Are we high risk?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almost_hectic

As a post op heart patient with a valve replacement and an aortic graft, my cardio has always warned me about the dangers of an unchecked virus settling into endocarditis. Hs always advised me if I even think I might have strep to not even question it to go straight away and get a prescription for antibiotics. So with all this Covid19 business theres lots of mixed information swirling around and Im trying to ask the one question as it pertains to my heart health as a post-op patient... Should I consider myself high-risk? Im already taking all the necessary precautions. I just don't know the real answer to that question. Can someone here answer that for me?

................. theres lots of mixed information swirling around and Im trying to ask the one question as it pertains to my heart health as a post-op patient... Should I consider myself high-risk? Im already taking all the necessary precautions. I just don't know the real answer to that question.

I doubt that many, or any, of us has had to go thru anything like this.....I know I haven't. All I can do is respond to the virus by following the basic rules that are being outlined......social distance, washing hands, wearing gloves and mask, no unnecessary trips outside my home, etc...........and keeping my fingers and toes crossed:unsure:.

I believe endocarditis and strep are both bacterial, not viral, so not sure how to relate those to covid-19.

It's hard to find specific information, but what I have put together from listening to several interviews is the main problems are age, obesity, diabetes, hypertension, and weak immune system, not necessarily in that order. I think some people with heart disease are high risk and others not as much. I don't believe an artificial valve alone is a significant risk, if your heart is otherwise healthy. I had a pulmonary test as part of workup for valve replacement and my lungs were in excellent shape. If someone has a pulmonary deficiency along with an artificial valve, then they are likely at higher risk.

Early on, there were reports of coronavirus attacking the heart (ace-2), but I haven't seen any recent reports verifying that. It appears the virus attacks the lower respiratory system, which is why so many need to be on ventilators. How is your health leaving out the heart valve? I think that is the important question.

I am disappointed the task force hasn't published health information on people who have had critical cases or died from covid-19. The best we can do is try to not get covid-19. CDC should have been more specific about who are at risk and recommended everyone wear a mask at least a month ago.

ETA: One other interesting tidbit I picked up is that the majority of old people have at least 1 co-morbidity. So when they say over 65 (or whatever age they use) with co-morbidity, that includes most people over 65.

Last edited:
Aside from my cardiac implants, which have me on Coumadin (if that relates to anything) otherwise Im in pretty good health. Although I am prone to arrhythmia, which I think I read somewhere is complicated by respiratory issues as a result of Covid... maybe, not sure.

This has been discussed in other strings.

For myself, having just come from the hospital two days ago - and taking some new medicatons that may or may not agree with me - and being weakened by the heart issues that I've apparently been puting up with for a few months, I consider myself to be a high risk. I'm also over 65. My resistance is probably below normal, my strength hasn't returned yet. and I'll probably stay at home when it isn't essential to go outside.

OTOH - for a person who is strong and healthy, with good resistance to colds and tihings like that, and just happens to have a prosthetic valve, wearing a mask, and gloves, doing the requisite amount of washing, I don't see the risks as being very high. But, then, what the hell do I know?

Last edited:
What could be risky, too, is that if we don't hurry up and get this plague soon, there may not be enough medical resources that can properly handle patients. So - we have two choices -- prepare ouselves, limit any trips outside, wear gloves and masks, wash our hands, use hand sanitizers, etc - or go out and get the virus, assuming that you'll get proper care (if needed) before medical facilities dry up and medical professionals die or burn out.

For me, I'll try to do the first option. I hope you all do, too.

As do most, to be as safe as possible I follow guidelines and know I am considered at higher risk of developing complications in the course of developing COVID-19 and stay at home. At the same time that is not a very comforting thought; “being at risk”. I am 38 yo who ran half a marathon a couple of weeks ago despite of my mechanical valve. In general I still find it difficult sometimes to live with the uncertainties of having this heart condition. So I do what I do most of the time and that is believe in the most positive but stick to the rules and be as cautious as possible.

I don’t think IE is commonly caused by viruses, I think they are a more common cause for myocarditis, that’s what I read at least. Having had bacterial IE and having survived that, I do know as do many here I think, how much of an infection the body can take, so that’s good.

With over 7k deaths in US, I guaranty they have a spreadsheet with the data.
they have a databases with data ... but its still too early to do more than release preliminary findings ... why? Because this is still happening.

7K deaths will seem pretty much just the start soon enough (and you know, those medical people are still struggling just to cope.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/...york-bodies.html?referringSource=articleShare

with 277K infections going up like a rocket launch I suspect you ain't seen nothing yet.

The credible info I have seen is that Covid can result in myocarditis via the ACE 2 receptors, leading to reduced heart function. One doc I watched in a video said that because of that, COD is ultimately often heart failure, not respiratory failure. Obviously, any pre-existing compromised heart function significantly increases risk. I had a phone consult with the cardiologist on the heart function team that follows me, and she left no room for doubt that in her view I am at increased risk (I have mechanical mitral valve, pacemaker, and 40% ef on my last echo) and should be avoiding external contact religiously. Up to that point I was doing a good job of rationalizing away my risk, but not after that conversation.

Yes, they're creating spreadsheets and records of cases - but apparently by ethnicity. I've heard that 'african americans' (I don't like that inexact term - my sister-in-law is from Africa, and now an American citizen, and she's snow white) have a higher incidence of COVID-19 than the general population - armed with that data, increased educaton programs should help reduce the spread - but many scientists and political officials still don't know about increased cases in certain populations, and aren't implementing efforts to reduce the transmission through appropriate adverting and public awareness.

But Bonow said the damage observed in COVID-19 patients could be from the virus directly infecting the heart muscle. Initial research suggests the coronavirus attaches to certain receptors in the lungs, and those same receptors are found in heart muscle as well.

The Kaiser Health New article just posted isn't specific as what the heart problems are. The only ones mentioned involved the virus loosening existing arterial plaque.

I asked my cardiologist about ace inhibitors (lisinopril) and she said...American college of cardiology, american heart association and heart failure society all made statement last week.... If you are on acei or ARB DO NOT stop. Don't start if not in one and dont stop if you are already on one

In my humble opinion, there might be some risk to heart valve replacement patients simply because coughing puts a strain on the heart which might be more of a problem with heart valve patients, similar to what @Protimenow posted in his thread Stool Softeners and valve replacement 'pushing' on the loo puts strain on the heart. I have a chonric cough and when I get a fit of it my heart rate climbs rapidly and stays up for quite some time after the fit has finished and my blood pressure rises - I cannot imagine the strain that the worse cough of Covid-19 gives.

As a post op heart patient with a valve replacement and an aortic graft, my cardio has always warned me about the dangers of an unchecked virus settling into endocarditis. Hs always advised me if I even think I might have strep to not even question it to go straight away and get a prescription for antibiotics. So with all this Covid19 business theres lots of mixed information swirling around and Im trying to ask the one question as it pertains to my heart health as a post-op patient... Should I consider myself high-risk? Im already taking all the necessary precautions. I just don't know the real answer to that question. Can someone here answer that for me?
We are all high risk and more so when you have other health issues. That is why I get the Flu shot every year. My brother has Bronchial asthma, so he is high risk also. Just if you must go somewhere, use face mask, gloves and use wipes or Hand Sanitizer. l

Latest posts

Back