Aortic Stenosis Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jeffrey

I just found this site and looks like I'm not alone.

I'm 53 and will have surgery within a month (gotta get over this broncitas first). I found that I have a bicuspid aortic valve when I was 40. The way I found out was that I had a health appraisal when I turned 40 and they found a heart murmur. I was asked how long I had had it, and I said "I don't have a heart murmur". They said: "yeah you do, wanna hear it?" Long story short, they sent me to a cardiologist, they did an echo and here I am.

A month ago when I did my six month checkup, the doc said it was time. Sort of a shock because I thought it would be another 8-10 years orginally. They did a TEE on me, and my valve has closed down significantly in the last six months. I was scheduled for an angiogram this week, but I came down with broncitas, so it has been postponed for a couple of weeks. The valve surgery will be within a week of the angiogram - so within a month or so.

I'm having the surgery at Scripps Memorial in La Jolla, CA.

Any advice will be welcome - this is all new to me.

Jeff

Jeff,

Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place -- you will find many friendly, well-informed folks here willing to share their experiences.

An internist first discovered my murmur when I was in my 20s (other doctors didn't hear it), and I was monitored for 40 years before my aortic root had so enlarged and my valve become so leaky that surgery was a necessity. I am doing well at 66 and I am grateful for my lease on life.

You have every reason to be confident. If you have questions, ask away; there are plenty of people here who will answer.

Cheers,

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the group. I am a 53 year old woman whose story reads like yours. I had my surgery 3 months ago and am doing GREAT. There are days I don't even think about it. I have had no complications, my stamina is great now working on the strength.

The best advise I would give you right now is to find the best surgeon you can.

You will do great

xoxo
Just
KathyM

Jeff,

Since you have a BAV, I strongly recommend that you spend some time reading the Bicuspid Aorta Valve and Connective Tissue Disorder Forum.

Bottom Line: BAV is often a sign of Connective Tissue Disorder which can result in an Aortic Aneurism due to 'weak tissue'.

I would INSIST on being evaluated for an aneurism (either a Chest CT or MRI) since an Echocardigram doesn't image the entire aorta very well.

IF you have an aneurism or tissue disorder, then you will want to find the BEST AORTIC SURGEON you can. Surgery to the Aorta, especially the Aortic Arch, is beyond the average Heart Surgeon's 'comfort zone'. For aortic Surgery, you want a Best of the Best kind of surgeon. Dr. Raissi at Cedars Sinai comes to mind. Dr. Miller at Stanford is another one. Perhaps our resident BAV expert Arliss can tell you the names of some others in your area.

'AL Capshaw'

Hi Jeff -

There are a few other members in this area. One who had surgery, I think last year, was Dot4toto but I can't recall now if she had her aortic valve surgery at Scripps or Sharp. I'll do a site search and see if I can locate the name of her surgeon...

Anyway, welcome to the site; glad you found it and hoping all goes well.

Edit - I just checked and Tina's (Dot4toto's) surgery was at Scripps also, last August.

Avr

Avr

This is the right site for knowledge about your condition, hospitals, surgeons etc and support as you go through the process of pre-op to rehab. I'm scheduled for aortic valve replacement (and bypass) on Monday. After discovering this site I (like many) lurked for a while but as the reality of surgery set in I registered and am glad I did.

OHS is a scary thing and it's comforting to read what other people write about their experience because they are survivors who know what you are going to experience. So welcome and remember you are not al;one!

Welcome! I was 53 when I had my AVR. I also had stenosis. Bronchitis is miserable. Hoping your feeling better soon. Let us know how you are doing. Good luck to you.

Deb

Jeff....Welcome to the forum, you certainly found a great resource. This site was invaluable to me, I found it about a week before my surgery. Im 43 and had a Bicuspid valve with stenosis. My surgery was about 4 1/2 months ago and I am now back on my feet and doing more physically than I've done in 15 or 20 years. This morning I ran 5 miles without stopping for the first time in probably 2 decades. And in all honesty I could have ran longer as it was my legs that were barking, heart and breathing were a total non-issue which still kinda floors me. I was a wreck before my surgery emotionally, the waiting is worse that the recovery for sure. But once you get to the hospital I wouldn't be suprised if your calm and collected, thats what happened to me. I just realized that this is what I have to do, I accepted it, and said lets go !

Try to keep positive thoughts and you will be back on your feet in no time :)

Scott

Thanks for all the great replies.

I have a friend of 25 years (Jack) that had the same surgery by the same Dr (Scot Brewster- head of cardiovascular/thrombotic surgery at Scripps). At the time of his surgery last year, we spend several weeks checking out surgeons. Jack is like a new person now, and has his color and energy back, and so I'm actually looking forward to feeling better. Jack also had the surgery to repair an aneurisism of his aorta.

Funny how things work out- I knew I had a bicuspid valve 6-7 years before Jack, and he was very encouraging, and then he found out he had the same thing and needed surgery within a year or two. He has the bovine valve. He is also about 10 years older than I am.

The whole part of the surgery that I fear the most is the possibility of another stroke. I had an isechemic stroke in April 2006, and was in a rehab facility for a couple of months, having had to learn to walk and talk again. For the first 12-15 hours after my stroke, they thought I might die. They told my wife to prepare for the worst. (I couldn't stop vomiting for 12 hours, and they thought that might cause a seizure). I still have a slight slur and problems speaking when I am tired, and have a few other residuals. I have about 90% strength in my right side. All and all, I'm not too bad.

Anyway, that is my greatest fear. Thanks for you encouragement.

Jeff

Back