Arrythmias

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solar Rays

I was supposed to be on blood thinners for 3 months after my mitral valve repair which was successful and Im feeling great. I had 1 AFib event 3 weeks after surgery. Also I have arrythmias that last a few seconds that were detected by wearing a cardiac event device for a month. I was in cardiac rehab and no arrythmias were ever detected. Now I have to be on blood thinners continually. I read that this is common after heart surgery. Has anyone else experienced this?

"Heart surgery" is a generic term, I gather you mean valve replacement surgery. You can be on anticoagulants due to the type of valve you were given or due to the Afib. It is common practice to be on anticoagulants after valve replacement surgery, irrespective of the type of valve. If you have a mechanical valve, you will be on anticoagulants for life. If you have a tissue valve, most people go off anticoagulants after a few months. For Afib and arrythmia, anticouglants are given, but there are other treatment options (e.g. ablation for Afib) as well.

What did your cardiologist say was the reason to stay on anticoagulants?

I had mitral valve repair. Arrythmias are paroxymal atrial tachycardia lasting seconds. A couple of a fibs in 6 months. I was told you can have a clot form so blood thinners are recommended. I wonder if the arrythmias will disappear with time.
r

Being on blood thinners is mandatory and permanent for people with mechanical valves, to help ensure clots do not form on the valve surfaces, and can be temporary for those with tissue valves in the period after surgery. But my mother, who had a tissue valve inserted about 7 or 8 years ago, has been on blood thinners permanently because of the risks of a-fib as you say. Initially she was on Warfarin (Coumadin) but for the last two years or so she has been on Apixiban - a 'novel anticoagulant' that does not need the regular monitoring that Warfarin requires. So I am not surprised you have been prescribed them following a valve repair.

Are you worried about this?

I had a mechanical MVR replacement 6 months ago due to endocarditis. Leading up to the surgery I had small bouts of AFIB and some significant A-flutter. After surgery, the flutter continued and I had frequent PVCs.

At about 3 months after surgery, I had ablation for the flutter and that ended both the flutter and PVCs. My rhythm is very steady now.

Of course with my mechanical valve, I’m on an ACT.

Lots of good points. But to take @LondonAndy s last point, there's no need to be anxious about being on AC therapy. I personally don't like the term blood thinners, as it just seems to make people feel like it's bad (when it isn't).

Was there something bothering you about this?

I had mitral valve repair. Arrythmias are paroxymal atrial tachycardia lasting seconds. A couple of a fibs in 6 months. I was told you can have a clot form so blood thinners are recommended. I wonder if the arrythmias will disappear with time.
r

A quick search on paroxymal atrial tachycardia shows that there are treatments for the condition other than anticoagulants. Many hits don't mention anticoagulants as part of the treatment. You may want to do a search and ask some questions of your cardiologist or their nurse.

Reactions: Eva
I had pulmonic valve replacement i feel better but still have lots of tachycardia episodes I’ve had 3 surgeries to repair tetralogy
How long does the tach last ?

The anticoagulants are not used to "treat" the arrhythmia. They are used to reduce the chances of blood clots being formed in case another arrhythmia occurs.

When I discuss my pacemaker interrogation reports and the rhythm issues it reports, my electrophysiologist says she is not going to worry (or prescribe warfarin) until the event reaches about 4 hours duration. She says the research shows that arrhythmia's of lesser duration don't cause clotting of clinical significance.

Latest posts

Back