At least I got to see the Air Ambulance !

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libra rising

My admission at Harefield was scheduled for Tuesday May 1st. A phone call on Monday April 30th informed me my bed was not available, and I should come in on Thursday May 3rd instead.
A phone call at 2 pm is still needed to confirm a pre-op bed availability. I rang at 2 and was told that, at that time, no bed was available but that the Bed Manager would get back to me. A call at 2.43 said a bed was available, and we journeyed in for 4 pm.
The consultant's co-surgeon, at around 7 pm came to talk through the procedure and warned that emergencies can always bump people off the list.
The following morning (today) the surgeon and his team came visiting, informing me that no bed in ICU was currently available but he was doing his best to get one. Some 90 minutes later someone came to tell me my operation was being cancelled, due to an emergency heart transplant, and the Bed Manager would come to see me. I've been re-scheduled for May 29th admission, but I'm hopeful of being offered a cancellation, which is more likely since I'm not on blood thinners.
A 2 pm pick-up was arranged, and after lunch I took a walk in the hospital grounds, picked up a Bernard Cornwell book in the restaurant (for free, ex-library), and sat on a bench to read and look out for my pick-up.
Whilst sat there an Air Ambulance arrived, which was quite exciting, as we weren't too far from the helipad. The excitement compensated for my disappointment.

The UK is now getting some nice settled weather at last. I'm gratetful to be home enjoying it rather than looking through a hospital window. Swings and roundabouts. Que sera sera.
Geoff

Sorry to hear your surgery was cancelled Geoff. It must be very frustrating for you and your family not knowing where you are from one day to the next. But enjoy the lovely weather !

Oh my. How unsettling. And like Paleowoman, I’m sorry to hear that as well, Geoff.
Lovely that you strolled the grounds afterwards and relaxed on a bench with a book.
Seems likely you’ll get called in again before the 29th. Keep us updated.

For now, enjoy the weekend’s sun and the Bernard Cornwelll!

Hi
libra rising;n883176 said:
My admission at Harefield was scheduled for Tuesday May 1st. A phone call on Monday April 30th informed me my bed was not available, and I should come in on Thursday May 3rd instead.
The UK is now getting some nice settled weather at last. I'm gratetful to be home enjoying it rather than looking through a hospital window. Swings and roundabouts. Que sera sera.
Geoff

bumped ... that's a bugger.

Well soak up the weather while its good ... might last another day knowing the UK.

Sending Sunshine From Australia

37469668332_7859164de0_b.jpg

(the start of the road down the range from my place towards Boonah)

Best Wishes.

libra rising;n883176 said:
I've been re-scheduled for May 29th admission, but I'm hopeful of being offered a cancellation, which is more likely since I'm not on blood thinners./QUOTE]

I got a phone call yesterday from Harefield, offering me a cancellation - Thursday 17th admission for Friday 18th op.
Getting excited again. I'm asking everyone to cross their fingers this time round !

Geoff

Geoff - I can’t imagine the mental upheaval of being all ready, at the hospital and then being told to go home and wait for a call. I hear that is not all that uncommon in the U.K., but nonetheless, it is stressful.

Here’s hoping that the next time is the charm.

We’ll be here waiting for the “all done” messages.

Thank you everyone for your good wishes. I have been offered a cancellation - go in TODAY for op tomorrow. I still have to ring at 2 pm to confirm bed availability.
I'm hoping now that my next post will be from the other side !

Geoff

I'm on the list at harefield as well! Still waiting for my pre-op assessment. If the dates are any guide you might even be in surgery right now. Best of luck and I look forward to hearing from you on the other side!

Just like Jack Nicholson's character in The Shining - I'm back !

Bumped again. This time got to 12.30 pm, and awaiting my wheeling down to theatre, the Bed Manager appears and informs me I'm going home :Face-Angry:
What the actual .... !!
It appears the first operation overran, and there wouldn't be time.
The silver lining (I'm good at spotting those) is that I'm back in Monday (21st) and FIRST ON THE LIST for Tuesday.

Please double cross your fingers and toes for me this time
:Face-Cool:
Still smiling (just )

​​​​​​​Geoff

This must be another day in the office for them. Hell, what an emotional roller-coaster for you though. I can only imagine what it would have been like for me. I would be soooo pissed off and frustrated. But no long-term harm.

Like the above groovers, I'll be crossing all my appendages.

Latest posts

Back