Aortic valve repair.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyR

Hello,

I had my 5 months follow up and i feel totally human by now. I just wanted to know if after aortic valve repair life can be taken back to normal or not?

I mean my doc says no lifting weights and no aggressive sports etc but is it really imp that i shouldnt do it at all? Also how much would doing all activities effect my valve? Darn i have so many questions. Just to know how has life been for people after a AV REPAIR?

Wow Amy 5 months already?!? Time flies . . . glad you're feeling human again!

I had my AV replaced and I have no restrictions, so I find it interesting that you've been given restrictions that I would have found unacceptable. Did you know this when you chose a repair instead of a replacement?

ski girl- Time sure flies, when the doc asked me its how long since surgery, i just thought and i was like oh its 5 months already. and my doc laughed. :p

These restrictions are not like restrictions but he feels it is better to avoid. I feel he is telling it cause he wants my repaired valve to last as long as possible. Its just so confusing at times. I am scheduled to travel to the US next week and these thoughts sometimes make me feel burdened.

Like the Nike ad says, just do it.

I was quite young when I had mine done but I lived as normally as I wanted to. Although for most hiking, cycling and sports isn't normal. Normally its TV and the couch.

Live life!

Glad to hear you're feeling good ;-)

hi amy and great you are doing well, be carefull going against docs orders, he will have his reasons, i think what you need to do is clarify those reasons with him, and maybe have a word with your gp as well, it may well be that you can live your life to the full and imo i cant see why not, but am no expert and your doc is, good luck and enjoy your trip,

I'm with Neil on this one. I would first try to understand the doc's reasons for limits, then decide if you want to abide by them. Sometimes the reasons may be valid for you, sometimes they are just standard medical advice that may not apply. Once you understand those reasons, you can make an informed judgement for yourself.

PS to my post

follow the doctors instructions to a T ... then as they say you can do stuff ... just do it! So I was not meaning to over do it at first. Small steps forward - no steps back.

AmyR,

Biggest issue with weight lifting is the extreme. If you can't breath through the entire lift, you're putting a significant increase in blood pressure on the valve (and all of your arteries really). I know Gymguy does it, and it's something he's okay with, but I also think he doesn't require near the effort to lift a lot of weight when compared with mere mortals!

Normal exersize, and cardio in particular I've always understood to be okay and healthy. There are still a few cardiologists out there that are ultra-conservative and err on the side of "don't do anything". Nothing wrong with a second opinion in those cases.

Certainly don't ignore your doctors guidance based on a few posts here - but it does sound a bit conservative.

Amy-I'm almost 6 months post op, and have no restrictions from my surgery. I am a bike rider, and a month ago was hit by a car. My sternotomy held together just fine…the ribs broke somewhere else…I'd say live your life the way you want to-your body is better than before surgery

Hi Amy,

Glad to hear that you're doing well! I'd also listen to what your docs are telling you - and I know that can be confusing! I didn't have my bicuspid repaired but replaced - I'm a runner and the surgeon told me that running is okay for me......but the cardiologist told me basically to sit in a chair all day long and do nothing (no, it wasn't that extreme) but her concern was similar to your doc's concern in that she wants to make sure that my valve lasts as long as possible..... At first I was super confused by these two docs of mine, but then I realized that probably NO ONE will give you or me a straight up answer - because they just don't know.

For me, I've decided that the quality of my life is really important and since my surgeon is okay with the running - I run - and I choose not to live in the what-ifs.....

You may wish to get a second opinion regarding your activity levels - that might help you!

I second the recommendation to get more clarification. If the Dr. is suggesting you change your lifestyle, it's reasonable to ask why. If you had a BAV, then there is some risk of aneurysm, even if you already had a repair. It is because of my risk of a repeat aneurysm that my Dr's made similar recommendations for me. I don't think I've heard of such recommendations when there was not a bicuspid valve (or some other connective tissue disorder) and the accompanying risk for aneurysm. I go for my 6m follow-up with my surgeon on Monday. I'm going to ask if he still makes the same recommendation.

Amy R, glad your doing well. I had my aortic valve repaired about two months before you. I feel great and am basically back to normal. Just remember you still have a bicuspid aortic valve, but one that works better than it did. I agree with Superman and I make sure I can breath easily whenever I lift something. It does seem possible that high pressures in the heart could distort the valve a bit and cause it to start leaking again. Hopefully you're OK with lighter weights and more reps. It seems like a good compromise.

Any chance the trip to the US has you feeling a little burdened, too? Hope that goes well.

Oh wow... thanks a lot guys for the replies. I think i would try talking to him with the reason for not continuing with activities. Though he is like you are okay for the cross trainers and brisk walks and stuff. So i shall start off with that till then. :)

Have you asked the doctor, usually the restricts are at the beginning of the healing process after surgery and usually a short period of time. Be sure to ask your doctor questions, that is the job of the doctor to answer any questions of concerns you have. I was restricted for a few weeks. It might be he wants to make sure the sternum heals properly. Do you pick up more than 5 pounds of anything? He just wants you to heal properly. Just ask, wouldn't hurt at this point of time.

Latest posts

Back