Aortic Valve Surgery on the Road Ahead

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

heartlikeawheel

VR.org Supporter
VR.org Supporter
Excellent news on the Cath. That is some good piece of mind right there! One less variable tand things should go smoothly.

carolinemc

Hello everyone, I found this forum a few months ago and it has been extremely helpful in being able to read all the stories of people here who have gone through similar valve related issues. I'm currently in my mid 20s and was diagnosed over a decade ago with aortic valve regurgitation that was moderate after contracted rheumatic fever. I was recommended for AVR but up till now have not undergone it. The last couple years my LVEDD has been pushing the high 6s and LVEF dipping into the lower 50s and although I have no symptoms unless I exert myself (get SOB after a while and obv cannot meet my age standards on a stress test) so I think it's just about time to do something this year. I'm encouraged to see the advances being made in field of aortic valve repair and after all this time I have severe AR because of a RCC prolapse, no calcification or stenosis, no enlarged root issues so it is an isolated aortic insufficiency problem. I would prefer to be able have this repaired rather than having to deal with the prospect of a mechanical valve and warfarin or multiple ops with tissue valves failing quickly in younger people.

If anyone has any experience with undergoing repair for isolated aortic valve insufficiency or any stories that would be helpful. I'm hopeful that the introduction of the HAART annuloplasty geometric ring and more experience overall in aortic valve cusp pathology will help repairs be more durable, obviously given the size of my ventricle I would only want to have a repair attempted if a good and durable repair with little to no AR is possible
Welcome to a great home of people who can try to ease your mind. I had aortic valve repair back in 1973 as an 8 year old, called a double bypass. It s more commonly done on children and adults. Only that repair can only do so much, then over time, the aortic valve does have to be replaced. I had a 15 year guarantee on the repair, so I went past the 15 year guarantee and had the replacement done in 2001, St. Jude's leaflet valve. So I hope that it helps that some of us are lifelong heart people. Not all have man made valves, or tissue, or bovine valves, some even have the more modern valves. Mine is 20 years old. Good luck in feeling welcome here and keep asking questions. Welcome to a great place for information and experience.

Flymark

VR.org Supporter
VR.org Supporter
Welcome VP69. As you already know you landed at the right place. Use this forum as the great source for topical issues and experiences that it is.

vp69

just wanted to let you guys know everything went smooth with the surgery.. valve was too damaged to be repaired so I had the ROSS procedure. I'm already off pain meds and basically doing most everything I was before the operation, just with a bit more fatigue. At 25 it's a lot to hope for but I am hopeful that this (with the better techniques) can last me out without another open heart, and just do a TPVR if the homograft on the pulmonary side needs to be addressed in the later decades, with hopefully more durable valves in that position. extremely hopeful, and happy. Hoping for a full remodeling of my LV in the months to come. Thank you all for your input during my journey

Croooser

VR.org Supporter
VR.org Supporter
Glad to hear that your surgery was successful. Your diligence in understanding your condition and the various options is commendable. It will serve you well in your recovery and ongoing monitoring. Best wishes for a long, long term life of the Ross.

Chuck C

just wanted to let you guys know everything went smooth with the surgery.. valve was too damaged to be repaired so I had the ROSS procedure. I'm already off pain meds and basically doing most everything I was before the operation, just with a bit more fatigue. At 25 it's a lot to hope for but I am hopeful that this (with the better techniques) can last me out without another open heart, and just do a TPVR if the homograft on the pulmonary side needs to be addressed in the later decades, with hopefully more durable valves in that position. extremely hopeful, and happy. Hoping for a full remodeling of my LV in the months to come. Thank you all for your input during my journey
Welcome to the other side vp69! Hoping that your LV remodels completely. Please keep us posted regarding how your recovery comes along.