Aspirin side effects...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeelover

Has anyone with mech.valve had trouble with stomach issues due to warfarin and aspirin combo? I had to put aspirin on hold due to gastritis....anyone had experience with this and how long before you could start aspirin again.advise ? Thanks!

coffeelover;n877090 said:
Has anyone with mech.valve had trouble with stomach issues due to warfarin and aspirin combo? I had to put aspirin on hold due to gastritis....anyone had experience with this and how long before you could start aspirin again.advise ? Thanks!

I had a lot of problems with heartburn early on taking aspirin, the drs solution was to take another drug to cover the effects of that drug. Now I just try and take it at the same time as eating my evening meal and I don't have too many issues.
Occasionally I have to reach for the antacids. I'm not sure how long you would wait but I don't think it would be long as the lining of your stomach is constantly replaced.
Just my opinion not a medical one but you can google it- apparantly a kiwi fruit a day will do the same as daily low dose aspirin

Which type of aspirin are you taking? The regular aspirin tablets may be dissolving too early in your digestive tract, leading to inflammation and problems. You should be taking the "enteric" aspirin tabs, which are coated to delay their dissolving until they are in the stomach. Supposed to be fewer side effects with them.

I did have issues when I first started taking 81mg of aspirin, I now take it about 20min after supper and have had no issues since.

I take the 81mg enteric coated aspirin at bedtime and have had no troubles. Enteric coated, full strength aspirins may help, as epstns reported, but you should be careful with aspirin or other NSAIDs. Although its effects don't show up on INR testing, aspirin makes the platelets less 'sticky' and can cause more bleeding. If aspirin is irritating your stomach, and causes bleeding, and you take Warfarin, you could be looking at some issues with stomach bleeding that doesn't stop quickly.

Personally, I'd probably stay away from aspirin if it irritated my stomach.

Thank you everyone for sharing! ...I have been on the enteric coated aspirin since AVR in 2012. I tolerated it OK til recently. The suggestions about taking it with supper sounds lIke something I should try.(I was taking it in the morning).
thanks again for the advise!

Latest posts

Back