As some people here know I am a bit neverous

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tnboomer1013

Hi everyone,

As like I said some people here know what I am in for. We know each other from Webmd. I have a surgery date for the 17th of July At Vanderbilt U. I am going to have a Ross done and 2 bypasses to fix a arterial birth defect. This looks like to me a major operation that alone would unnerve anyone but I am really worried about the quality of life after. I am in heavy industrial construction and am worried that I will be able to do what I am doing now or not? Thank you for listening.

BOOMER

Hi Boomer!!

So good to see you post on here! There are some fine people here, and you can be sure that you will be in our thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery and a full speedy recovery!

There are several here that have also had the Ross Procedure. I will be in Los Angeles working during the week of your surgery, but should be back in time to check in and say hello to you at the hospital. Please drop me a note on my E-mail so that I can find out more details of your surgery date. Also, is there anyone you can ask to sign onto the board here and provide us with a update of how you are doing after surgery?

Wishing you the best,

Rob

Hi Boomer-

Welcome to the new Valvereplacement boards. My husband Joe is going to have surgery July 18. It will be his third heart surgery. He's going to have his mechanical mitral valve replaced and possibly his own tricuspid. So you have a surgery buddy. In addition to that he has an aortic valve replacement which is OK, and a pacemaker.

I'm sure the good people here can help you out with your particular questions.

I wish you all the best.

Nancy

Boomer - Glad to see you post at this site. First, I want to wish you the best of luck with surgery. It is truly a big step, but as most everyone will tell you, getting there is the hardest part. I was wondering about your concern about the heavy construction. I would guess you will be better as far as being tired. Lifting, of course would be a concern. Several here are better qualified than me tell about that. You might want to describe an example of your daily activity for comment.

Hey Boomer - welcome to our house! We are glad to have you among us. There is all the support you want here. I had quad bypass so can't address valve replacements, but the going in surgery and coming out surgery is the same. We will walk along with you and hang onto your hand all the way to that big old mountain and answer any questions you might have, from what to take to the hosp, what to wear home, what to expect while in the hospital and when you get out. As you can see there's a whole bunch of us who have all had THE BIG SURGERY and we are everyone better for it. Our life is better and I am of the opinion that we have received our own personal miracle. Ask anything you need and there will be answers. God bless

Boomer! Good to see you here! I know nothing (as you know) about the Ross Procedure... but many others do. Hope they can answer your questions and put your mind at ease!

Once again, glad to see you bud!!!!!

Take care,
Zazzy

Hi TNBoomer! Are you a Vol? Well, I am a Gator but don't hold that against me! Where in East TN are you located? I have la number of friends in Chattanooga, Knoxville, and Nashville. Anyway, I had valve replacement surgery 2-1/2 years ago with St. Judes mechanical. All things considered, it went very well, and I am sure yours will as well. It is a big step, but one necessary for life sometimes thus worth it in the long run, the anxieties and so forth in the short run. I don't know much about the Ross other than a few technical things, but many who have had it swear by it. I opted for the mechanical for 2 reasons: the main one was shorter time duration on the heart-lung machine and the other was to hopefully avoid another surgery. But it is a personal choice. Be sure to come here often as there are so many experienced in so many different facets of valve problems, and everyone is always ready to "be there" when necessary! Good luck and keep us posted! Susan:cool:

Boomer,

Assuming your surgery is a success, which most are, your quality of life should be better than now. With the Ross Procedure, you will not be limited in your activities after your recovery. Ben is on this site and I belive had the Ross last year and has been pumping iron again for some time now. There is also a great Ross Procedure site you can visit, through St. John's maelstrom. It's easy to find on the web. Good luck and Godspeed.

Boomer,
Wow I was born at St Thomas in Nashville, I'm 40 and having the Ross done 7/25 here in Dallas. Vandy is a great hospital. From what I can tell we should feel so much better after the procedure and the chest healing. I've read some issues regarding some jobs but overall it's been very positive. I would however, ask your doctor so you can be prepared. I've been told no restrictions.

Good Luck and we can be nervous together. I just want to get it over..the wait is awlful.

Take Care
Leslie

Leslie, that wait may be, like you say, the worst of all. Once you get the show on the road, at least you are busy with getting well and life becomes GOOD. God bless

Back