Aortic Replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAMES W

Premium Level User
Supporting Member
I had my aortic valve replaced Jan 31,2003. Am feeling surprising well after battling A-fib...which took 2 cardioversions to convert to normal sinus. Was released home... only to be readmitted after 4 days with pericardis..fluid build-up causing extreme SOB and near Tamponade..had 2100 ml drawn off over 4 days....again at home and apprehensive as to what will occur next.....Has anyone experienced any of these similar setbacks....Thanks and enjoy the posts.....

Welcome, James - there are others here who have had re-admissions after surgery and problems such as you mention. I can't comment, since I had bypass and all went well. The rest of the crew will be along shortly to give you their experiences. Again, welcome. God bless

Hi James-

Welcome to this wonderful site. Sorry you are having this problem after surgery. I can't help you with the problem you are having right now, my husband hasn't had that problem, although he's had 3 valve surgeries. But I know that there are several people on the board who did, and I'm sure they'll be along in a little bit to help you out.

Wishing you the best.

Good morning, James
Welcome to a great place. My husband, Tyce, had AVR this past June. While he didn't have any problem with shortness of breath and fluid buildup, he did have afib post op....luckily it corrected itself in the hospital after a few days, but he was sent home on Amiodarone---a very powerful, antiarrythmic drug. He was just weaned off that this past November/December, and thus far, all is well.

I know Amy from Jersey's husband was readmitted, perhaps you could send her an email as I don't think she posts very often. I'm sure there are many others on this site who will be telling you of their experiences.

I'm very glad you're feeling so well.....it will get better every day!

Welcome aboard.

Evelyn

Oops, sorry, I meant....Amy from Jersey's husband was readmitted post op with your symptoms.....not recently readmitted.

Hi James,

I also was re-admitted a couple of weeks after surgery due to both afib, high heart rate and a couple of blood clots in my lower leg. They kept me for 4 more days. I converted in the hospitial prior to my release and my high heart rate was controlled with digoxin, which I took for a couple of weeks, if I remember correctly. Smooth sailing since.

James - Welcome to the site. I was afib for about a month after surgery and was going back for a second cardioversion. Fortunately, the amiodarone took affect and I am off medication and afib has not returned. The hospital found my pericarditis on the last day in the hospital. They sent me home anyway, with Celebrex to take care of it. I never had it rechecked.

POST SURGERY

POST SURGERY

I GO IN FOR MY FINAL ECHO EVAL TOMORROW MORNING TO BE RELEASED FOR WORK.....I'M REALLY EXCITED TO GET BACK INTO LIFE'S FLOW....I'M A CHANGED....HUMBLED....AND VERY VERY HAPPY GUY - TO OPEN MY EYES EACH DAY AS IT IS A BLESSING FROM ABOVE..NO DOUBT...TALK ABOUT KINDER-GENTELER.....WHAT DOESN'T KILL US ONLY MAKES ME MORE DETERMINED TO SUCCEED AND LIVE TO BE 100.....I WILL ENDUR ANY # OF CHEST SPLITS TO SEE MY GRANDCHILDREN GROW OLD W/ ME.....THANK YOU TO ALL MEMBERS FOR THE WONDERFUL SUPPORT...COMPASSION AND UNDERSTANDING ONLY "WE" THE REBORN CAN APPRECIATE....

JAMES W
PORCINE AORTIC VALVE REPLACED 013103
ST ALS MEDICAL CENTER - BOISE ID
DR. ANDY FORBES - SURGEON DR MELINDA MARK CARDIOLOGIST

To James W-glad you are going back to work

To James W-glad you are going back to work

James,
When I read your post, it kind of reminded me of my husband. He had his aorta valve replaced mid- January with other complications along the way. Today, he is feeling really good and has been on his way to recovery for awhile. His doctor's released him to go back to work, if he eases it in. I know he has no intention of doing that!
Before his surgery, he complained about his job etc. Now the same job he complained about is looking real good- getting back to normal!
It is encouraging to see people get on with their life and appeciate it even more!
Linda

Hey James - I am truly glad to hear that things are going to get back to a form of normal for you -- you've earned it!

My thanks to you and Linda both for sharing the encouraging experiences. Hearing these stories is especially encouraging to those of us who still do not know when our surgeries will need to be.

God speed!

Latest posts

Back