Aotic Valve Repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyR

I went in for a replacement but the doc did a repair which was a surprise and a pleasant one. :D I heard repair at aortic position is very difficult, but i trust my surgeon being the best in the country. :D I am just looking for people who had a repair on the aortic valve and also i heard it can last a lifetime, I just wanted to know how long usually does a repaired aortic valve last? Thanks in advance.

AmyR,

In May the Mayo doctors released their latest study of 332 aortic valve repairs done at the Mayo Clinic between 1986 and 2011. Freedom from re-operation rates were 78% at ten years and 72% at fifteen years. I had my severely regurgitating bicuspid valve repaired at Mayo in April so I too am looking for a positive, long-term result. One Mayo cardiologist implied that the repair could be lifelong, but he was also quick to point out that there are no guarantees for any procedure. It is interesting to note that my surgeon, Dr. Hartzell Schaff, is a strong promoter of mechanical valves over tissue and yet he chose to do a repair on me. Obviously he thinks repairs have the possibility of lasting a long time or he would not have made it his first choice.

Aortic valve repair is really only available to patients with regurgitation and little or no stenosis. That's a small percentage of valve patients overall and probably explains why only a few clinics and hospitals make it available. I did a lot of research about aortic valve repairs before choosing that option and it looks like repairs have actually improved over the past five years. Surgeons around the world have been working hard to standardize the procedure so that positive results are more easily replicated. Our repairs were likely done the exact same way; let's hope they last a long, long time.

Tom

Yayyyyy Tom C So happy to find you fellow repaired friend. :D I also hope the same. You atleast got your time to study about the aortic valve repair. I went in for a replacement and on the table the doc decided to do a repair cause he thought i am a hyper active young adult for whom the mechanical valve would not be good, thats what he tells to joke with me but the fact was he found my valve repairable and lasting for a good time and did it. It came as a shock when i got to know while in the I.T.U. I was like darn i did not read anything about that and that's when my doc came n he was like you young mutts think you internet jokers know more than the doctors. :p and i ended up trying hard not to laugh so just grinned to which he laughed. :D

Back