Arnold Schwarzenegger - Thoughts

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the reality is that whether its a Ross, mechanical valve, valve repair, or tissue valve, we can find examples of failed procedures or equipment. Once they start opening you up things can happen. I even know of someone that died during a vascetomy. Ouch!

Ooooh. Nasty. A fatal vascectomy...

Not for the faint-hearted:

A good friend's brother-in-law died on the table getting a cardiac cath done. Apparently damaged the blood vessel and he beld to death internally. Does that happen often? No. About 1 in 1,000.
It's like getting run over by a garbage truck. It happens, but it isn't very likely.

It's still probably safer than driving to work.

And yet, I'd prefer the driving anyway...

what i've heard

what i've heard

Here's what I know about Arnold S. and this is just what my pediatric cardiologist and his nurse told me a few years back.

That AS originally needed valve replacement b/c he was body building and doing to many of the weight lifting that it is suggested valve patients not do.

So who knows interesting none the less I guess.

Erica

I find it difficult to understand why there is still so many different opinions from the medical community pertaining to weight lifting post operation. Although I never approached weight lifting to the extent of body building like Arnold has, I have lifted weights since I was 15 for sports-related training. I started lifting again four months after my surgery and I feel fine when performing the exercises. Although I don't "max-out" or lift to failure anymore, I still think the benefits, outweigh any perceived risks. My cardiologist is OK with it and when I asked him directly last week during my 6-month post-op session, he told me there is no risk to the heart or the valve in peforming such exercises. He did indicate, as with any physical activity, moderation is the best approach, with which I agree 100%.

My cardiologist also had no problems with my lifting weights, without restriction. He said he had a number of vr patients who lifted.

However, my surgeon said keep it under 75lbs. He said there is a division of opinion among surgeons whether the steep buildup of blood pressure while lifting can cause seams, etc. to work loose and his advice was to limit lifting. With all due respect to my cardiologist, I figured it is best to follow the surgeon's advice. So I have, difficult as that can be.

You may want to check with your surgeon.

My vr was done in my late 40s and I was very active most of my life and I lifted weights a fair amount, so 75 lbs doesn't seem like a lot. However, it doesn't seem worth it to risk going back for another surgery years early.

I've heard the 75 lb target before, however it only confuses me more. A 75 lb bench press is very light whereas a 75 lb bicep curl or shoulder press is more stenuous.

I enjoy the benefits of lifting, however I have reduced my workouts to two per week. When I was younger, I used to lift 5 days per week and the only reason I didn't lift more was because I was afraid to overtrain. Again, not for bodybuilding like Arnold, but for sports-related training.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to talk with my surgeon directly during my post-op meeting as he had an emergency surgery so I spoke with his resident surgeon. Perhaps I should call and ask.

Arnold was on the Tonight Show last night (3/24) and he looked to be in great shape. He still looks as though he works out.

My thoughts

My thoughts

I have to agree (for the most part) with Mara.
The largest factor in the success of and RP is simply if you are the right candidate & secondly....(maybe tied for first) is the quality of the surgeon.

Just because a surgeon is fantastic at repairs or replacements does in no way make him/her a candidate for being fluent in performing the Ross Procedure.

I am 3.5 year post RP and when I went to my last check up, my cardio informed me that my surgeon and he are writing a paper concerning the different types of procedures and their recommendations on the type of procedure for each type & lifestyle of patients encountered. I was asked if they could use me for the example of a successfully Ross.

Every person has to make this choice them self. No surgeon can or should make it for you, unless of course it is life or death as Ross' & Robthatsme's cases.

With me, the unfounded fear of coumaden as well as stories such as Billy's wifes (recalled valves) and almost a guarantee that an aortic homograph would require me to have a re-op, being I was 27 at the time of surgery.

Hey only God knows if the lucky few of us that had the choice made the right one.

We should be glad that we had the opportunity to choose.......alot of folks don't get that luxury.

Enough from me.

Ben

Just to add to the discussion my surgeon and cardiologist both ok'd weight lifting, the sole prohibition being certain heavy power lifting moves, such as the clean and jerk (which I do not do) because the elevation in BP has resulted in strokes and other complications in middle age adults Nothing was said about my chest or the valve repair. In addition, I am also cleared to return to Judo. Go figure.

My experience is similar to Ben Smith's. I am also 3 1/2 years post Ross Procedure and feeling good. I was 52 when I had surgery. I also had my aorta replaced, I believe I was told not to hold my breath and strain pushing something like a car because of the aorta. Other than that I got no restrictions except no bike riding outside for 4 months.

Nocturne;n877833 said:
Huh. Where are all of these people today?
Unfortunately a lot of people leave the forum, and other fora, when they've had their surgery or whatever. It's a great shame becasue if people stick aound they can give their experiences and support to others going through similar procedures.

Latest posts

Back