Are you more religious?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Ross

Thanks Ross

This is great that you made the ugly in this thread disappear. :eek: Now others can share with us. :) I have read the posts here over and over again, I have enjoyed the heart felt stories and put up with the bad. Thanks Ross. You have had alot more Patience than I do.

Well, I've been gone for two days and look what happens!
I started this thread because I found myself craving a spiritual connection after my surgery. I am not a "church" person- I just haven't had positive experiences. But I believe that God is in nature, the trees, the animals, the creek. So I spend alot of time outside.
I just think it's interesting. Anyway, during my recovery I was having a "bad" day, feeling a little pity for poor me, when Oprah came on (I know, laugh if you may). Anyway, the whole show was on something called "the secret". Call it whatever you want, the idea is: positive things/feelings bring positive things/feelings-the law of attraction. It totally changed my focus.
I think that we all need to stay positive and know that obviously we are going to be ok (different, but ok). We wouldn't have found this website, or found the right doctor, or had our condition diagnosed in time, or had symptoms to know something was wrong, if we weren't going to be ok.
I find myself very thankful these days. It makes me happy and I think my surgery helped me see what I was missing. :)

I'm sort of lost. I believe in God and I beleive I'm here for a reason, but at the sametime, I'm bitter that I'm here in the condition I'm in. I feel more like I'm being tortured then to be here to fulfill some specific God set goal. I have a real good idea what Job felt like. I just wish I had his patience with things. Mine are growing very short, very fast.

More religious? More faithful? More @ peace?

Thanks so much for starting this thread. This is a subject I've often thought about asking you all, but was reluctant because religion is such a personal, private issue. But we all have a caring relationship here @VR, with each other and I think that relationship merits discussion of most everything, religion included.

After 2 OHSs, I am most definately closer to my Lord. I've had my share of unfortunate events in my life, but I see each as God's way of molding me into what He wants me to be, what He wants to accomplish through me. We all have spiritual markers ( or as Dr. Phil would say- defining moments) in our lives. How we respond to those events and the choices we make, shape our character and our relationship with God. I find that keeping a journal and writing things on paper helps me to see and realize those spiritual markers or defining moments. I've made a list beginning with my grandparents and my parents lives and the influences they had on my life. My father had a near death experience when he was only 15 years old which really had an impact on his life and future generations. (I would be glad to share that story with anyone interested). Then the list continues with events in my life that required making choices. I have found that we can learn how to see things through God's perspective rather than through our own by looking back in our past.

I also feel that everything happens for a purpose. We are only here on this earth for few years compared to the reward He has planned for us in heaven.
We just have to believe, trust, and obey. Hardships will occur because we are human. Often, we won't understand why bad things happen to good people. But the wonderful thing about being a believer is that one day, when we do make it to heaven, we can ask God why. He will tell us and then, it will all make sense.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's stories, thank you for sharing your thoughts and beliefs. Please know that you are all in my prayers. I love you all, but more importantly, GOD LOVES YOU!! Gail

I've been on a spiritual path since age 33 when a lot of stuff came to a head--1st health issues, 1st girlfriend/break up and last pet from childhood died....Lately I have been seeking a lot of the Law of Attraction type people via you tube

Its Easter for us in Australia and I wanted to reflect my thoughts on Belief in God in the context of my personal journey.

When i was 20 I did not have any faith or belief in God and was happy living life on my own terms. I believed that life is what you make it but as my own perspective was very short sighted i was making a lot of unnecessary errors which i later paid the price for.
I was on a waiting list for 1 year to have OHS for a resection of my subaortic membrane. During this wait i was questioning all my actions and what would be "left" of me on this earth. I was a consumer by nature and at that time i had no responsibilities expect a relatively stable job. No ambitions or plans for the future. I lost 15 kgs in pure stress leading up to the operation and was under 50kgs. Not a picture of health at all..
One thing i learned at that time was that life was precious, our time is not forever and i am not the superman i thought i was..
I had the surgery and embarked on a new me. i had a shift after the surgery and i do believe it started on my recovery journey where i had a encounter with faith and belief in Jesus.

I was changing my life to have reason and i met an amazing woman (now my wife), started studying, quit my job and looked for a better one which i eventually stepped into a management role early and started raising a family..
Now 11 years on and i am faced with another OHS and i can feel the difference this time.
There is comfort to be able to place my burden on His shoulders and rest in comfort that it will be ok. Do i get scared, yes, have freak out days, yes and become "emotionally compromised", yes.. but i am handling it much better and am aware of things around me i wasnt before.

You can have your own way to see the world and i respect that. My journey was and is one that i will credit to Jesus and if that helps someone then it was worth it..

Back in 96 I finally started going to church. Because I was going through some Life Changes. Here in Bangkok I've been going to synagogue not because I feel any connection to the Old Testament or Jewish teachings but just because I want to be around a lot of other intelligent wise expats here in Thailand because I like the rabbis teaching. In-between those 25 years I've been in the everything from Buddhism to the law of attraction to Hinduism to meditation to yoga to tie feed anything in between most of the time it hasn't helped and I'd rather have it and not have it lately I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos a lot of Eckhart Tolle a lot of Law of Attraction a lot of healing videos. Since I haven't had heart surgery or any surgery in 50 years I'm still hoping for some miraculous healing to various parts of my body. Part of my daily meditation practices visualizing my body healing I'm also looking for healing from depression anxiety worry and low self-esteem. I recently bought a Dale Carnegie book about worry. I've literally read dozens of books about psychology and spirituality have been in all kinds of meditation and helping healing Retreat over the years. I spent a lot of time here at Buddhist temples in Thailand meditating and praying. There's a lot of evidence that shows people live longer healthier lives who attend to their spiritual side versus those who ignore it.

I recommend listening to The Law of Attraction the secret all that stuff even though it's probably a bunch of pseudoscience and Bs. There's now tons of beautiful healing videos on YouTube specifically about healing your body. Like I said I also do a meditation practice where I start out with a body scan that I check in with all six senses including balance then I go into a shortbread color breathing meditation that I feel like my body is being breathed that's an Eckhart Tolle thing.. the last part of my meditation is where I visualize all parts of my body that I'm having trouble with being healed and healthy and functioning normally sometimes I do it a junk dip that I learned from a Tibetan Buddhist monk back in San Francisco about breathing out black smoke from areas of my body that I'm struggling with and breathing in white smoke and white light and healing everything whether it's my foot ears my heart any part of my body that I'm struggling with I visualize being whole and functioning normally. You might want to look up a fellow named Mitchell May who I found out about in 1997 when I started having problems with my hearing and ringing of the ears. I still think it's possible to completely heal your body without surgery or intervention. Of course if the day comes that I do need surgery I'll wholeheartedly embrace it. But I'm praying and visualizing for a complete healing of my body at every level. Of course I expect to die and get super old at some point but I'm thinking maybe I'll live to be over a hundred and end up being really healthy. Maybe that's just a crazy optimistic part of me.

What a great thread. Thanks, Michelle.

Can't say that I'm more religious. I do feel very, very blessed, or lucky, or whatever, to have gone through my surgery in exactly the way it happened.

I don't think I prayed more before my surgery, I don't pray much anyway, except at meals. There are so many hungry people in this country and in the world that I'm very "religious" about giving thanks for the bounty of food that is so easy to take for granted.

When I do pray, it's very spontaneous, and very simple. Again, usually a "thank you" for many blessings, or a prayer for someone from this group, or my family or friends.

I can't explain the power of prayer, of course. It does seem a bit absurd on the face that the God of the universe would be mindful of the passing needs/desires of one speck in all of creation. But, I've been in serious jams in my life where I know that prayer has helped me through. I do believe it helped me through my surgery. I felt a peace for sure... didn't know or worry about the outcome.

In the end it's all a big mystery. And I'm thankful for that, also.
There's plenty of evidence out there both scientific and non-scientific did prayer reaching out the spirit reaching out to God having a regular religious practice really does help your body mind and soul. Go check out a book about worry by Dale Carnegie. It was published back in the mid-twentieth century it's Frey old school I kept the book for about 7 weeks then I kind of got overdosed on it and I returned it back to a used book sellar. He had plenty of stories though in the book of people having miraculous healings and recoveries in all kinds of beautiful things happening to them via religious practice doesn't matter if it's Muslim Christian Buddhist Law of Attraction whatever.

I am a Christian, thankfully for God's grace and mercy. I don't look at my faith to be an answer to nor recipe for all of the problems in life. After all, Jesus promised us we would go through trials, be persecuted, etc. But He said "I will never leave you nor forsake you." The true hope is beyond this life in this warped and messed up world. Salvation is being saved from God's wrath, which will come on the day of judgment. Salvation is also being saved to a life of peace, true joy, true contentment, in spite of the circumstances.

It is always the trials of life which get our attention, and which grow us. These trials are likened to a precious metal being put into fire in order to burn away impurities. Whether we like it or not, that is how we humans function. We tend to go our own way until we make a mess of things. The process of sanctification... becoming ever more and more like Christ... is an ongoing process that will not end until we take our last breath on this earth.

. But He said "I will never leave you nor forsake you."
and yet exactly that happens ... even to the devout

It is always the trials of life which get our attention, and which grow us.

I agree entirely and it has also been my personal experience. However this growth comes within, it is what we find in ourselves in this time and the reflection upon it over time to reinforce that we had that strength all along.

Last edited:
Uh-Oh, this is a discussion that has no answers from forums like VR.com.....and is almost certain to offend somebody. We each have our right to practice our beliefs among those who are like-minded but international forums bring together much different beliefs as well as a number who would be classed as non-believers..... let's keep it that a way.

Uh-Oh, this is a discussion that has no answers from forums like VR.com
agreed ... it was indeed silly of me to step into this particular quagmire. You have my sincere undertaking I will not post on it again.

hatTip.gif

(*call it a morning weakness on a topic I fee passionate about)

Thanks so much for starting this thread. This is a subject I've often thought about asking you all, but was reluctant because religion is such a personal, private issue. But we all have a caring relationship here @VR, with each other and I think that relationship merits discussion of most everything, religion included.

After 2 OHSs, I am most definately closer to my Lord. I've had my share of unfortunate events in my life, but I see each as God's way of molding me into what He wants me to be, what He wants to accomplish through me. We all have spiritual markers ( or as Dr. Phil would say- defining moments) in our lives. How we respond to those events and the choices we make, shape our character and our relationship with God. I find that keeping a journal and writing things on paper helps me to see and realize those spiritual markers or defining moments. I've made a list beginning with my grandparents and my parents lives and the influences they had on my life. My father had a near death experience when he was only 15 years old which really had an impact on his life and future generations. (I would be glad to share that story with anyone interested). Then the list continues with events in my life that required making choices. I have found that we can learn how to see things through God's perspective rather than through our own by looking back in our past.

I also feel that everything happens for a purpose. We are only here on this earth for few years compared to the reward He has planned for us in heaven.
We just have to believe, trust, and obey. Hardships will occur because we are human. Often, we won't understand why bad things happen to good people. But the wonderful thing about being a believer is that one day, when we do make it to heaven, we can ask God why. He will tell us and then, it will all make sense.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's stories, thank you for sharing your thoughts and beliefs. Please know that you are all in my prayers. I love you all, but more importantly, GOD LOVES YOU!! Gail
Pls PM me about the NDE. I've read a few books, & gosh darn if it makes a lot of sense

Uh-Oh, this is a discussion that has no answers from forums like VR.com.....and is almost certain to offend somebody. We each have our right to practice our beliefs among those who are like-minded but international forums bring together much different beliefs as well as a number who would be classed as non-believers..... let's keep it that a way.
So believers aren't allowed to express themselves? Nobody is trying to make anyone else adhere to any set of beliefs. What you're basically saying is that it offends you for someone to have these beliefs and to express them in your presence. In a situation like this... a life or death situation with a problem with our heart valves... it is only obvious that someone who does adhere to such beliefs would find quite a level of peace and solace within their faith. Honor that and respect the person who believes that way.

It doesn't offend me for you (or anyone else) to say you are an unbeliever. That is your choice. I would never think of saying that you should keep that to yourself.

We're people from all over the world, from many different backgrounds. There are going to be people who have different religious beliefs. That should be welcomed... not censored. Only if someone makes threats or such, should there be something done about it.

and yet exactly that happens ... even to the devout

I agree entirely and it has also been my personal experience. However this growth comes within, it is what we find in ourselves in this time and the reflection upon it over time to reinforce that we had that strength all along.

I would disagree that He leaves/forsakes His own. I say that, firstly based upon His promise. I say it, secondly, based upon my own life experiences.

I would also agree that there are people who lean upon their own selves for these types of matters. How that works out for them, I am unable to give that answer because I am not them. But, as a Christian, I can say that having trust and faith in our Creator and the hope for what is still yet to come, in the midst of whatever it may be... heart valve issues... oh, let's say, I dunno.. a worldwide virus situation, upon which many people also disagree..;). there is a peace and contentment to be drawn from one's faith. A person who believes in a Creator, an intended design to it all, versus someone who believes that everything came about from purely natural processes, somehow, is going to have extremely different foundational beliefs against which all other thoughts, decisions, perceptions, etc., etc, etc., are formed. It is only natural for a believer to rely upon their faith, especially when our own life and death are on the line.

I'm sort of lost. I believe in God and I beleive I'm here for a reason, but at the sametime, I'm bitter that I'm here in the condition I'm in. I feel more like I'm being tortured then to be here to fulfill some specific God set goal. I have a real good idea what Job felt like. I just wish I had his patience with things. Mine are growing very short, very fast.
Totally agreed and understood

I know you said especially women, but.......

I know you said especially women, but.......

Michelle, I think you are very correct to state that it is natural for anyone heading into such an event as OHS to begin to pray to God. And I believe that is where we make our largest mistake; most folks didn't pray before and will stop very shortly after they are feeling recovered from their major experience, accident, or what ever brought them to prayer.
Is the question really "Are we more religious" or maybe "are we more aware of a higher power" "more aware that their may be a reason for us to be here; no matter how small it may seem".
Do each of us have a specified purpose here in this life?
I think the answer to the latter will tell us where we stand 'religiously'!

In our greatest times of need; I believe all of us are looking for help from above. It's very natural; but we should not take His grace for granted!
Now, I'm done preaching to myself and will be interested to see what others have to say.

Ben
Agreed

Latest posts

Back