Aspirin in conjunction with Warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

pellicle

Professional Dingbat, Guru and Merkintologist
Thank you very much for the scientific knowledge you offer us.
A friend of mine used to say, <<For example, while stitching technique for sutures is an art learned through practice, the knowledge of what happens at the cellular and molecular level in the tissues being stitched arises through science.>>.
and today it happened and I read it here too
I liked the wording of that Wikipedia entry, particularly this resonated

Medicine has been practiced since prehistoric times, and for most of this time it was an art (an area of skill and knowledge)​
I believe I have lived through the transition from more art than science to more science than art.

Protimenow

81mg Bayer aspirin is much more expensive than other "baby" asprin, at least in our neck of the woods, so my wife buys the lowest price aspirin, as long as it's enteric coated. My wife's target INR is 2.5-3.5 for mechanical AV and MV's and takes a baby aspirin daily.
I buy the 81 mg Enteric coated aspirin at Costco for about a penny each.

ALSO - personally I DO NOT modify my target INR because I take the 81 mg Aspirin. I would rather coagulate a bit more slowly than gamble with a reduction in my INR and risk having a stroke (I know - I had one because I had a bad meter tell me that my INR was 2.6 when it was actually 1.7).

Protimenow

Our meters measure prothrombin time (the time it takes for a clot to form) AND INR. To calculate the INR, the clotting time is divided by a value for the reagent used to make the test.
Vitdoc - can we use the prothrombin time as a more accurate measure of our level of anticoagulation, because this would include the effects of aspirin?

Would this, perhaps, be a better measure than a calculated INR?

Protimenow

you wouldn't be the first I've heard have a stroke on that INR
No, I wouldn't. It may have been for the best, perhaps, because I took it on myself to test a wide variety of meters, comparing results to other meters and to lab tests. In my research, I also found that some labs were making significant errors.

My initial conclusion - that the Coag-Sense was the one that I had most confidence in - has dropped. Over the last few years, the results were USUALLY below lab results (by as much as a whole point), and almost always below the CoaguChek XS when the reported INR was above 3 or so.

I use the XS for most of my tests - it IS somewhat easier to use, it is widely used with few reports of problems because of inaccuracy, and is an overwhelming standard,.

Unicusp

No, I wouldn't. It may have been for the best, perhaps, because I took it on myself to test a wide variety of meters, comparing results to other meters and to lab tests. In my research, I also found that some labs were making significant errors.

My initial conclusion - that the Coag-Sense was the one that I had most confidence in - has dropped. Over the last few years, the results were USUALLY below lab results (by as much as a whole point), and almost always below the CoaguChek XS when the reported INR was above 3 or so.

I use the XS for most of my tests - it IS somewhat easier to use, it is widely used with few reports of problems because of inaccuracy, and is an overwhelming standard,.
So, in the above you state that Labs have made errors and you've experienced significant differences in results between the two meters. How do you conclude that the reading on the XS is correct and that the reading on the Coag-Sense is inaccurate? I'm curious because I rely upon the Coag-Sense. Thanks!

Unicusp

ALSO - personally I DO NOT modify my target INR because I take the 81 mg Aspirin. I would rather coagulate a bit more slowly than gamble with a reduction in my INR and risk having a stroke (I know - I had one because I had a bad meter tell me that my INR was 2.6 when it was actually 1.7).

I have not seen it at Costco lately so I buy mine at Sam's Club. .006 per tablet.

Bayer is $18.99 for 400 tablets. Crazy. 8x more expensive for the same product.

1675174207720.png

carolinemc

I get a generic brand that is just fine for me. It is 81 mg and does not harm my INR.