix.before I left the hospital. And since hospital l have lost 13.64 lbs. I believe lm eating healthy although l force myself to eat because of nausea. I was also not prescribed Lasix on leaving the hospital not even on the med list. I had some at home from sometime ago but took some when l got home because of the plural effusion. Ate you all on Lasix on a regular basis. I mean how does one know what they should be take or not. ???

JulienDu;n862530 said:
It also depends on everyone bloodwork, deficiency and physical shape. For me what matter is excercise and proper diet, the rest is secondary and case by case not a general rule. And I already had one OHS (2 now I guess ), lots of fever and got hurt badly in my job or in the bush few times. Never been a fan of Vitamins for now.

(I AM A NOT DOCTOR, personal conviction)

Bodies under stress burn through a lot more magnesium than they might be getting from food. I've heard of pregnant women receiving 6000mg of magnesium intravenously every 15 minutes for uterine contractions. It also works synergistically with Vitamin D (which most people in Canada are deficient in).

MethodAir;n862535 said:
There are medical uses for magnesium for instance that far exceed anything you can get from food (eg pregnant women receiving 6000mg magnesium intravenously every 15 minutes during pregnancy). It also works synergistically with Vitamin D (which most people in Canada are deficient in).

My wife had 2 perfects pregnancies. 0 sickness or nausea and 0 issues apart from being more hungry than usual and tired earlier, she worked part time until 7-8 months. She did not take any vitamins. She gave birth at home twice with 0 pain killer ( no epidural ) and 0 issue, to 2 healthy babies. And she breast fed for almost a year and half with 0 vitamins intake. Like I say, I believe the use of those vitamins should not be generalized, just case by case.

Lol l can promise you l never received magnesium in those doses or intervenously during my pregnancy ever.
I was given vitamin D 4000units per day at hospital and upon discharge. First time in my 55 yrs have l ever taken vitamin D however was not given magnesium. . How does anyone know to take it when your your not familiar or educated or lived in an era which includes living that lifestyle 🙆

harrietW;n862534 said:
Just thought ld mention l also lost 22 plus lbs of water retention or fluid post surgery with the help of Lasix.before I left the hospital. And since hospital l have lost 13.64 lbs. I believe lm eating healthy although l force myself to eat because of nausea. I was also not prescribed Lasix on leaving the hospital not even on the med list. I had some at home from sometime ago but took some when l got home because of the plural effusion. Ate you all on Lasix on a regular basis. I mean how does one know what they should be take or not. ???

I personally had a very steady pulse after surgery. And my resting heart rate was in the 40s a few months after surgery. On the rare occasion I did get palpitations, I set out to relax the heart with magnesium and potassium. If that didn't work, then I would take a small amount of beta blocker (Bisoprolol 1.25mgs).

here's a completely newbie question about resting heart rate...

i've heard conflicting things about what is really resting heart rate. on one hand i've heard it's the heart rate you have first thing in the morning while in bed. in other words, take your pulse right when you wake up. others have said resting heart rate can be taken after sitting for 5 minutes. i don't know about you guys but my heart rate is roughly 90-100 once i get up, say after the shower or so and won't settle down to the 70's until i'm resting in bed for the night. only then is my heart rate in the high 60's to low 70's.

my cardio says it'll get better once i recondition myself with the cardiac rehab and time.

OK so l've heard best or rest is at 5 min. Mine is averaging 78/66 pulse at 80❤ but as low as 68/61 or less 78 pulse ❤
The second l move l jump to 90 -100/90 121 pulse ❤

Back