Aortic Regurgitation - Worsening Symptoms At Night

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

movieman

I am scheduled for aortic valve/root replacement at the end of March. I frequently have episodes of nighttime wakeup from a sound sleep feeling very warm (not sweaty), followed by chest tightness. Sometimes this happens more than once during a night. Sublingual nitro helps most of the time. Is there something about being in a reclined position? Has anyone else experienced this?

I think that the schedule is exactly warranted. The solution to these issues is Valve Replacement.

I'm glad its not "sweaty" or that may indicate endo.

My own arrhythmias become worse at night. I'd initially thought it was a sensitivity to a glass of wine or so, but some time without any alcohol showed similar issues. I'm now on another path for a solution to that.

Best Wishes and just take it easy between now and March. Don't let stress or anxiety compound this and relax. To quote an old fave of mine from a book once again seeing screen time ...

1645911817234.png

Thanks for your encouraging reply. I'm here about 10 hours after my post, experiencing what I described. I made it about 3 hours after going to bed until waking with the tightness ... am taking a nitro tab now. The prospect of 30 more days/nights like this scares me. I've read about what's called nocturnal angina and seems to describe it.

The prospect of 30 more days/nights like this scares me. I've read about what's called nocturnal angina and seems to describe it.
a long time ago I was regularly in situations where I felt unsafe and was (reasonably legitimately) concerned that something was going to happen (not death but somewhat fearsome).

I decided that if it happened it would happen and I would deal with it then, if it didn't happen why should I sit around in fear? Minutes stretch in distorted time and hours of that passes slowly.

I decided to just stop worrying about it and look out the window or think about what interested me (usually something technical).

Years later I was reading Dune and came across that "litany" and it struck a chord with me ... a chord of "we both saw that".

Years after that in the study of Stoic philosophy I learned of Epictetus and also felt a commonality of harmony in thought

1645953261425.png

Stoicism is not a religion, it is a life philosophy. It is (curiously) maligned by religious groups and described as what it is not. One such depiction is that it encourages feelinglessness (personally I'd attribute that more to Buddhism).

I see it as a way of looking at your genetic inheritance as being the descendant of those who survived; making you a survivor. A way of looking past problems and only at either solutions or acceptance.

Seneca is one of the greats:
1645953474169.png

worth reflecting on that...

Myself I think the best modern introduction to Stoic views is in this video:

if you find yourself awake and have time, I suggest you watch it and see if you can find something in there to help calm and quiet your inner bell (which is rung by the impacts of concern for what may be).

Best Wishes

My own arrhythmias become worse at night. I'd initially thought it was a sensitivity to a glass of wine or so, but some time without any alcohol showed similar issues. I'm now on another path for a solution to that.

Were the arrhythmia real or was it that they "felt" real but weren't real? I was convinced I was having a shocking number if them at night a few weeks after my valve replacement (felt like thousands) but I only had 8 PVC's in a 24 hour period in reality (Holter monitor). I have to say, in my case, I was frightened by them, even if they weren't real. In my case, I think I was just feeling the heart beat much more so soon post op.

Thanks for your encouraging reply. I'm here about 10 hours after my post, experiencing what I described. I made it about 3 hours after going to bed until waking with the tightness ... am taking a nitro tab now. The prospect of 30 more days/nights like this scares me. I've read about what's called nocturnal angina and seems to describe it.

You don't say why you are getting your valve and root replaced, but things can quickly deteriorate into an emergency situation for some problems. People die from valve problems if not cared for in time. I suggest discussing your symptoms with your cardiologist ASAP.

Back